The Student Room Group

AS Biology/Btec Applied Science L3

Hello, I've finished my 1st year of studying Btec applied science l3 Extended Diploma. Since my course is only coursework based I'm considering on revising the topics I've learnt.

We've learnt these topics in Biology: Biological molecules, Respiration, All the systems e.g. respiratory, circulation etc. We've basically learnt most of the topics of someone who would've done AS Biology.

Even though I haven't revised, could some people ask me some Biology Q? Could be a mixture of different topics?

Original post by Uz25
Hello, I've finished my 1st year of studying Btec applied science l3 Extended Diploma. Since my course is only coursework based I'm considering on revising the topics I've learnt.

We've learnt these topics in Biology: Biological molecules, Respiration, All the systems e.g. respiratory, circulation etc. We've basically learnt most of the topics of someone who would've done AS Biology.

Even though I haven't revised, could some people ask me some Biology Q? Could be a mixture of different topics?

Sure :smile: I'm a biology student and tutor so I'll give you as many as you like :P Here are 5 to get you started :smile:

1) Describe the cardiac cycle (5 marks)
2) Compare and contrast a triglyceride and a phospholipid (3 marks)
3) Outline the process of glycolysis (4 marks)
4) Describe the mechanism of inspiration (3 marks)
5) How does temperature affect enzyme activity. (3 marks)

Btw sorry if you haven't covered any of these :P I was just working off the topic suggestions :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Munrot07
Sure :smile: I'm a biology student and tutor so I'll give you as many as you like :P Here are 5 to get you started :smile:

1) Describe the cardiac cycle (5 marks)
2) Compare and contrast a triglyceride and a phospholipid (3 marks)
3) Outline the process of glycolysis (4 marks)
4) Describe the mechanism of inspiration (3 marks)
5) How does temperature affect enzyme activity. (3 marks)

Btw sorry if you haven't covered any of these :P I was just working off the topic suggestions :smile:

Thanks!

1) Erm I totally don't remember :/
2) A Phospholipid has a polar and non polar end which makes it insoluble in water. Triclycerides is also insoluble as it contains 3 fatty acids.
3)Ooo I learnt this! Glycolysis is the process which makes 2 pyruvate from a glucose molecule.

In step one, A hydrogen atom is added to Glucose to make Fructose as Glucose is insoluble. I don't remember the rest in detail :/ I remember there's Kreb cycle, ETC
4) Ooo I don't remember but I think the mechanism of inspiration is that the diaphragam goes down and the lungs goes up??
5)Temperature affects enzyme activity as if the temp is above 37 degrees, the active sites denature which would alter the shape, meaning that the substrates won't be able to fit into the active sites to create a chemical reaction. Likewise, if the temperature is below 37 degrees, the rate of reaction will decrease meaning that the active site shape denatures which means the substrate can't combine to make a chemical reaction.

I think these are wrong
Original post by Uz25
Thanks!

1) Erm I totally don't remember :/
2) A Phospholipid has a polar and non polar end which makes it insoluble in water. Triclycerides is also insoluble as it contains 3 fatty acids.
3)Ooo I learnt this! Glycolysis is the process which makes 2 pyruvate from a glucose molecule.

In step one, A hydrogen atom is added to Glucose to make Fructose as Glucose is insoluble. I don't remember the rest in detail :/ I remember there's Kreb cycle, ETC
4) Ooo I don't remember but I think the mechanism of inspiration is that the diaphragam goes down and the lungs goes up??
5)Temperature affects enzyme activity as if the temp is above 37 degrees, the active sites denature which would alter the shape, meaning that the substrates won't be able to fit into the active sites to create a chemical reaction. Likewise, if the temperature is below 37 degrees, the rate of reaction will decrease meaning that the active site shape denatures which means the substrate can't combine to make a chemical reaction.

I think these are wrong

Ill just correct what you have written :smile:

2) All you wrote is correct. Maybe just add that a phospholipid has a phosphate group (as the name suggests).

3) You could go into a lot more detail (or have you not learnt it in any more detail?). You're overall description is correct.

4) Again, what you write is correct you could just add more to it such as the lungs go up and out increasing volume. This means that the pressure in the lungs decrease so there is a pressure gradient which means air rushes into the lungs.

5) Pretty much correct. 2 things. 1) The enzyme and substrate combine to make an enzyme-substrate complex (just a bit of wording). 2) Why 37 degrees? Very few enzymes have this has their optimum. For example DNA polymerase works best at 95 degrees I believe. Every enzyme has a different optimum temperature.

