I told my younger asian cousin not to do medicine - ama

And I'm asian myself. And a doctor.

So that is like a big deal.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why's it a big deal?
Original post by Tpos
Why's it a big deal?

Because for generations, well-to-do asian families have encouraged their children to apply for medicine or become an engineer.

Indian families.
Reply 3
Why did you discourage them from taking medicine?
Original post by Awesome Genius
Because for generations, well-to-do asian families have encouraged their children to apply for medicine or become an engineer.

Indian families.

Why did you tell him not to do it?

If he's interested, gets the grades and graduates, he'll have a guaranteed job with a good salary and rewarding career.
Reply 5
Traitor :grr:
Reply 6

Indian families.

But so what if you told him not to become a doctor?
Will be even listen to you?
Why have you told him not to go into medicine?
why would u discourage him from the most promising degree
Reply 8
Did he not get enough A*s?
Rip in pepperonis.
Original post by Kyle1198
Why did you discourage them from taking medicine?

I have about 300 friends on Facebook, a lot of them are medics. Here are the last 5 posts from any medics in my news feed:

1. NICE's report on safe staffing levels in the NHS has been blocked by the government

2. I can't take the impending 18% pay cuts as a junior doctor with kids

3. I'm going to attend a meeting on 'alternative careers and wellbeing for doctors'

4. A patient with meningococcal sepsis confronting Jeremy hunt on his claims that doctors don't work on weekends

5. Jeremy Hunt called a **** by TV host - haha.

Never since I started as a medical student has the overall atmosphere been this bad. Medics are SO unhappy with the way they are being treated my the government. All that anyone does is complain. Seriously - medics = complain. That's it, they don't do anything else anymore. And they have a right to.

The arguments for the pros and cons of a career in medicine have been discussed for years. But I think the balance is now finally tipping to the point where it's a better idea just to work in the city. The sacrifices aren't worth the rewards that were there before.
Original post by Tpos
But so what if you told him not to become a doctor?
Will be even listen to you?
Why have you told him not to go into medicine?

I don't whether he will listen but that is my opinion and I have good reasons.
Original post by flibber
Did he not get enough A*s?

He got 9A* and 1A. That's the point - he is clever.
He can get in to a good university and get a well paying job.

My argument is this:

If the country values a hedge fund analyst at 500k a year - who's job is to convert rich people into richer people, then I think every smart person with good grades should aspire to do that.

The economy values a doctor at 5x less so they should get doctors who are 5x less academically gifted. Then see what happens...

Things will change around pretty quickly if everyone was brave enough to just say enough is enough and leave.
Reply 13
I don't whether he will listen but that is my opinion and I have good reasons.

So do you regret choosing medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mitzy09
So do you regret choosing medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh very much so
He got 9A* and 1A. That's the point - he is clever.

I think that getting A*s at GCSE is based more on one's memory skills than one's intelligence. I'd say that A Levels are a slightly better measure of how clever somebody is (although still a very flawed measure), because for A Levels, one cannot simply revise off the CGP guide and the mark schemes.

He can get in to a good university and get a well paying job.

Which universities is he planning to apply to?

My argument is this:

If the country values a hedge fund analyst at 500k a year - who's job is to convert rich people into richer people, then I think every smart person with good grades should aspire to do that.

The economy values a doctor at 5x less so they should get doctors who are 5x less academically gifted. Then see what happens...

Things will change around pretty quickly if everyone was brave enough to just say enough is enough and leave.

Do his parents think he should become a doctor?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flibber
I think that getting A*s at GCSE is based more on one's memory skills than one's intelligence. I'd say that A Levels are a slightly better measure of how clever somebody is (although still a very flawed measure), because for A Levels, one cannot simply revise off the CGP guide and the mark schemes.

Which universities is he planning to apply to?

Do his parents think he should become a doctor?

lol no but i see the funny angle
i disagree with u about levels- memorising the mark schemes is good enough for bio, chem and the non-mechanics physics. Maths C1-C2 is easy as is S1-2. C3,C4 requires some intelligence. Further maths is the only hard alevel lol - i have very controversial views.

he's applying to cambridge, bham, icl and icl

yup
Reply 17
Yeh very much so

What degree would you rather have done?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mitzy09
What degree would you rather have done?

Posted from TSR Mobile

maths
I have about 300 friends on Facebook, a lot of them are medics. Here are the last 5 posts from any medics in my news feed:

1. NICE's report on safe staffing levels in the NHS has been blocked by the government

2. I can't take the impending 18% pay cuts as a junior doctor with kids

3. I'm going to attend a meeting on 'alternative careers and wellbeing for doctors'

4. A patient with meningococcal sepsis confronting Jeremy hunt on his claims that doctors don't work on weekends

5. Jeremy Hunt called a **** by TV host - haha.

Never since I started as a medical student has the overall atmosphere been this bad. Medics are SO unhappy with the way they are being treated my the government. All that anyone does is complain. Seriously - medics = complain. That's it, they don't do anything else anymore. And they have a right to.

The arguments for the pros and cons of a career in medicine have been discussed for years. But I think the balance is now finally tipping to the point where it's a better idea just to work in the city. The sacrifices aren't worth the rewards that were there before.

How do you know the situation won't change? If the Labour party totally disintegrates, in 10 years there might be scope for the end of the NHS, or other radical changes to the medical service. If this is true, it might be a good idea for your cousin to become a medic.

Quick Reply

Latest