The Student Room Group

Starting to regret my degree choice

Since starting GCSE Psychology in year 11, I became set on a psychology degree. Psychology really fascinates me, particularly the more scientific side - biological and cognitive. I'd love to work with children as an educational psychologist, but I know it's extremely competitive.
Over the summer I've read threads about how little psychology graduates have gotten with their degree. Most are in jobs which do not even require a degree such as healthcare assistants.
I've always thought that, if you can get a job you like without a degree, then don't waste money on the degree. I don't want to be set on falling lucky with an educational psychologist qualification and job.

Can anyone give me any advice (or hope) with regards to my situation?

Btw I've just finished A Levels in Psychology, Biology & Chemistry.
Only study Psychology at uni if you're genuinely interested in it as an academic subject. But unfortunately these days many jobs ask for a degree, where in the past it wasn't necessary. Maybe you should go to uni to keep your job options open, and seeing as you like Psychology - may as well do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by yabbayabba
Only study Psychology at uni if you're genuinely interested in it as an academic subject. But unfortunately these days many jobs ask for a degree, where in the past it wasn't necessary. Maybe you should go to uni to keep your job options open, and seeing as you like Psychology - may as well do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really am interested. I'm always annoying my friends with things I find interesting about psychology. But I don't want to be doing the degree if I'm going to come out of it unemployed and with a lot of student loans to pay off if I do reach the threshold.
Original post by prophetkid
if you can get a job you like without a degree, then don't waste money on the degree. I don't want to be set on falling lucky with an educational psychologist qualification and job.

You can't become a professional psychologist without a degree, unless you want to be an assistant for the rest of your life.

If you work hard, get into a really good university which is respected by employers, then you will have no problem finding a job. Of course, you might not get your dream job straight after getting a degree, but it doesn't mean that the wait won't pay off.

Also, since the government is making cuts to student loans and fees can still rise, the number of people applying to university is slowly decreasing.
Massive oversupply of psychology graduates vs jobs. If you want to increase your odds, aim to be towards the top of your university cohort and get relevant experience. If it's educational psychology that interests you, most cities have relevant charities that look for volunteers.

Otherwise, reconsider your degree. I'd you are interested in biological psychology, have you looked into a biology degree with an emphasis on neuroscience?
Reply 5
Original post by Fleming1928
You can't become a professional psychologist without a degree, unless you want to be an assistant for the rest of your life.

If you work hard, get into a really good university which is respected by employers, then you will have no problem finding a job. Of course, you might not get your dream job straight after getting a degree, but it doesn't mean that the wait won't pay off.

Also, since the government is making cuts to student loans and fees can still rise, the number of people applying to university is slowly decreasing.

I'm fully aware of how to get into the area. I've done a lot of research.
I currently have a conditional firm place at York St John University - not respected but I love it. Obviously going to try my luck with UCAS Adjustment for University of York.

I don't think the number of students will decrease too much. I'm from a really low income family, I'm entitled to the entire grant etc. It's not really put me off going, it's the prospects that puts me off a little.
I really am interested. I'm always annoying my friends with things I find interesting about psychology. But I don't want to be doing the degree if I'm going to come out of it unemployed and with a lot of student loans to pay off if I do reach the threshold.

Well if you want to become an education psychologist and that's your dream, then you have to go to uni. If you don't make it as an educational psychologist, you still have a degree which is useful for many industries, so it won't be a total waste of time.

By not going to uni, you're already limiting your options and being pessimistic, which seems a bit silly and like you're giving up already. Yes, many people are unemployed, but you may as well try and see how far you get. Who knows, you may become an educational psychologist.
Reply 7
Original post by Quantex
Massive oversupply of psychology graduates vs jobs. If you want to increase your odds, aim to be towards the top of your university cohort and get relevant experience. If it's educational psychology that interests you, most cities have relevant charities that look for volunteers.

Otherwise, reconsider your degree. I'd you are interested in biological psychology, have you looked into a biology degree with an emphasis on neuroscience?

I have tons of voluntary experience behind me already. Plus my firm York St John offers a 4 week placement which would be so valuable. I have thought about a neuroscience degree, but here I am holding firm and insurance choices for psych starting this September >_<
I'm fully aware of how to get into the area. I've done a lot of research.
I currently have a conditional firm place at York St John University - not respected but I love it. Obviously going to try my luck with UCAS Adjustment for University of York.

I don't think the number of students will decrease too much. I'm from a really low income family, I'm entitled to the entire grant etc. It's not really put me off going, it's the prospects that puts me off a little.

Best of luck with the adjustment. I know that many people (especially at my sixth form) say that which university you go to does not matter and that all degrees are treated equally. Of course this is a huge lie. When you actually begin studying psychology at university, you might get interested in a different area and decide that in the future you will want a different career. A lot of graduates end up working somewhere which is not related to their degree, for example most degrees allow you to work in a bank.

Going to university will definitely give you an advantage. Even if you don't end up working in your chosen field in the beginning, you will still end up making more money than people who have not went to university. I'd say that going to university is always worth it, especially since you're really passionate about psychology.
Since starting GCSE Psychology in year 11, I became set on a psychology degree. Psychology really fascinates me, particularly the more scientific side - biological and cognitive. I'd love to work with children as an educational psychologist, but I know it's extremely competitive.
Over the summer I've read threads about how little psychology graduates have gotten with their degree. Most are in jobs which do not even require a degree such as healthcare assistants.
I've always thought that, if you can get a job you like without a degree, then don't waste money on the degree. I don't want to be set on falling lucky with an educational psychologist qualification and job.

Can anyone give me any advice (or hope) with regards to my situation?

Btw I've just finished A Levels in Psychology, Biology & Chemistry.

People are probably in some of those jobs because it's a stepping stone to other studies (like clinical/educational psychology). Just because psychology graduates are in those sorts of jobs doesn't mean it's not through choice. Psychology is a versatile degree, but it will also depend on how motivated you are as an individual

Quick Reply

Latest