The Student Room Group

Breast pain for 3 months doctors not taking me seriously HELP

I've seen my GP and she recommended me to the hospital, where I got checked by palpation examination. After which, I got told it was due to hormones, despite clearly stating the pain has been non-cyclical.

This pain started in May. Non-cyclical. No discharge, change or shape or any other symptoms. Normal menstruation.

Please advise any suggestions, as my pain is excruciating. I don't want to go too much into detail on here, but the pain started on the outside of the breasts and this months it has been on the inside. I don't even know what's happening anymore. I can't even lay on my sides, as any movement hurts.
Your symptoms don't tend to fit any diagnosis in particular, so that's probably why you could got brushed off with the diagnosis of cyclical mastalgia. What are you taking for pain relief? Have you tried evening primrose oil? I don't know if it works, but it is recommended in the guidelines and doctors do advise its usage even though the evidence supporting its use is scant.
Reply 2
Sometimes breast pain can be due to growing, I know it seems extreme for 3 months but I've had growing pains there and it's so so so painful and they lasted for ages. Just because the pain is non-cyclical doesn't mean it isn't to do with hormones, hormones are present all the time and I don't know exactly which one would cause it but the overall constant changing levels of hormones might be something to do with it? Are you on the pill?
Original post by liquity
Sometimes breast pain can be due to growing, I know it seems extreme for 3 months but I've had growing pains there and it's so so so painful and they lasted for ages. Just because the pain is non-cyclical doesn't mean it isn't to do with hormones, hormones are present all the time and I don't know exactly which one would cause it but the overall constant changing levels of hormones might be something to do with it? Are you on the pill?

Thanks for the advice. No I'm not.
Reply 4
Original post by Nightingale
Thanks for the advice. No I'm not.

It might regulate the hormones slightly? At first it sends them all over the place but after that it's pretty regular, I'm just wondering if doctors are saying that it's hormones then maybe they need some help regulating :P I don't know if it's something you'd consider but if it's causing you a lot of pain it might be worth asking the doctors if it would help?
Original post by liquity
It might regulate the hormones slightly? At first it sends them all over the place but after that it's pretty regular, I'm just wondering if doctors are saying that it's hormones then maybe they need some help regulating :P I don't know if it's something you'd consider but if it's causing you a lot of pain it might be worth asking the doctors if it would help?

Oooh, I see what you mean. However, going back on the pill won't be an option for me I was on it for a year and I had so many negative side effects...
Thanks so much for your advice either way!
Reply 6
Original post by Nightingale
Oooh, I see what you mean. However, going back on the pill won't be an option for me I was on it for a year and I had so many negative side effects...
Thanks so much for your advice either way!

Might have been the brand that you were on, I'm on one called Marvelon and it's really good, the worst side effects are the moodswings which are pretty much a given with any pill, of course everyone's different but the brands are different and have different effects. Of course you don't have to and if you don't want to risk it again it's fine, good luck with getting it to go away it sounds horrible!
Original post by liquity
Might have been the brand that you were on, I'm on one called Marvelon and it's really good, the worst side effects are the moodswings which are pretty much a given with any pill, of course everyone's different but the brands are different and have different effects. Of course you don't have to and if you don't want to risk it again it's fine, good luck with getting it to go away it sounds horrible!

Yes, I was on Rigevidon. Thank you, I hope so too!

Quick Reply