The Student Room Group

Is it time for ID cards??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
If you can prove to me illegal immigrants can't get jobs in Germany, France, Belgium, Italy or Spain and there are no terrorists in any of those countries, you might have a case. Although Germany seems to be very popular with illegal immigrants who do a lot of work in low skill sectors like agriculture and services.

http://www.humanityinaction.org/knowledgebase/239-breaking-the-silence-an-honest-discussion-about-illegal-immigration-to-germany

Although there was that Charlie Hepdo attack a few months ago in France that ID cards did not prevent.

So if the UK did have ID cards like Germany and France, we would also have illegal workers and terrorists like Germany and France.

ID cards here would be a deterrent. Life under the radar is more attractive here than in France. In the UK, you residence is where you live. You can prove it with a gas bill or a bank statement. In France your residence is where you are registered to live. If you are an illegal immigrant you cannot register anywhere and so you are an unperson. That makes life a lot less comfortable. You can't have a mobile phone contract or a bank account or a credit card.

However, that reverses the relationship that exists in the UK between the subject and the state. Few people would want a country where more or less everything someone does is by permission of the government.

Young people are not necessarily the best people to judge personal autonomy because they have as yet rarely experienced it.

Many of the people who call for ID cards assume that this would be a requirement for other people: "immigrants" or "blacks" but of course this would be a burden for everyone.

Few people know about the great case of Wilcock v Muckle

http://lrm.stormpages.com/WvM1951.html

in which a seven judge Divisional Court both upheld and disembowelled the requirement to carry ID cards in peacetime. The key sentence in the decision was:-

Secondly, the court wishes to express its emphatic approval of the way the justices dealt with this case by granting an absolute discharge for, although the police may have powers, it does not follow that they ought to exercise them on all occasions or as a matter of routine.
Original post by SeaPony
Just because they are 'liberal' that makes it okay? What a joke. Maybe think before posting.

It's quite shocking that here in the UK you don't even need to show your passport when you vote. Yes, you need ID cards - or at least make carrying passports compulsory, if introducing ID cards is too much of an admin hassle.
Original post by SeaPony
No, we don't live in nazi Germany where an officer goes "papers please" when I have done or not suspected of doing anything wrong. These 'Labour' wet dreams belong in the dust bin of history.

Godwin's Law.

Seriously, France is like nazi Germany???
Original post by Greenlaner
Whoa, slow down there, Stalin!

They won't take away any freedom? Well I currently have the freedom to go out in public without being forced to carry around any identifying documents like I'm some prisoner on day release, so that's one freedom that will disappear under your regime. I currently have the freedom to enter any shop and buy the majority of things without being forced to present ID. That freedom will also go. On that note, what happens if I'm on my way to do my food shopping only to find I have lost my ID card? Will I just have to go without food and necessities until the government gets around to issuing me with a new card? And if the waiting period is anything like it currently is to get a passport, I'll probably have starved to death long before I ever see the new card.

Just an awful, awful idea. I will be on the first plane out of this country if such a policy is ever introduced.

...don't most people carry ID on them all the time anyway?

I always have my driving licence on me, which has my name, photo and address (obviously). Right now it's getting renewed, so I carry around my passport (in case I want to buy a drink, or go to a bank, whatever).

Why would an ID card be any more abhorrent or difficult to manage?
Original post by Катя

So why waste the money if most people already carry ID?
Original post by DiddyDec
So why waste the money if most people already carry ID?

Just make it compulsory to have it. And actually make people show photo ID for stuff, like ****ing voting.
Original post by Катя
Just make it compulsory to have it. And actually make people show photo ID for stuff, like ****ing voting.

And how will that help curb immigration? And immigrant related crimes (employment, housing etc...)
Original post by Катя

I always have my driving licence on me, which has my name, photo and address (obviously). Right now it's getting renewed, so I carry around my passport (in case I want to buy a drink, or go to a bank, whatever).

Why would an ID card be any more abhorrent or difficult to manage?

I have already stated why I am against his idea.
Reply 68
Original post by Maker
If you can prove to me illegal immigrants can't get jobs in Germany, France, Belgium, Italy or Spain and there are no terrorists in any of those countries, you might have a case. Although Germany seems to be very popular with illegal immigrants who do a lot of work in low skill sectors like agriculture and services.

http://www.humanityinaction.org/knowledgebase/239-breaking-the-silence-an-honest-discussion-about-illegal-immigration-to-germany

Although there was that Charlie Hepdo attack a few months ago in France that ID cards did not prevent.

So if the UK did have ID cards like Germany and France, we would also have illegal workers and terrorists like Germany and France.

I fail to see the significance of any of your points there. They certainly didn't even relate to my comments that you quoted. I addressed each point you made but you quote me back and then talk about something else. You're just wasting time my time with your straw man arguments.
Reply 69
Original post by Maker
There is no point in having an ID card if its not compulsory to carry one at all times is it?

Not necessarily. If you don't have it on you, you will be given a chance to produce one.
It's not a terrible idea. Right now we don't have any form of photo identification apart from a drivers licence and a passport. Some people don't have either and have a hard time giving photo identification.
Reply 71
It may be better to generalize passports, instead of creating a second chain of administrative proceedings.
Original post by Maker
There is no point in having an ID card if its not compulsory to carry one at all times is it?

With a national database you could just give your details to the Police who could instantly confirm it.

ID cards would just be a formality, although useful for confirming your identity and immigration status to landlords, universities and employers.
Reply 73
Original post by Marco1
I fail to see the significance of any of your points there. They certainly didn't even relate to my comments that you quoted. I addressed each point you made but you quote me back and then talk about something else. You're just wasting time my time with your straw man arguments.

Never mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by MagicNMedicine
LOL I hope you never get pulled over by the police and asked to show your driving licence.

you have 7 days to produce any relevant documentation at a local police station, isn't needed on the spot
Reply 75
Original post by Swanbow
With a national database you could just give your details to the Police who could instantly confirm it.

ID cards would just be a formality, although useful for confirming your identity and immigration status to landlords, universities and employers.

Would you really trust the govt to create a database of your information when we all know how useless the govt have been at implementing any IT project of any size?

If any such system does somehow get made, expect many complaints and mistakes from innocent people being denied access to services they are 100% entitled to.
Original post by Maker
Would you really trust the govt to create a database of your information when we all know how useless the govt have been at implementing any IT project of any size?

If any such system does somehow get made, expect many complaints and mistakes from innocent people being denied access to services they are 100% entitled to.

And don't forget data being lost and destroyed due to errors. The Govt are great at that one, maybe they will leave it on a train.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker

Which is why I'm not entirely keen on it, it would be a vast and complicated system. However various countries do manage to run them without many hiccups. It is just that we seem useless at protecting data and implementing IT projects on a national scale.

I just don't want a situation where ID cards are introduced and people are chucked in cells for not carrying them.
Reply 78
Original post by Swanbow
Which is why I'm not entirely keen on it, it would be a vast and complicated system. However various countries do manage to run them without many hiccups. It is just that we seem useless at protecting data and implementing IT projects on a national scale.

I just don't want a situation where ID cards are introduced and people are chucked in cells for not carrying them.

I think it is very likely mistakes in any govt database will result in people being denied healthcare, arrested for being an illegal alien or prevented from renting accommodation. We all know how hard and how long it takes the govt to correct these errors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending