The Student Room Group

Uni Vs Long Term Relationships Vs Long distance

Me and my Boyfried will have been 2gether 3 years when i go away to uni, we say we are going to make it work, but in reality do relationships Pre Uni actually work during Uni? I don't wana go to uni will false hope of being able to keep up a wonderful relationship with a guy i love if its going to be so difficult and drive us apart. Trust especially may be an issue. What are your thoughts? Has anybody made a relationship work whilst at uni that was long term before they went?

Scroll to see replies

It always depends on the relationship. Most don't, in my experience, and if trust is an issue now then uni will definitely make that worse.
Reply 2
I'm sorry but these kinda posts annoy the heck out me....what do u want me to say? put you out of your misery and say it never works blah blah.....If you BOTH WANT it to work it will.....I've been with my g/f for nearly 5 years....Shes been at Bristol University for the past 2 years...i currently live about an hour away from bristol...but i'm hoping to go to Leeds University (fingers crossed)....which would mean there would be over 4 hours of driving between us...but it doesn't matter.....the reason were still together now is because we never doubted that we would break up when we moved to different cities...

Be positive and don't listen to negative comments that it doesn't work because thats tosh....if YOU BOTH really want it to work...then it will!!

The worst thing you could do is worry about it, because that unnecessary worry will ironically be the reason you may break up .....so CHEER UP!!
It really does depend on your relationship. If you both trust each other 100% and both feel you can withstand the LDR then there is no reason not to try it. It will be tough but lots of people manage it, then again others don't. Just be careful that it doesn't effect settling into Uni.
Reply 4
What they all said.
I met my boyfriend through our uni website...but he was here from 03-04 and I didn't turn up until 04! So apart from a few months when he was at Bath our relationship has been long-distance the whole time (he lives in France and I live in England). Even though we technically met 'at uni', the fact that it's been long-distance has made it seem like we didn't. We've now been together for just over 2 years, and yes, it is difficult, but you just need to make sure you communicate and trust one another. As far as I'm concerned, my boyfriend and I have made it this far so there's no reason why we can't make it the rest of the way :smile:
Reply 5
my mate was goin out with his gf for about a yr before she went to uni, and so far they've still made it work! she went in sept 06. hes goin up at half term and spending like all week with her.
Reply 6
pjamesg
I'm sorry but these kinda posts annoy the heck out me....what do u want me to say? put you out of your misery and say it never works blah blah.....If you BOTH WANT it to work it will.....I've been with my g/f for nearly 5 years....Shes been at Bristol University for the past 2 years...i currently live about an hour away from bristol...but i'm hoping to go to Leeds University (fingers crossed)....which would mean there would be over 4 hours of driving between us...but it doesn't matter.....the reason were still together now is because we never doubted that we would break up when we moved to different cities...

Be positive and don't listen to negative comments that it doesn't work because thats tosh....if YOU BOTH really want it to work...then it will!!

The worst thing you could do is worry about it, because that unnecessary worry will ironically be the reason you may break up .....so CHEER UP!!

Completely agree. These posts are a little frustrating- even if everyone tells you 'LDRs can't work ever', would that make you break up with your boyfriend? (I assuming the answer is no, otherwise you may want to re-evaluate your relationship...) If you make the effort to make it work there's no reason why it shouldn't. Good luck

xxx

ps My boyfriend and I are an hour and a half apart and different unis (we got together in Year 13) and we just celebrated our 2 year anniversary - most of our relationship has been spent in different cities but we made it work with no problems.
Reply 7
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=339052

Same ****, different people! This thread might help :smile:
Reply 8
Yeh, people are saying mine and my boyfriends relationship wont work because we might be going to different unis. they seem to ignore the fact that we've been together for over a year and I live in Cardiff and he lives in Sheffield. Whatever uni's we go to we're more likely to be geographically closer than we are at the moment! Especially as he's gone on his gap year to australia for 4 months. If it's going to work - it'll work.
Reply 9
It can work. I'm in the second year of uni with me at Nottingham and the boyf in Durham. It's only working because we want it to and we trust eachother. Next year he goes to France so we will have to see how handle hardly seeing eachother at all. So yeah 5 years down the line it obviously can work but not for everyone. Give it a go at least, it annoys me when people break up first because they think uni will be too hard. At least try. xx
Reply 10
Thanx for all your replies, i defo don't wana break up with him, he just thinks that i mgiht want my freedom to sleep around (as if) wen i get there, but i don't im happy with him. I think im going to be going to Leeds and thats only 1.5 hours away in a car anyway. And he was even behind the idea of me extending Uni to 4 years to do 1 year in Australia, at uni there, which is cool.
I'm as paranoid as hell, I hate hate hate my boyfriend doing things without me!
Even so, he's at Liverpool University and I'm at Manchester - yeah it isn't that far away (in that I can go back to see him most weekends) & the relationship is fine, I still get upset/panicky when he goes out without me but I'm jsut that kind of person & I know realistically he's mine.
We've been togther 3 years and a bit :smile:
Reply 12
tbh you'll really have to stop being so paranoid, I can't imagine anything more irritating!! What are you going to be like if you get married?!
Reply 13
discombobulation, i used to be like that, but thankfully i got over that b4 it split us up. And Angelil i really don't think we will end up getting married, its something we have discussed but tbh i doubt he has the balls to go through with it lol
Reply 14
My pre uni bf and I have come to uni together and I was a little worried before we got here that something bad might happen, but we seem to have just slipped into uni life together and it's better than ever. He just asked me to marry him after we've finished Uni. :smile: It can work if you want it to!
Reply 15
Pink Diamond - lol maybe with age...most men are commitment-phobic when younger lol - even my boyfriend is rather reticent about it and he'll be 26 in August!!!

oh and congratulations Talya :smile:
Reply 16
Lol Angelil he has asked me jokingly (i think it was a joke, i just laughed anyway) and says he does want to but im saying i doubt he would actually go through with it. I mean he has trouble going through with things like agreeing to come round at a certain time. And Talya that is great, and so cute lol. Do you have seperate rooms tho?
Pink_Diamond
discombobulation, i used to be like that, but thankfully i got over that b4 it split us up. And Angelil i really don't think we will end up getting married, its something we have discussed but tbh i doubt he has the balls to go through with it lol

The way I am with my boyfriend will never split us up, I prefer to worry about how he is than not care cause if I was careless and stuff bad things'd be more likely cause I wouldn't be as annoying and possessive hehe
Reply 18
A wedding's a bit more important than coming round when he says he will :p: If it's meant to be, it'll happen :smile:
Reply 19
lol i think we would need to save us 1st anyway, im guna £30,000 in debt by 2009 lol and he just bought himself a car on finance, and struggles with his overdraft as it is.

Latest

Trending

Trending