The Student Room Group

How do I get rid of an old car?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice on how to sell an old car, or get rid?

Is there a website or anything like that?

I don't really know what I should do first.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You could either sell it or scrap it depending on how old it is and what condition it's in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Old as in passed it's best, needs some repair and TLC....bit of a banger.

Haha, thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by goodwinning
You could either sell it or scrap it depending on how old it is and what condition it's in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's over 20 years old, Thanks
Reply 4
The trouble is figuring out if it is just a pile of ****, which I have been told it is, but, it does look like it so I do know. It's one of those VW Golfs.
Reply 5
NOOOOOOOO!

.....wait, can I get anything for scrapping it?
Reply 6
Drive it off a cliff
Reply 7
Yeah, might do that, thanks.
If only there were a well marketed company with an annoying advert that proclaimed to buy any car.
Reply 9
Original post by spanker
Drive it off a cliff

Lol, very helpful.
Reply 10
Original post by moonkatt
If only there were a well marketed company with an annoying advert that proclaimed to buy any car.

If there was, I probably wouldn't trust it anyway :smile:.
dump it in the north sea
Reply 12
Original post by driftawaay
dump it in the north sea

cheers, for the suggestion.
Does it have an MOT, what sort of car is it?

If you want low hassle that have a look in your local news paper there will probably be a few companies adverting who will take away scrap cars. The might give you a few quid but not loads, it will depend on the value of scrap steel (which is very changeable).

If you want to try and get a few quid the you could try advertising it on gumtree or ebay. You could also put an add in the local paper and see if any local news agents will let you put up an advert. But you're not going to get a lot for it.
Reply 14
Original post by KCLeblanc
Does it have an MOT, what sort of car is it?

If you want low hassle that have a look in your local news paper there will probably be a few companies adverting who will take away scrap cars. The might give you a few quid but not loads, it will depend on the value of scrap steel (which is very changeable).

If you want to try and get a few quid the you could try advertising it on gumtree or ebay. You could also put an add in the local paper and see if any local news agents will let you put up an advert. But you're not going to get a lot for it.

No MOT, VW Golf.

Btw, is that form you have to send when you longer own the vehicle V5 or V5C? and
what is met to be filled out?
Original post by NHM713
No MOT, VW Golf.

Btw, is that form you have to send when you longer own the vehicle V5 or V5C? and
what is met to be filled out?

V5C is the current version, V5 is the old version. There should be one with the car. It will explain on the form to do, but it'll be different depending on who you're selling to and what they're doing with it. Are you the registered keeper?

If it's missing then you can apply to the DVLA for a replacement.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book
Reply 16
Throw it in the bin.
Reply 17
Original post by KCLeblanc
V5C is the current version, V5 is the old version. There should be one with the car. It will explain on the form to do, but it'll be different depending on who you're selling to and what they're doing with it. Are you the registered keeper?

If it's missing then you can apply to the DVLA for a replacement.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration-certificate-v5c-log-book

Yes. Thank you :smile:.
Reply 18
Original post by Guy123
Throw it in the bin.

Wish it was as easy as that.
I gave an old car to the local fire brigade.

They need them to practice cutting rescues on.

They cam with a transporter, signed a document for me and took the car Away
I could have got a few quid scrap value but figured that if ever I have a crash, I might be glad of somebody who has done it a few times before

Quick Reply

Latest