Pretty much all you said was correct so well done :smile: You just need a bit more detail (but considering you haven't revise this is pretty good).
Ill just correct what you have written :smile:

2) All you wrote is correct. Maybe just add that a phospholipid has a phosphate group (as the name suggests).

3) You could go into a lot more detail (or have you not learnt it in any more detail?). You're overall description is correct.

4) Again, what you write is correct you could just add more to it such as the lungs go up and out increasing volume. This means that the pressure in the lungs decrease so there is a pressure gradient which means air rushes into the lungs.

5) Pretty much correct. 2 things. 1) The enzyme and substrate combine to make an enzyme-substrate complex (just a bit of wording). 2) Why 37 degrees? Very few enzymes have this has their optimum. For example DNA polymerase works best at 95 degrees I believe. Every enzyme has a different optimum temperature.

Pretty much all you said was correct so well done :smile: You just need a bit more detail (but considering you haven't revise this is pretty good).

Hehe thanks. Could u ask me q on organelles & function I think i'm good at that. Add another q on a topic I haven't stated.

I'm confused when u said ur a biology student and a tutor... doesn't make sense to me.

You seem very clever. What's your career plan ?..
Original post by Uz25
Hehe thanks. Could u ask me q on organelles & function I think i'm good at that. Add another q on a topic I haven't stated.

I'm confused when u said ur a biology student and a tutor... doesn't make sense to me.

You seem very clever. What's your career plan ?..

I'm a student at university and also do paid tutoring :smile: I plan to become a teacher :smile:

1) State the function of the following organelles:

Smooth ER
Ribosomes
Golgi
Lysosome

2) Describe how the mitochondrion is structurally adapted to perform its function

3) State 4 reasons why we should maintain biodiversity.
I'm a student at university and also do paid tutoring :smile: I plan to become a teacher :smile:

1) State the function of the following organelles:

Smooth ER
Ribosomes
Golgi
Lysosome

2) Describe how the mitochondrion is structurally adapted to perform its function

3) State 4 reasons why we should maintain biodiversity.

Cool i think you'd be a great one! What type of teacher? E.g. Primary, Secondary etc.

Oh my i learnt this like in December :/ Kinda forgotten it but i'll give it a go!

1) Smooth ER transports materials

Ribosomes is used for protein synthesis

Golgi secretes substances

Lysosome digests substances??

2) Clueless :/

3) Never learnt this plus don't even know what biodiversity is but i'll give it a go
Erm We should maintain biodiversity to avoid animals from dying as each animal requires it's suitable environment to survive. That's all i can think off

I don't think i did good :frown:((
Original post by Uz25
Cool i think you'd be a great one! What type of teacher? E.g. Primary, Secondary etc.

Oh my i learnt this like in December :/ Kinda forgotten it but i'll give it a go!

1) Smooth ER transports materials

Ribosomes is used for protein synthesis

Golgi secretes substances

Lysosome digests substances??

2) Clueless :/

3) Never learnt this plus don't even know what biodiversity is but i'll give it a go
Erm We should maintain biodiversity to avoid animals from dying as each animal requires it's suitable environment to survive. That's all i can think off

I don't think i did good :frown:((

Secondary teacher :smile: (especially A level :P )

1)

SER - It is used in the metabolism of lipids as well :smile:
Ribosomes - Correct
Golgi - Packages and processes molecules (e.g. adding carbohydrate chains to proteins)
Lysosmes - Correct

2) Inner membrane is infolded forming cristae which provide a larger surface area to volume ratio for reactions. It has it's own DNA and ribosomes so it can make enzymes needed for respiration.

3) Sorry...didn't know you hadn't done it :P That is a correct comment :smile: Other things include ethical reasons (if we have caused animals to die we should try and save them), species can be important for the economy (e.g. furniture) or medicine. They can be aesthetically pleasing. We don't want to destroy the ecosystem.
Secondary teacher :smile: (especially A level :P )

1)

SER - It is used in the metabolism of lipids as well :smile:
Ribosomes - Correct
Golgi - Packages and processes molecules (e.g. adding carbohydrate chains to proteins)
Lysosmes - Correct

2) Inner membrane is infolded forming cristae which provide a larger surface area to volume ratio for reactions. It has it's own DNA and ribosomes so it can make enzymes needed for respiration.

3) Sorry...didn't know you hadn't done it :P That is a correct comment :smile: Other things include ethical reasons (if we have caused animals to die we should try and save them), species can be important for the economy (e.g. furniture) or medicine. They can be aesthetically pleasing. We don't want to destroy the ecosystem.

YOUR VERY CLEVER aha :wink: Well thanks! I'll make u ask me q on a certain topic after i revised probs in a week time!

Nice one :smile: I think you'll be a great teacher! You seem to be VERY brainy.

