The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314

You can't use partial fractions whenever you have product of things in the denominator, even if it were to work, you'd get: 1u+1u2\frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{u^2}, not just 1u2\frac{1}{u^2} like you seem to have said. But anyway, that's irrelevant, there's a square root in the denominator, partial fractions doesn't apply. try adding the two fractions and seeing what you get... definitely not the original expression.
Original post by Zacken
You can't use partial fractions whenever you have product of things in the denominator, even if it were to work, you'd get: 1u+1u2\frac{1}{u} + \frac{1}{u^2}, not just 1u2\frac{1}{u^2} like you seem to have said. But anyway, that's irrelevant, there's a square root in the denominator, partial fractions doesn't apply. try adding the two fractions and seeing what you get... definitely not the original expression.

Oh ****. I am deleting my post, :facepalm:
Oh ****. I am deleting my post, :facepalm:

Haha, 'tis fine. Happens to the best of us. :yep:
Reply 3643
Original post by Themathgeek
I ACTUALLY HOPE THIS IS TRUE!
I've done the BMO a few times and I can get around 30 ish
Haven't attempted much STEP yet but will do in the summer, so hopefully it isn't as terrifying and bad as I currently am assuming it is!

STEP and other peoples view on it is what is making me contemplate whether I should apply to Oxford or Cambridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a stupid reason to decide between to universities. Choose the university you like the most - you'll be spending at least three years there
I ACTUALLY HOPE THIS IS TRUE!
I've done the BMO a few times and I can get around 30 ish
Haven't attempted much STEP yet but will do in the summer, so hopefully it isn't as terrifying and bad as I currently am assuming it is!

STEP and other peoples view on it is what is making me contemplate whether I should apply to Oxford or Cambridge...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last September I choose Oxford over Cambridge mostly based on MAT vs STEP. I choose Oxford because in September STEP looked too difficult ( i hadn't covered C3 C4 FP2 or FP3 at this stage) and i regret it now (although that's probably because I got rejected from Oxford). Now I am doing STEP for fun believe it or not

So my advice to you is to not base your decision too much on the entrance exams. Instead research the course content, the colleges to see if you find one you really like, maybe location if that's important to you because if you're a pupil considering Oxbridge, and a pupil who in year 12 is getting 30 in BMO, then by this time next year you'll be more than capable of STEP (of course lots of work will be needed too :tongue:)

Hope this helps :biggrin:
Original post by DylanJ42
Last September I choose Oxford over Cambridge mostly based on MAT vs STEP. I choose Oxford because in September STEP looked too difficult ( i hadn't covered C3 C4 FP2 or FP3 at this stage) and i regret it now (although that's probably because I got rejected from Oxford). Now I am doing STEP for fun believe it or not

So my advice to you is to not base your decision too much on the entrance exams. Instead research the course content, the colleges to see if you find one you really like, maybe location if that's important to you because if you're a pupil considering Oxbridge, and a pupil who in year 12 is getting 30 in BMO, then by this time next year you'll be more than capable of STEP (of course lots of work will be needed too :tongue:)

Hope this helps :biggrin:

Ah thanks!

I guess it's because the school I come from tells us to decide based on which entrance exam we like more. I guess it makes sense that that is a stupid reasoning

Do you do maths now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thanks!

I guess it's because the school I come from tells us to decide based on which entrance exam we like more. I guess it makes sense that that is a stupid reasoning

Do you do maths now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't suggest doing that at all

Doing Maths, Further Maths and Physics at A2 atm yea

Edit: consider doing C3 and C4 over summer, it would finally help
@Zacken

Question 1, 2001 STEP III: When you get raped by arithmetic at the end.. :angry:
Can anyone give me a hand with Q11 STEP II 2003?
@shamika

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
In what year did STEP become non-calculator?
Original post by 16Characters....
In what year did STEP become non-calculator?

