The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jonnylan
Do the open days fill up and if so anyone know how quickly? I want to find out if I get my offer from my favourite subject before replying for the one I've already got an offer from

I see you've applied for both Economics and Economics with Maths. To be honest, I would just reply and go to the open day as you'll definitely see the Economics department on either choice, and you could always find some other NatSci or Maths people and tag along with them to their department talks. It's really not a formal thing, pretty sure they won't take your attendance or anything!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Becca
I see you've applied for both Economics and Economics with Maths. To be honest, I would just reply and go to the open day as you'll definitely see the Economics department on either choice, and you could always find some other NatSci or Maths people and tag along with them to their department talks. It's really not a formal thing, pretty sure they won't take your attendance or anything!!

Yer, that's a good point. However, if I get accepted from another college I'll want to go to their open day. Think I'll just reply now then try change it if necessary later.
im coming to university college on 20th/21st :smile:
I should be going to the Josephine Butler one on Wednesday 21st March.

However, I'm a bit confused as to which night we're supposed to be staying over. Since it starts at nine AM and I have to travel up from Bath I was planning on arriving Tuesday afternoon and staying at the college that night, but it sounds like most people stay for the night after, so I'm not entirely sure what I should be doing!
Reply 44
No, you stay over the night before your departmental open day, so if your departmental open day is on the 22nd you go on the evening of the 21st.
Whew, thanks. :smile: I was worried I was doing it completely wrong.
" No, you stay over the night before your departmental open day, so if your departmental open day is on the 22nd you go on the evening of the 21st."

Is this right, because the stuff from JB states,

" Candidiates should go straight to dept in the morning. Overnight bags may be deposited at JBC prior to 9am start.

9am departmental open day
14.00pm assemble at JBC
17.00 dinner at JBC for those staying overnight.

It goes on to say

" The same programme will also run on Tuesday 20 March, but numbers are strictly limited to those students whose depts are not offering open day on Wed 21st March. "

I am arriving on Wed 21st March and will be staying over that evening, although I have to say that expecting people to arrive for a 9am start, given travel distances is ridiculous.
Reply 47
happymonday
" No, you stay over the night before your departmental open day, so if your departmental open day is on the 22nd you go on the evening of the 21st."

Is this right, because the stuff from JB states,

" Candidiates should go straight to dept in the morning. Overnight bags may be deposited at JBC prior to 9am start.

9am departmental open day
14.00pm assemble at JBC
17.00 dinner at JBC for those staying overnight.

It goes on to say

" The same programme will also run on Tuesday 20 March, but numbers are strictly limited to those students whose depts are not offering open day on Wed 21st March. "

I am arriving on Wed 21st March and will be staying over that evening, although I have to say that expecting people to arrive for a 9am start, given travel distances is ridiculous.

That's weird!! Few possible reasons for this:

1. They've messed it up and it's wrong

2. Because of the new Open Day structure (i.e. there are none in January anymore) then maybe they've fiddled it around a bit and made the departmental thing first (sounds stupid to me)

3. Butler, trying to be funky and original, decided to do it the opposite to EVERY OTHER COLLEGE in Durham, lol! :rolleyes:
Great !!! Perhaps one of the JB reps on here could explain, because I have had to book a hotel the night before to make the 9am start and I will be pretty annoyed if their paperwork is wrong.
Reply 49
9 o clock. Are you having a laugh. And there was me thinking I might get a lie in on my day off. ****!!!!!!

Also I wanted a night out on the town. I think it's important to get a feel for the nightlife. This looks like it may not be possible given the ****ing early start.

Damn...
Reply 50
I will be there...as an open day rep in Mildert! :smile:
Reply 51
This new structure sounds crap! I mean, someone having to book a hotel for the 9am start is rediculous. The whole point of staying at your college the night before the departmental open day is that you're in Durham for it and can get walked to the dept. by reps etc!
I'm confused. :s-smilie:
happymonday
Great !!! Perhaps one of the JB reps on here could explain, because I have had to book a hotel the night before to make the 9am start and I will be pretty annoyed if their paperwork is wrong.

My friend has the same problem. JB is conducting two one-day open days. However, she rang up and now has overnight accomodation. It's not a problm at all; you go up on the 20th, and leave after dept. stuff on the 21st. Peasy. Just phone JB up.
loggins
I will be there...as an open day rep in Mildert! :smile:

Woo! See you there mate! :smile:
Reply 54
So is it just Butler doing this crazy new structure?

Because the problem with that is that some departmental open days are in the afternoon, not at 9am!

:confused:
dobbs
So is it just Butler doing this crazy new structure?

Because the problem with that is that some departmental open days are in the afternoon, not at 9am!

:confused:

No, all dept. days are 10am-1pm. Well, that's what Law Admissions told me, and they categorically stated all.
Reply 56
Danny_777
No, all dept. days are 10am-1pm. Well, that's what Law Admissions told me, and they categorically stated all.

Hmmm that's random - but which days? Does that include Monday 19th?
dobbs
Hmmm that's random - but which days? Does that include Monday 19th?

I'm afraid I don't know. I'm pretty sure it's the 20th, 100% sure it's the 21st, but I don't know about the 19th.
You can see the schedules for all colleges and departments here.
Reply 59
Cheers for that, has probably been the most helpful post of the lot actually.

A "sample law lecture" eh. I don't like the sound of that much. I'm not going there to think...

And "fun and games" in the evening at Collingwood. How old are we? 3?

Latest