The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Insight314
This might be the most intensive timed mock I have ever done.. I literally have a headache.

I shouldn't have tried to do chain rule of a chain rule of a ...

I wasted a lot of time again on differentiating a really big expression three times, at least 20 minutes lost...

Do I wager, II 2009?

(btw, if you need solutions to the 2009 papers, we've started making a TSR one)
Original post by EnglishMuon
It was originally under this link https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/admissions/workbook.pdf but for some reason it seems to have been moved. Ill keep an eye out though and Ill let you know. I think it was effectively just a review of A level techniques though, not very STEP like.

See my post above. (edit: previous page) :tongue: -the link that King's website links to seems to be dead. :s-smilie:
Original post by Zacken
Do I wager, II 2009?

STEP III 2010

I was able to do 5 solutions, had 20-30 minutes for a 6th but realised I literally had none complete solutions so started working on one of them.

Currently marking it, and first question I am marking is ****ing appalling. 31 minutes on ONLY completing first part of Question 7 because I wasted 25 minutes differentiating the expression y=cos(marcsinx)y = \cos(m\arcsin x) three times. I need to stop doing this. This is one of the key reasons why I can't have 6 attempts or at least 4-5 fully complete solutions. I need to stop thinking STEP questions are A-level, and start using that brain of mine with no mindless robotic computation.
Original post by Zacken
See my post above. :tongue: -the link that King's website links to seems to be dead. :s-smilie:

ah ok, thanks. Hopefully they fix it soon. I tell you what I feel like my maths has been on more form today. The past week has been terrible but when I am at home in a quiet room and no stress, it all seems to come out easily, so thanks for the help :smile:
Original post by Zacken

Oh, that's nice. I was gonna say that I could contribute, but you lot are probably going to finish it in a few weeks and I still have 3 more papers (2011, 2012, 2013) to do of STEP III before embarking on STEP II (2006+).
Has anyone done STEP III 2010? I need help with marking. :smile:
@physicsmaths

How much will first part of Question 7 STEP III 2010 get?
Question 3 STEP III 2010:

Spoiler

TFW STEP II question 8 has a vectors question with

Spoiler

In Q1, STEP SPECIMEN PAPER II, 1987, the question asks for 'any special case which may arise' does that means that there is only one special case as case isn't in plural? I have just found one special case which is when a=b, but in the TSR forum, the solution appears to have 2 special cases. But I think a+b=0 isn't a special cases, as it is just a=-b. But I am not sure if I am correct or not.:smile:
Question 1

Comparing coefficients of
So There are two special cases to consider,
(Cover up rule)
@Zacken

You done STEP III 2010?

I am waiting for someone to tell me how many marks I would be awarded for my attempt at Question 3 and 7.
@Zacken

You done STEP III 2010?

I am waiting for someone to tell me how many marks I would be awarded for my attempt at Question 3 and 7.

Not yet, just done II 2010 today. Will probs do III 2010 on Wednesday.
Original post by Zacken
Not yet, just done II 2010 today. Will probs do III 2010 on Wednesday.

All right, no problem. :smile:

@Krollo,
have you done STEP III 2010?

Edit: He is offline. :frown: Oh well, gonna mark them as I think they are and see if anyone would help me tomorrow.
(edited 7 years ago)
STEP III 2010

Q1: 17/20 - really enjoyed this question.
Q2: 16/20 - used hyperbolic functions instead of the blunt hint they gave at the start of using exponentials - someone tell me if I lose more than a few marks because of that; they did not explicitly state they want exponentials but examiner's report has solutions with exponentials (and that solution is way easier than mine, as it always is.. /sigh)
Q3: 12/20 - found it difficult to understand initially, so I couldn't get through it that much
Q7: 7/20 - horrible question; spent 31 minutes on this question, and wasted 25-30 minutes on differentiating three times when I didn't even have to. Again, my problem with wasting time and doing mindless computation.
Q8: 15/20 - pretty nice question but forgot how to use integrating factor it seems lol

Total: 67/120 - Grade 1

Grade boundaries are pretty low for this paper, so I was 11 marks above Grade 1 and 11 marks off for a Grade S. Getting closer and closer with each paper!

I feel like I wasted too much time again with mindless computation, but I can see that I am improving with it since I even had a bit of time to do a sixth question at the end but decided to improve my other solutions which was a good decision of mine.
anyone got a facebook group chat for step i could join?
STEP III 2010

Q2: 16/20 - used hyperbolic functions instead of the blunt hint they gave at the start of using exponentials - someone tell me if I lose more than a few marks because of that; they did not explicitly state they want exponentials but examiner's report has solutions with exponentials (and that solution is way easier than mine, as it always is.. /sigh)
Q3: 12/20 - found it difficult to understand initially, so I couldn't get through it that much
Q7: 7/20 - horrible question; spent 31 minutes on this question, and wasted 25-30 minutes on differentiating three times when I didn't even have to. Again, my problem with wasting time and doing mindless computation.
Q8: 15/20 - pretty nice question but forgot how to use integrating factor it seems lol

Grade boundaries are pretty low for this paper, so I was 11 marks above Grade 1 and 11 marks off for a Grade S. Getting closer and closer with each paper!

I feel like I wasted too much time again with mindless computation, but I can see that I am improving with it since I even had a bit of time to do a sixth question at the end but decided to improve my other solutions which was a good decision of mine.

Massive grats !!!!!!!!!!!!! thats truly incredible :wink:
Original post by Duke Glacia
Massive grats !!!!!!!!!!!!! thats truly incredible :wink:

Thank you! I think I am finally starting to see some improvement.

How is STEP Prep going with you? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
@physicsmaths

How much will first part of Question 7 STEP III 2010 get?

Sorry mate i didn't see this till now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
STEP III 2010

Q4 was pretty nice, could've tried that.
Q7 a 'horrible question'?! I thought it was the nicest on the paper! But yeah if you try to differentiate three times then you're screwed. That's what I'm talking about with exam technique; if you're ever about to go into some heavy algebra you should always consider other methods first. And it should also be clear that differentiating three times is far too algebra-heavy to be the intended solution.
Original post by Number Nine
anyone got a facebook group chat for step i could join?

lmfao its ur own fault

Latest

Trending

Trending