Original post by Jordan\

Cheers. Also damnit I cannot be bothered with STEP II 1998 Q2 then.
Reply 3652
Original post by Jordan\
Can anyone give me a hand with Q11 STEP II 2003?
@shamika

Spoiler

I'm not sure I understand what you've done. You found that a particle projected at double speed takes longer in flight? Why not just break up the flight of the second particle in two steps: the first bit you already have, then it gets to double speed. A bit of fiddly algebra will get you to the end result
What are tsr's thoughts on step ii 2003? I found it variable... a few alarmingly quick questions, a few tough questions.

Some very nice stats on that paper imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
What are tsr's thoughts on step ii 2003? I found it variable... a few alarmingly quick questions, a few tough questions.

Some very nice stats on that paper imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 84 on that one - I think it is the second highest I've ever gotten on a STEP II paper from the ones I've done (2000 to 2006).I did Questions 7, 8, 9, 6, 1. I found Question 6 pretty interesting, I think Question 1 I found the toughest, and the last part of Question 7.
I got 84 on that one - I think it is the second highest I've ever gotten on a STEP II paper from the ones I've done (2000 to 2006).I did Questions 7, 8, 9, 6, 1. I found Question 6 pretty interesting, I think Question 1 I found the toughest, and the last part of Question 7.

This is honestly so freaky, I literally came on this thread to ask for a hint for the last part of Q7 :afraid:

I rearranged the RHS to e2e1NxN1x1lnxxN+1dx \displaystyle \frac{e}{2} \int_{e^{\frac{1}{N}}}^{\infty} \enspace \frac{x^N-1}{x-1} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{ln}x}{x^{N+1}} \enspace \mathrm{d}x

Does integration by parts lead to anything? I'm honestly so stuck

Spoiler

This is honestly so freaky, I literally came on this thread to ask for a hint for the last part of Q7 :afraid:

I rearranged the RHS to e2e1NxN1x1lnxxN+1dx \displaystyle \frac{e}{2} \int_{e^{\frac{1}{N}}}^{\infty} \enspace \frac{x^N-1}{x-1} \cdot \frac{\mathrm{ln}x}{x^{N+1}} \enspace \mathrm{d}x

Spoiler

No. Think about a way to use the inequality blnxxn+1dx<alnxxn+1dx\displaystyle \int_b^\infty \frac{ln x}{x^{n+1}} dx < \displaystyle \int_a^\infty \frac{ln x}{x^{n+1}} dx because they are asking you to "Deduce" from it.

Here is my solution, I am not sure if it is correct which is why I gave it 12 marks when I marked it. I went through it now and it seems fine (I kind of underestimated my markings for this paper). So, it is good to tag the senpais - @physicsmaths, @Zacken, @shamika.

I don't think I explained the last part well. :s-smilie:

P.S: TSR is really getting on my nerves with attachments. Attaching images from my computer auto-rotates them, and for some reason I get an "invalid file type" error when I try to upload from my phone. :angry: Try saving images onto your computer and rotating them yourself. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3657
No. Think about a way to use the inequality blnxxn+1dx<alnxxn+1dx\displaystyle \int_b^\infty \frac{ln x}{x^{n+1}} dx < \displaystyle \int_a^\infty \frac{ln x}{x^{n+1}} dx because they are asking you to "Deduce" from it.

Here is my solution, I am not sure if it is correct which is why I gave it 12 marks when I marked it. I went through it now and it seems fine (I kind of underestimated my markings for this paper). So, it is good to tag the senpais - @physicsmaths, @Zacken, @shamika.

P.S: TSR is really getting on my nerves with attachments. Attaching images from my computer auto-rotates them, and for some reason I get an "invalid file type" error when I try to upload from my phone. :angry: Try saving images onto your computer and rotating them yourself. :smile:

It's ridiculously hard to see any attachments on a phone, so now I don't even bother

Spoiler

What does the ugly bit inside the integral remind you of? With a little rearranging you should notice something very important about it.
(edited 8 years ago)

i followed it mostly except I don't get this part

qqq.jpg

2N2e>1N1n2\displaystyle \frac{2}{N^2e} > \sum_{1}^{N} \frac{1}{n^2}

how did you get that part in red? sorry if this question is silly

Latest

Trending

Trending