The Student Room Group

Medicine through clearing? if all uni's reject???

Hi i would like to find out what happend when you can not get into any of teh uni's that you ahve applied for.

i beleive that you can only apply to 4 uni's and say that you were not able to get in becasue of lack of voluntery work, experience, persoanl statment, what options do you have left, can you get into medicine through clearing or do you not need to have an interview for medicine at all universites????

can you apply to other uni's or do you have to apply for a different coures, have gap year or something???

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mustafa
Hi i would like to find out what happend when you can not get into any of teh uni's that you ahve applied for.

i beleive that you can only apply to 4 uni's and say that you were not able to get in becasue of lack of voluntery work, experience, persoanl statment, what options do you have left, can you get into medicine through clearing or do you not need to have an interview for medicine at all universites????

can you apply to other uni's or do you have to apply for a different coures, have gap year or something???

thanks

If you dont get in this time round (but lets be a little more positive eh?), you can always take a gap year and reapply next year. This route is probably much cheaper and easier than applying as a graduate (which is another option). If you reapply, without having resat any exams, AIUI, you can apply anywhere you like.
Do make sure you ask for feedback from places you were rejected from so you know what you need to improve on. A gap year may be an excellent chance to do so!

Having said that, I know a handful of people in my year (1st year- Cardiff University) who were rejected initially, but were accepted via clearing. Now I'm not sure at all as to whether some of them had been interviewed or not.

Anyhow, good luck with your application!:smile:
Reply 2
if you get the grades, just reapply and do a good personal statement again and more work experience.
if you havnt got the grades...its very very difficult...unless you have extenuating circumstances.

yea without being negative, if you dont get in first time you can plan for a great gap year really early on!
Reply 3
hey erm.. good advice! I was wondering, is there any point in asking for feedback if you didn't get an interview.. i.e. straight rejection?
Reply 4
yeah definate...then you'll know why you didn't get an interview. You then go away and take a gap year and improve on that aspect so you do get the interview the next year :smile:
Reply 5
yeah i did that last year and it really helped
Reply 6
Me too...Last year sheffield told me to improve my ps - I did, and now I own a unconditional offer.
Reply 7
_GUESS_
Me too...Last year sheffield told me to improve my ps - I did, and now I own a unconditional offer.

Did they give you any advice on how to improve it, or just tell you to improve it?
Reply 8
Yeah, they hinted a bit about my work experiences, this is a paragraph from the long email that they sent:

"Your application would be stronger if you could spend more time in different clinical settings, and more participation-type experience (e.g volunteering in a hospice/care home). This would strengthen the evidence that you are a people person and allow you to bring out the qualities that you think you possess to become a good doctor."

So I went and got more work experiences done, and added this to my personal statement. I also improved the whole of my ps, last year I thought my ps for 2006 entry was top notch, looking back at it this year it was just "horrible" (simply put). I think I applied this year with a much better ps:rolleyes: .

May I add, sheffield seemed the only uni to really provide a decent feedback. A lot just gave useless feedbacks that just sounded rehearsed.
Reply 9
I also thought I'd tell you my gcse results, which aren't really great:

A*AAABBBCCCC, initially I thought I couldn't make it since one of the c's were in English lang. but I managed afterall.
_GUESS_
Yeah, they hinted a bit about my work experiences, this is a paragraph from the long email that they sent:

"Your application would be stronger if you could spend more time in different clinical settings, and more participation-type experience (e.g volunteering in a hospice/care home). This would strengthen the evidence that you are a people person and allow you to bring out the qualities that you think you possess to become a good doctor."

So I went and got more work experiences done, and added this to my personal statement. I also improved the whole of my ps, last year I thought my ps for 2006 entry was top notch, looking back at it this year it was just "horrible" (simply put). I think I applied this year with a much better ps:rolleyes: .

May I add, sheffield seemed the only uni to really provide a decent feedback. A lot just gave useless feedbacks that just sounded rehearsed.

That's the same feedback Sheffield gives everyone. Three of my friends were rejected without interview by Sheffield and they all got identical feedback containing that very same paragraph!
Reply 11
yehh i got that feedback aswel.
Reply 12
theatrical
That's the same feedback Sheffield gives everyone. Three of my friends were rejected without interview by Sheffield and they all got identical feedback containing that very same paragraph!

Which is why you should never ask for feedback when they tell you in your application acknowledgement letter that they won't offer either any, or individual feedback. Seriously, there are three people per place applying at least, they don't have time to do everyone! (Although if rejected with interview, Manchester do give a copy of the "Marking Scheme" filled out during your interview if you press hard enough) HINT HINT
Reply 13
Yeah but in that email there were also some stuff about my grades, reference, overall application etc. which i doubt was sent to all applicants. They even asked me about my year nine sats results before giving me this feedback.
Reply 14
ahhh year 9 sats...

the easy days
Reply 15
oh and manc also give you individual feedback if you were rejected without interview... i know this for a fact... ahem...
Reply 16
_GUESS_
Yeah but in that email there were also some stuff about my grades, reference, overall application etc. which i doubt was sent to all applicants. They even asked me about my year nine sats results before giving me this feedback.

Just wondering really, what impact do year 9 SATs have on the application? I dont remember putting them in my application.
Hehe year 9 SATS, my only exceptional performance, hehe literally :p:
Reply 18
I kinda had extenuating circumstances. I started studying in England from mid year nine onwards, and hence I had to take my gcses within 2 years of moving to England (so you can pretty much guess how 'average my english was). For that reason my gcses weren't that exceptional (especially eng lang being a C was a bit frustrating). Therefore unis required extra info from my referee to confirm alla this. Luckily sheffield uni only want a C for english language anyway:smile:.
Reply 19
Do uni's accept your mother tongue as a A-level as well, i am turkish and have already done the AS exam, if i do the A2 exam do they see it as a full A2 alevel or not count it as some uni's like imperial when i looked for other courses not medicine (physics) said that they done accept it but i didnt see anything like that for medicine?

Latest

Trending

Trending