The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PaediatricStN
Agree. Many of my lecturers haven't been to prestigious establishments, but they still write articles for journals and have been involved in research. The academic background may be of importance to progress in other sectors, but not necessarily in nursing :smile:

An academic history becomes more important when looking at nurse lecturer posts, but post reg history is more important that pre reg. They want experience in your field, involvement in research and prefer it if you've been published.
Reply 41
Doesn't matter when it comes to nursing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AishaAli
Hi,

I'll be starting my nursing training at King's in a few weeks time & based on what you wrote in your post, I'd like to know how the support was like with regards to student/tutor relationships & whether they were approachable and offered help?!
Also would appreciate if you could elaborate on the types of lectures which you thought were useless.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

I started there 5 years ago so can't remember the ins and outs but we had two mentors, one for academic stuff and another who did not work in the uni but who we could talk to for personal/placement issues. There are drop in sessions for tutors but you have to make appointments if you want some decent time with them.
I didn't have issues with essays but my cohort felt we were lacking support in essay writing, we did PG Dip so we didn't do much on academic skills but still a fair few failed the first module first time because we didn't know how to structure the essay.
I felt some lectures were useless such as: history or nursing, how to be a research nurse, management etc since they went on for hours/days. Before first placement I got like 2 hours practice in injection technique, BP etc and that was it for clinical skills for 2 years. Their lab is open if you want to practice alone but we spent very little time on nursing skills and knowledge which I would've liked more. This was 5 years ago so it might be different but I support kings students on placement and some have a similar opinion. It has a reputation for being academic for a reason.
As someone who has worked in nursing recruitment for two Trusts I can tell you nobody cares at all what uni you went to. I have seen nurses who trained at KCL unsuccessful at interview for a band 5 nursing post and I have seen nurses from what most would consider very 'low' unis go straight into band 6 and one even straight into a band 7 post. Also one of the nurses who got a band 6 post only got a 2.2 so she didn't even get what would be NORMALLY considered a 'good' degree.

OP - from a recruitment perspective I can tell you the most important thing in getting you a nursing job is your references and your placement. Make sure you do well on your placement and make sure you engage enough with your tutors that when it comes to the reference stage you have good solid references. I have seen very well qualified (in terms of 'academics) nurses turned down because they got very damning references with comments like 'isn't a people person' 'didn't fully meet the patients' needs' and trust me, with comments like that you will not get a post. The great thing about nursing posts is that they actually care if you are a good nurse rather than 'do you have a first and top A level grades and did you go to a good uni and what prizes have you won' so if you are doing a good job of actually being a nurse you will be absolutely fine.
No. Its not wroth. The more high up the uni. The more expectation and chances of failing.
Not to forget we have to pass all placement. High standard hospital has high standard expectation from student.
I just want to pass and be a nurse. If i am more experience then i would go for kings college hospital more a year experience and move on to whereever there is more relax.
I dont want to serve my ego. I rather take things easily.

Latest

Trending

Trending