The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

A215 - Creative Writing

I am totally unsure whether or not I should do A215 Creative Writing in October.

I enjoy reading, writing, poetry etc. But I need good grades, and feel something like creative writing may not give good grades, whereas something such as Financial Accounting is black or white with regards to your answers.

Has anyone studied A215 previously? Does anyone have the old TMA questions so I can see what they kind of ask for?
I did it a couple of years ago. The TMA questions aren't really questions; it's more a case of 'write a 2000 word story' or '40 lines of poetry' or whatever, and there are some prompts (like 'a hairbrush' or 'winter' or whatever) but you don't have to use them. You then also have to write a commentary for most TMAs, which is like an explanation of your creative choices in writing it, talking about the technical/craft aspects.

The key to doing well on A215 is to demonstrate that you've understood and used the techniques they've taught during the module, and part of doing that is to make the most of the commentary - usually 20% of the marks for each assignment are allocated to the commentary. And the other thing is to stick closely to what instructions they do give, so if there are particular instructions for the TMA then you need to work within them and not just decide to submit something that doesn't fit the brief.

Looking at the 2014 module stats, it looks like far more people did well at Creative Writing than at Financial Accounting, so that whole black-or-white thing isn't necessarily an advantage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending