The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
my best mate has an offer from JB and has to go on the 21st. but his department is sociology and the department programme starts at 9.30 thats too early for a londoner to get to. do you reckon they will exempt him?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 81
When they wanted me up they said they will have no accomodation available, drat.
Hoping to be sleeping on a sofa by calling in some favours (will need to think of some to make up) as I'm travelling from London. Will have a fun 3 days in Durham anyway I'm sure and perhaps meet the few people I know there.
Reply 82
AdamTJ
It's not even the tiredness that does it. Like I could cope with that. It's the fact that I physically feel so bad, I just can't up.

You know that unique feeling of utter dehydration, sickness, nausea and headache that you get after a true drinking session. That's what I'm talking about.

Or maybe you just don't get hangovers. In which case I hate you.

Oh I get hangovers. Damn.
Reply 83
Becca
Oh I get hangovers. Damn.

Yes. They are the worst. I had play a cricket match whilst in the midst of a bit of a gargantuan one. Thankfully I only bat at number 6 so it was about 3ish by the time I came in. However, needless to say, I got a 3 ball duck. Have no idea how I even hit the first ball.

I find I only get them after certain drinks though. For instance, if I stick to beer for the night, I'm generally fine. It's usually wine and vodka which are absolute killers for me.

Strange that...

Anybody got any techniques they use to avoid/overcome them?

This links to the open day because umm...hangover and open day both have an a and an o in them...:s-smilie:
Reply 84
for those who are currently at Durham what do you recommend that those coming for the open day bring?
Reply 85
Just the sort of stuff you'd take if you were staying overnight somewhere, I guess. I took the sort of stuff I'd take to interviews where I'd have to stay overnight. There's nothing in particular that you need, I don't think.
Reply 86
I personally cannot stand clubs, and would love to sample/imbibe several pints of like, every ale in Durham...

Dunno what Milderts ale situation is at the moment but should you feel the need to go outside college (why? 3 ales at 1.50 a pint) then the following places are recommended (look, I drew you all a map, aren't I lovely?).

The colour coding:
This way be Mildert, home of good things

This is where the law department is, no drinks here but you may wish you had one.

The Shakespeare, I haven't been in there in yonks but it's nice

Swan and 3 cygnets, a student staple. Serves beer at 1.29 a pint (you heard me right), if they have Timothy Taylors Landlord then drink that till you die, otherwise Sam Smiths is fine

The Half Moon, 's pretty good, I think they do Landlord and a couple of guest beers. God that yellow colour was unreadable.

The Dun Cow, walk along until you're opposite a big redbrick building on the right and you might just notice one of the smallest pubs I have ever been in, absolutely tiny but has the redeeming qualities of 1.Serving Black Sheep Best Bitter and 2. Being absolutely mint.
Legend. Thanks mate.

Although the location of the pubs does make me wish I'd applied to Hatfield or Castle....
Reply 88
Nah, since you do law all your lectures will be down there anyway so a sneaky pint between lectures is possible. I naddition, you'll find that you'll probably spend most of your tim drinking in college bars.
Bugger bugger bugger. Lucky feckin Bailey people... I want that pubbage!!!

What's the nearest you can live in your second year?
Reply 90
There are places let to students all over the goddam shop. It really doesn't matter, though ... I'm in Hild Bede and I have absolutely no problem with walking ten minutes home from places at the end of an evening.
Reply 91
I really need to check when my open day is...
Reply 92
Danny_777
Bugger bugger bugger. Lucky feckin Bailey people... I want that pubbage!!!

What's the nearest you can live in your second year?

The pubs aren't exactly far away from the hill - a 15min walk will get you to the closest one! :rolleyes:

Plus anyway, on the hill we have the hill college bars - Grey, Collingwood, Trevs, Butler, Mildert, Aidans and of course Marys all in close proximity! A hill-college bar crawl makes for a good night out :smile:
Reply 93
Although I feel obliged to point out that on the ale front, Collingwood serves none, I wouldn't touch Mary's bar with a stick, Grey smells funny-all of it, but Aidans, Mildert and Trevs are good.
Reply 94
I got a letter from Durham a while back saying that they will be making their decisions at the end of March for Modern Languages (although they are clearly giving out offers at the moment :rolleyes: )....so if I were to get an offer right at the end of March, would there still be an Open Day for me to go to? Or would I have missed out due to the lateness of the offer? :confused:
Reply 95
dobbs
OK so looking at the college open days it looks like Butler is the ONLY COLLEGE messing the whole system up and being weird.

For any other college it still goes...

You arrive on Monday, you do collegey stuff all day, you do collegey stuff in the evening, the next day (Tuesday) you go to departmental open day for 10am.

Simple :smile:

Thanks!

Did anyone get confirmation for the open day that they had accommodation etc? I can't seem to find anything
Reply 96
NickiM
Thanks!

Did anyone get confirmation for the open day that they had accommodation etc? I can't seem to find anything

i got sent an email saying they had recieved my money for accomadation and meals.
Reply 97
NickiM
Thanks!

I think if you read the original letter it says that they DO NOT send out confirmation of receiving your reply slip, you just need to assume they got it :smile:

Ali - not everyone cares about real ale :p:
arghhhh im scred what if i turn up and they are like ''sorry your not on the list please GO AWAY !''
Reply 99
BlueRibbon
arghhhh im scred what if i turn up and they are like ''sorry your not on the list please GO AWAY !''

I'm sure that's unlikely to happen :smile: If you're so worried, why don't you e-mail them?!

Latest