The Student Room Group

Is it time for ID cards??

This poll is closed

Time for ID cards in UK?

Yes 53%
No47%
Total votes: 55
The idea was suggested by Labour some time ago but basically unpopular in the wider population.

but its true to say all the illegal migrants coming from france ( where there is ID cards like much of europe) are doing eveything they can to get to uk not only because of better economic prospects, but because there is no ID cards so very difficult to track them when they arrive. they tend to merge into immigrant communities such as islamic ones that are very closed off and good cover for them and they dont look to take benefit but to work illegally

I myself an immigrant with a long term visa have documentation to show my right to be here, but is it time everyone carried a card to show their right to be here?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, we don't live in nazi Germany where an officer goes "papers please" when I have done or not suspected of doing anything wrong. These 'Labour' wet dreams belong in the dust bin of history.
Reply 2
many countries have ID cards, some of them are liberal..

when I first came to the UK (1981) I was shocked to find that a credit card was accepted as a form of ID!
Reply 3
Original post by TeeEm

when I first came to the UK (1981) I was shocked to find that a credit card was accepted as a form of ID!

Just because they are 'liberal' that makes it okay? What a joke. Maybe think before posting.
Reply 4
Original post by SeaPony
Just because they are 'liberal' that makes it okay? What a joke. Maybe think before posting.

please do not patronize me.
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
please do not patronize me.

Please think before posting. I am not patronizing I am simply giving you advice because you clearly did not think through what you were posting.
Reply 6
Original post by SeaPony
Please think before posting. I am not patronizing I am simply giving you advice because you clearly did not think through what you were posting.

I do not require your advice.
How dare you.
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
I do not require your advice.
How dare you.

You need it, take it or leave it.
Reply 8
This thread is a waste of time with 2 bickering imbeciles.
Original post by TeeEm

Britain had ID cards during and for a few years after WW2. They were abolished because they were useless, a waste of money and the police were frequently using them as an excuse to arbitrarily harass innocent people in public.

ID cards will not stop illegal migrants getting into the UK. In other European countries with compusory ID cards, they still don't stop thousands of migrants pouring in every day and living/working illegally. The only thing that will prevent them is better policing of the borders.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am going to have to disagree, I personally think that compulsory ID cards for all is a necessary step to take in order to try to cut down on illegal immigration as so may people are trying to come in to Britain as we don't have these cards making it an easy place to come and disappear into the shadows and work illegally.
Yes. I see no problem with them as long as you are a genuine UK citizen. They don't take away any freedom. All you are required to do is carry identification on you. I believe you should need them for the most basic of things such as before entering any shops or purchasing anything in general. It would be no hindrance to me. Quickly swiping a card can be done without even stopping and it would make life for illegals much harder so why not
No, 'cause this aint George Orwell's 1984.
Original post by SeaPony
No, we don't live in nazi Germany where an officer goes "papers please" when I have done or not suspected of doing anything wrong. These 'Labour' wet dreams belong in the dust bin of history.

LOL I hope you never get pulled over by the police and asked to show your driving licence.
Reply 14
Original post by willock91
Yes. I see no problem with them as long as you are a genuine UK citizen. They don't take away any freedom. All you are required to do is carry identification on you. I believe you should need them for the most basic of things such as before entering any shops or purchasing anything in general. It would be no hindrance to me. Quickly swiping a card can be done without even stopping and it would make life for illegals much harder so why not

What happens if you don't have your ID card on you, will you be fined or taken to a police station? If there were no sanctions, no one would carry an ID.

I think its the most stupid thing to suggest people would need to show ID before entering a shop. Have you not heard of internet shopping or people just setting up temporary shops or selling off the back of a van to get money off people without ID?
Reply 15
Original post by MagicNMedicine
LOL I hope you never get pulled over by the police and asked to show your driving licence.

No and I have been driving for years.
Original post by Maker
What happens if you don't have your ID card on you, will you be fined or taken to a police station? If there were no sanctions, no one would carry an ID.

I think its the most stupid thing to suggest people would need to show ID before entering a shop. Have you not heard of internet shopping or people just setting up temporary shops or selling off the back of a van to get money off people without ID?

If you don't have an ID card on you you should be arrested yes untill you can prove who you are along with an additional Β£100 fine for wasting police time through being careless. And as for internet shopping if you are getting items delivered to a UK address you will need to enter a code that would be on your ID card.
I have no real objection to ID cards (not sure where people get the idea you'd need to carry them at all times from - you could keep them at home to be produced on request as a standard method of proving identity).

Rather than going through the faff of making everybody get one now though, i'd start giving them at 10 years old to be renewed every 10 years. School can sort the first and then from 20 onward you'd sort it yourself.

With the advent of genome mapping i'd also have all new babies genetically scanned (like the thing you can pay Β£100 for) to identify their genome and have issues dealt with.
Would be easier to just open fire on those trying to break in through Calais.
Reply 19
Original post by willock91
If you don't have an ID card on you you should be arrested yes untill you can prove who you are along with an additional Β£100 fine for wasting police time through being careless. And as for internet shopping if you are getting items delivered to a UK address you will need to enter a code that would be on your ID card.

So my rights have been reduced if I have to carry ID or the state intervenes with sanctions.

What to stop someone buying a load of stuff on the net and selling it to his ID less friends?

Quick Reply

Latest