I was considering doing biomedical science but i'm not into lab based careers so i'm considering: Nutrition & Dietetics which will lead to becoming a Dietician. Also, i'm considering teaching Primary/ Secondary Science.

In general i'm confused about uni courses and careers. Hate it how you have to decide your course quickly.
Original post by Uz25
YOUR VERY CLEVER aha :wink: Well thanks! I'll make u ask me q on a certain topic after i revised probs in a week time!

Nice one :smile: I think you'll be a great teacher! You seem to be VERY brainy.

I was considering doing biomedical science but i'm not into lab based careers so i'm considering: Nutrition & Dietetics which will lead to becoming a Dietician. Also, i'm considering teaching Primary/ Secondary Science.

In general i'm confused about uni courses and careers. Hate it how you have to decide your course quickly.

Feel free to make me ask any questions :P I'll also happily help with uni stuff :smile:

Were you considering biomed because you like the medicine, health or human side of it? If you are unsure of what you specifically want to go into it might be an idea to look at some courses and see what modules you like and see how they link to areas that you like. If you find in biology you just generally enjoy it...perhaps do a straight biology degree. If you do like the health and medicine side go biomed. If you are really into the food and health side becoming a dietitian might be a good idea. Have you had any work experience in any of these fields to see if you like that sort of work?
Feel free to make me ask any questions :P I'll also happily help with uni stuff :smile:

Were you considering biomed because you like the medicine, health or human side of it? If you are unsure of what you specifically want to go into it might be an idea to look at some courses and see what modules you like and see how they link to areas that you like. If you find in biology you just generally enjoy it...perhaps do a straight biology degree. If you do like the health and medicine side go biomed. If you are really into the food and health side becoming a dietitian might be a good idea. Have you had any work experience in any of these fields to see if you like that sort of work?

I've noticed I'm starting to enjoy biology more than chemistry. I'm starting to find chem hard but if I revise, i'm certain I'll find it average. :smile: :wink: .

I like helping people, giving advice & communicating with people. Also, the idea of helping people ease pain and reduce or prevent illnesses really seems awarding to me. I don't mind certain practical work however, I'm not the type of person who'd want to do it very often;it'll become very boring plus dangerous for my skin due to skin problems.

I like the idea of what dieticians do e.g give advice etc. Tbh I never thought about food but I'm aware that food is the funde mental aspect of everyday life. We need to eat certain foods .

This August I'll be shadowing a community dietician and will shadow a Primary teacher in September.
Original post by Uz25
I've noticed I'm starting to enjoy biology more than chemistry. I'm starting to find chem hard but if I revise, i'm certain I'll find it average. :smile: :wink: .

I like helping people, giving advice & communicating with people. Also, the idea of helping people ease pain and reduce or prevent illnesses really seems awarding to me. I don't mind certain practical work however, I'm not the type of person who'd want to do it very often;it'll become very boring plus dangerous for my skin due to skin problems.

I like the idea of what dieticians do e.g give advice etc. Tbh I never thought about food but I'm aware that food is the funde mental aspect of everyday life. We need to eat certain foods .

This August I'll be shadowing a community dietician and will shadow a Primary teacher in September.

It's good you've got the work experience :smile: see how you enjoy that but it sounds like you've actually got a reasonably good plan :smile:
It's good you've got the work experience :smile: see how you enjoy that but it sounds like you've actually got a reasonably good plan :smile:

Aha thanks :smile:. According to my description above, what course/career suit me?

Do dieticians and teachers get paid well?.
Original post by Uz25
Aha thanks :smile:. According to my description above, what course/career suit me?

Do dieticians and teachers get paid well?.

Both sound like they would suit you though i'd say you were edging towards a dietitian.

I have no idea how much dietitians are paid but teachers aren't amazingly well paid. It's plenty to live off but not the best paying job.
Both sound like they would suit you though i'd say you were edging towards a dietitian.

I have no idea how much dietitians are paid but teachers aren't amazingly well paid. It's plenty to live off but not the best paying job.

According to the internet, a dietician earns £21,000 when qualified. Once specalised in an area they earn £25,000 PLUS. I really want to shadow one in a hospital environment but most don't or never reply.

I kno this is out off topic but how can I improve my eyesight asap.
Original post by Uz25
According to the internet, a dietician earns £21,000 when qualified. Once specalised in an area they earn £25,000 PLUS. I really want to shadow one in a hospital environment but most don't or never reply.

I kno this is out off topic but how can I improve my eyesight asap.

Sadly I do not know this :P
Sadly I do not know this :P

Come on biology student hahaha.
Btw what other careers might suit me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending