The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is STEP III much much harder than II and I?
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Is STEP III much much harder than II and I?

Depends on the person, some people say they find it easier than STEP II (although those tend to be the people that practice it a lot more than II) - I'd say it's about the same difficult level-wise but the breadth of the content makes it harder in that aspect.
Original post by Zacken
Depends on the person, some people say they find it easier than STEP II (although those tend to be the people that practice it a lot more than II) - I'd say it's about the same difficult level-wise but the breadth of the content makes it harder in that aspect.

Ahh cheers. Probs just do I and II then
Ahh cheers. Probs just do I and II then

Have a look at a III paper first before making a decision. :smile:
Do you need FP3, M4, M5, S3 and S4 for STEP III?
Original post by Zacken
That's really good! :smile:

I'm applying for Cambridge, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, Durham (in that order of preference)

Ah, they're some great unis. Are you going to be taking MAT as well in November?

Could someone explain in STEP II 2003, Q4, why d + D = r if they've done the question? Thanks.
Original post by rcmehta
Ah, they're some great unis. Are you going to be taking MAT as well in November?

Could someone explain in STEP II 2003, Q4, why d + D = r if they've done the question? Thanks.

You're getting D from the solutions page, aren't you? I think there's a problem with that solution. Look at this post:

(1) (2)

Should clear you of any doubts, post back if there are still any!
Original post by Zacken
You're getting D from the solutions page, aren't you? I think there's a problem with that solution. Look at this post:

(1) (2)

Should clear you of any doubts, post back if there are still any!

Got D correct so was just wondering why it was R - D, didn't even think about it through integration, stuck with area of sectors/segments. Thanks for clearing it up :smile:
Original post by rcmehta
Got D correct so was just wondering why it was R - D, didn't even think about it through integration, stuck with area of sectors/segments. Thanks for clearing it up :smile:

Good. The integration was a horribly messy way to do it. Stick with areas of sectors/segments!
Hey! STEP III, 2004, Q8 under consideration here.

I got the general solution as y2=2x+Ax2y^2 = 2x + Ax^2 (correct)

Then
(1,1):y2=2xx2(1,1): y^2 = 2x - x^2
(2,2):y2=2x(2,2): y^2 = 2x
(4,4):y2=2xx22(4,4): y^2 = 2x - \frac{x^2}{2}

The (1,1), (2,2) check out when replacing x with two and square rooting, but for the third one (4,4) - if I replace x=4 into there, I get y=0. So, I must be doing something wrong, can anybody see what?

Also, the first equation is a circle of radius 1 centre (1,0), right?
The second is a typical square root graph?
Using the form given up there, I got the third as being an ellipse - but it can't be correct since it doesn't pass through (4,4) - I'm tearing my hair out here!
Original post by Zacken
Hey! STEP III, 2004, Q8 under consideration here.

I got the general solution as y2=2x+Ax2y^2 = 2x + Ax^2 (correct)

Then
(1,1):y2=2xx2(1,1): y^2 = 2x - x^2
(2,2):y2=2x(2,2): y^2 = 2x
(4,4):y2=2xx22(4,4): y^2 = 2x - \frac{x^2}{2}

The (1,1), (2,2) check out when replacing x with two and square rooting, but for the third one (4,4) - if I replace x=4 into there, I get y=0. So, I must be doing something wrong, can anybody see what?

Also, the first equation is a circle of radius 1 centre (1,0), right?
The second is a typical square root graph?
Using the form given up there, I got the third as being an ellipse - but it can't be correct since it doesn't pass through (4,4) - I'm tearing my hair out here!

It should be y2=2x+x22 y^2 = 2x + \frac{x^2}{2}
Original post by Jordan\
It should be y2=2x+x22 y^2 = 2x + \frac{x^2}{2}

...My brain failed...

Thank you!
Original post by Zacken
...My brain failed...

Thank you!

No problem, I make silly mistakes like that all the time - I doubt in an exam you would have been penalised for that much if that makes you feel any better :tongue:
Original post by Jordan\
No problem, I make silly mistakes like that all the time - I doubt in an exam you would have been penalised for that much if that makes you feel any better :tongue:

It's quite a nice question! First STEP III question I've properly done ever. :colone:
Can someone help me with SHM?
Do you need FP3, M4, M5, S3 and S4 for STEP III?

Quite a bit of STEP III would rely on FP3 I think because that's where advanced calculus, hyperbolic trig, vectors and a good chunk of comics comes in - you really would want all of the hyptrig, calculus and vectors to get good question choice.
Original post by Jordan\
Quite a bit of STEP III would rely on FP3 I think because that's where advanced calculus, hyperbolic trig, vectors and a good chunk of comics comes in - you really would want all of the hyptrig, calculus and vectors to get good question choice.

You need hyperbolic trig every other paper. FP3 vectors not in the syllabus. The only thing actually very useful is the integration and differentiation the rest can be easily missed at out no easy cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What method do you use for questions asking you to prove SHM? I use conservation of energy but am not sure if it's accepted..?!
What method do you use for questions asking you to prove SHM? I use conservation of energy but am not sure if it's accepted..?!

I'm not really sure, but I would have thought you have to show that the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from an equilibrium position. You can then set up a differential equation and solve it to show the motion is simple harmonic.

I use F=ma.

Posted from TSR Mobile