The Student Room Group

How long does it take for a wisdom tooth removal to heal?

I got one lower wisdom tooth out yesterday. I've been quite lucky with the pain - I've had none.

I am MAJORLY paranoid about getting dry socket, so I've hardly been eating/drinking anything. I feel scared to even swallow or talk at the risk of dislodging the clot!

I'm starving and I can't wait to eat without worrying. At what point can you start to be more relaxed about eating without running the risk of dry socket? If anyone has any experiences/info that would be great!
Original post by Airfairy
I got one lower wisdom tooth out yesterday. I've been quite lucky with the pain - I've had none.

I am MAJORLY paranoid about getting dry socket, so I've hardly been eating/drinking anything. I feel scared to even swallow or talk at the risk of dislodging the clot!

I'm starving and I can't wait to eat without worrying. At what point can you start to be more relaxed about eating without running the risk of dry socket? If anyone has any experiences/info that would be great!

I would guess you'd be fine after a few days, if it was only out yesterday I'd still be a little paranoid. Although I got 3 dry sockets (my blood doesn't clot normally) so perhaps not the best person to give you advice. :laugh: though I wiill say; it hurts like an absolute mother****er so you're right to be wary. :afraid:

Have you tried eating yogurt, ice cream, or apple sauce?
Reply 2
Original post by Sabertooth
I would guess you'd be fine after a few days, if it was only out yesterday I'd still be a little paranoid. Although I got 3 dry sockets (my blood doesn't clot normally) so perhaps not the best person to give you advice. :laugh: though I wiill say; it hurts like an absolute mother****er so you're right to be wary. :afraid:

Have you tried eating yogurt, ice cream, or apple sauce?

Oh...wow...3 dry sockets?! From what I've read about dry socket, you have my sincere condolences!

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about diving in with normal food just yet, I was just wondering when so that I can dream. I've been eating mashed potatoes, ice cream and yogurt so far. It's just boring af and it's surprising how little this food is doing for my hunger. May try some soup tomorrow, I just read somewhere that hot food isn't a good idea because it can melt the blood clot. Seems like everything you do poses a risk!
Honestly I was so surprised at how long it took for it to completely heal when I had mine out, I'm sure it was painful for at least a good 5 days if not a whole week (although gradually improving). I'm sure I ate some tomato soup on the night of the procedure (I had it taken out early afternoon I think). I didn't get dry socket or anything. Mostly I ate tinned tomato soup (not too hot though like you said), yoghurt, bread and butter. Like you I was permanently hungry and couldn't wait to be able to eat properly again! I really underestimated how long the pain would last.
Reply 4
Original post by Unconventional.
Honestly I was so surprised at how long it took for it to completely heal when I had mine out, I'm sure it was painful for at least a good 5 days if not a whole week (although gradually improving). I'm sure I ate some tomato soup on the night of the procedure (I had it taken out early afternoon I think). I didn't get dry socket or anything. Mostly I ate tinned tomato soup (not too hot though like you said), yoghurt, bread and butter. Like you I was permanently hungry and couldn't wait to be able to eat properly again! I really underestimated how long the pain would last.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually in pain it just feels a bit tender. It's been three days now and the hole is just as open as it was three days ago.

I'm sooo sick of mushy foods and soup. Luckily Ben and Jerry are getting me through.

When did you start eating 100% normally again? The other side of my mouth is starting to ache, presumably because I've only been eating on that side.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Thanks for the reply. I'm not actually in pain it just feels a bit tender. It's been three days now and the hole is just as open as it was three days ago.

I'm sooo sick of mushy foods and soup. Luckily Ben and Jerry are getting me through.

When did you start eating 100% normally again? The other side of my mouth is starting to ache, presumably because I've only been eating on that side.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmm, ice cream. :biggrin:

I don't think I ate properly until about day 6 or so, but for me that was only because I had a lot of pain, not because I was worried about dry socket. The area was so sore and it had like, travelled out to making my jaw really sore too. I missed food lots. </3

I think after three days if it's not the pain stopping you, you should be ok to start eating sort-of normally again as long as you eat gently and maybe avoid anything very hard or very chewy. Have you thought about ringing your dentist or dental hospital and asking them? I had my wisdom tooth out about a year and a half ago now so my memory of it is a bit blurry. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Reply 6
Original post by Unconventional.
Mmm, ice cream. :biggrin:

I don't think I ate properly until about day 6 or so, but for me that was only because I had a lot of pain, not because I was worried about dry socket. The area was so sore and it had like, travelled out to making my jaw really sore too. I missed food lots. </3

I think after three days if it's not the pain stopping you, you should be ok to start eating sort-of normally again as long as you eat gently and maybe avoid anything very hard or very chewy. Have you thought about ringing your dentist or dental hospital and asking them? I had my wisdom tooth out about a year and a half ago now so my memory of it is a bit blurry. Sorry I can't be of more help!

No it's fine, thanks for your help! I asked my dentist about food as soon as I was done (clearly have my priorities in order), but he told me I could eat as soon as the numbness has worn off, and even though he is the dentist, I don't trust him on that! That was at the hospital so I may ring my normal dentist to check because I'm sure if I'd have started eating normally on the same night I would have an infection/dry socket by now.

Quick Reply

Latest