The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Jordan\
Ah ok :smile: Would it still be a good idea to work backwards form 2010 or so?

You've got a lot of time, from my experience with step 1 I'd recommend working forward from about 1997, but that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
You've got a lot of time, from my experience with step 1 I'd recommend working forward from about 1997, but that's just my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1997 has weird question tho :frown:
Na id start at 94 then work forwards.
I honestly think you should just start from 2000... but then make sure you really understand every question to its full depth. At least, that's what I wish I had done rather than do as many questions as I could.

Edit: In my opinion, in April/May you want to start focusing on the more modern papers (2010-2015) as timed mocks, and then spending a week doing all (maybe not all applied in III, that can be tedious) of the questions in each paper. Thinking practically, 10 years of papers is perfectly sufficient to get the hang of STEP between now and then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alex_Aits
I honestly think you should just start from 2000... but then make sure you really understand every question to its full depth. At least, that's what I wish I had done rather than do as many questions as I could.

Edit: In my opinion, in April/May you want to start focusing on the more modern papers (2010-2015) as timed mocks, and then spending a week doing all (maybe not all applied in III, that can be tedious) of the questions in each paper. Thinking practically, 10 years of papers is perfectly sufficient to get the hang of STEP between now and then.

I only did 2000 onwards. But since theyre starting now an extra few years of papers would be very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also be prepared to do well in the 2000 papers till around 2008 as tbh they are all nice. Until Cambridge decided to up there game and started throwing out disgusting papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I only did 2000 onwards. But since theyre starting now an extra few years of papers would be very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could go back now and do it all again differently :tongue:
Reply 87
So what is the general, balls to the walls, most comprehensive stuff to do? All the papers/as many as possible?
Original post by Alex_Aits
I wish I could go back now and do it all again differently :tongue:

Ikr. Oh well haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gilo98
So what is the general, balls to the walls, most comprehensive stuff to do? All the papers/as many as possible?

Basically the more practice he better. More more maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also be prepared to do well in the 2000 papers till around 2008 as tbh they are all nice. Until Cambridge decided to up there game and started throwing out disgusting papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still got PTSD from 2014 III...
Original post by SamKeene

Is it really that bad? :s-smilie:

PTSD? I thought III 2014 was a fairly average paper tbh
Original post by Jordan\
Is it really that bad? :s-smilie:

Original post by newblood
PTSD? I thought III 2014 was a fairly average paper tbh

It may have been 2013 III... I remember one of them being very heavy on what were my weaknesses (complex numbers/geometry and vectors)...

Unlike 2012 III which was the perfect god paper for me...
It may have been 2013 III... I remember one of them being very heavy on what were my weaknesses (complex numbers/geometry and vectors)...

Unlike 2012 III which was the perfect god paper for me...

All the papers were harder then earier ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
All the papers were harder then earier ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye this is true. Somewhere around 2008-2010 there's a noticeable change.

2015 II and III definitely felt a little easier than the 'trend' of harder papers we've been having, but annoyingly I certainly underperformed when I sat it. I don't think my performance in the exam stood up to the 200+ hours I spent in prep... but ah well.
Signing on board now. Anyone who is doing both MAT and STEP are you planning to focus on MAT for now and STEP when it's over, just STEP or a mix of the two?
Aye this is true. Somewhere around 2008-2010 there's a noticeable change.

2015 II and III definitely felt a little easier than the 'trend' of harder papers we've been having, but annoyingly I certainly underperformed when I sat it. I don't think my performance in the exam stood up to the 200+ hours I spent in prep... but ah well.

Definitely disagree about the 2015 II paper - noticeably harder than 2012-2014! You may be right about III though, but seemingly I think I've done better in II compared to III lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
These are 1 boundaries.
STEP I 72
STEP II 71
STEP III 65

Posted from TSR Mobile

You were bang on with STEP III :wink:
Original post by Jordan\
You were bang on with STEP III :wink:

Im shocked with II and I but id rather had a lower III boundary.
Most likely have got 112
Maybe even 113 if i really ****ed up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest