The Student Room Group

Is a more 'prestigious' university worth it?

Hi there,
I am about to begin an access to health and care diploma with the intention to go on to university to study child nursing. I am already being asked about what options for uni I will put on my UCAS application and I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice from personal experience?
With nursing is a more prestigious university such as Kings College, or the like, much more likely to give you better career prospects than other universities? I understand that there may be some difference but is it so great that it would make a huge difference to go somewhere with more of a reputation like that? I'm trying to weigh up everything and although more local universities would be easier I would rather travel and pay a little more if it was to make a fair difference to my chances and prospects when I graduate.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Yep it would get you better job prospects and possibly better pay. But because nursing in general is really sought after in the job market I doubt you'll have trouble getting a job anyway.

I think it's always best to go for the best university you can possibly go for, so reach for the limit basically, quality of teaching will generally be better and you'll be with people more similar to you :smile:
Nah the poster above is talking b*llocks. In healthcare your uni doesn't matter at all. Go to your local one if you prefer it
Reply 3
Yeah better university better prospects of getting promotion later on you'll be more clued up on the game if you do IMO.
I'd say that in your field, it's more likely that where you obtained your qualification carries little or no weight over your genuine aptitude for the career choice. I would say go where you feel best placed but of course, going to Kings or somewhere with more prestige can carry you a little further if things don't go to plan and could give you better prospects for later on.
Prestige doesn't mean anything for courses which carry registration such as nursing.
I've never been asked about where I've studied when applying for jobs. It doesn't matter. Courses are regulated by the NMC so that the standard of education for pre registration nurses doesn't vary across the country.
Reply 7
For nursing I'd say location is more important rather than prestige. In big cities like London there are a lot of hospitals than in small places like Norwich for example.
Original post by Nottie
For nursing I'd say location is more important rather than prestige. In big cities like London there are a lot of hospitals than in small places like Norwich for example.

The Norfolk and Norwich hospital has just under 1000 beds and covers most specialities, so probably not the best comparison there :tongue:
Original post by yabbayabba
Nah the poster above is talking b*llocks. In healthcare your uni doesn't matter at all. Go to your local one if you prefer it

Tell me more how employers would rate a nursing degree from kings/manchester/nottingha the same as a nursing degree from the university of cumbria (just one example)?

If there's a competitive post that she wants to apply for in child nursing and there's 1 place, of course the person from the prestigious university will have a better chance (disregarding work experience).

*****Unless this is the same as medical degrees where the employers don't know which university you got your degree from then I am completely wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by callsyouout
Tell me more how employers would rate a nursing degree from kings/manchester/nottingha the same as a nursing degree from the university of cumbria (just one example)?

If there's a competitive post that she wants to apply for in child nursing and there's 1 place, of course the person from the prestigious university will have a better chance (disregarding work experience).

*****Unless this is the same as medical degrees where the employers don't know which university you got your degree from then I am completely wrong.

Lol no, it really doesn't matter where your degree is from when it comes to nursing. As soon as you leave, you're a qualified nurse. Most of the course will be spent on placement so it doesn't matter
Original post by cherryred90s
Lol no, it really doesn't matter where your degree is from when it comes to nursing. As soon as you leave, you're a qualified nurse. Most of the course will be spent on placement so it doesn't matter

Fair enough

Nope, it doesn't work like that. It's based on performance in the interview and application process and satisfactory references. Course content is set by the NMC so the standard of NQ nurses should be the same regardless of where threy trained.
The best you can do is get the best results in the access diploma and on the degree and you shouldn't have a problem. It's with anything having a brand name opens doors and people can relate to Coca-cola than to fizzy-bang-pop cola, a ferrari to a skoda.

The most prestigious nursing degree is Florence Nightingale school at King's College London and for obvious reason being in the centre of London but too vocational for UCL so associated with KCL, but this is only through history and really doesn't have anything over the top courses available..

The best ranked from what I have found of 3 pages of google search is

King's College London (Florence Nightingale)

Surrey (debatable 2nd but really nice campus and near London)

If you are not bothered about relocating then King's offers a good programme and being in London is a great experience.

My friend did a nursing degree at UWE West of England ranked 50th-something and did a fair few years at the Royal United Hospital in Bath before starting a family so prestige shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Yep you're completely wrong, said it yourself.
Original post by yabbayabba
Yep you're completely wrong, said it yourself.

Fair
Yep it would get you better job prospects and possibly better pay. But because nursing in general is really sought after in the job market I doubt you'll have trouble getting a job anyway.

I think it's always best to go for the best university you can possibly go for, so reach for the limit basically, quality of teaching will generally be better and you'll be with people more similar to you :smile:

that's utter rubbish in the case of UK Health professional education.

the days of London trained nurses walking in senior posts in the provinces are 100 years ago
(edited 8 years ago)
I did my nurse training at King's, thought it was crap lol there were too many useless lectures and they didn't teach us how to actually nurse people! I haven't really noticed any difference between nurses based on where they trained, at the end of the day you're signed off or not. I do think some KCL students are a bit up themselves though.
Hi ya. It depends on where you want to work as well. I was previously a student nurse at Anglia Ruskin and was told by the UEA that Norfolk and Norwich hospital always gives priority to their students. I withdrew 3 years ago to start a family and am now starting my my nursing again in September at the UEA.
Reply 19
Thank you so much for all the replies, it's been really helpful! I've spoken to my friends who are nurses/student nurses too and they have said that as long as you have your pin it really makes no difference where you study, I'm going to apply to all but if I'm accepted to my local university (which is Anglia Ruskin) I will go there as we have big hospitals around and I know some incredible people who have graduated or are studying there.

Thanks again everyone!

Latest