The Student Room Group

Feminism and Meninism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
I fear that this is a problem with you then rather than a problem with feminism. Women are achieving and you don't like it because you think men are better.

i don't "think" men are better, they are.
Original post by kate37
No. Sorry.

Okay so in today's society, white people do not face oppression because of their skin colour.
Black people do. They face oppression because of their skin colour.
If a white person slanders a black person because of their skin colour they're being racist.
BUT because white people do not face oppression because of their skin colour they can not be subject to racism.

I'm not giving feminism a bad name? All of your examples are completely irrelevant. Please tell me how white people face oppression because of their skin colour?

I see this a lot on social media and I don't understand this belief that oppression is intrinsic to racism. As a white female, I have been discriminated against (due to my skin colour) in a few situations. Some worse than others but I would never consider myself 'oppressed' because, well, I'm not. I also appreciate that people experience far far worse! But being stopped in the street by a 6foot+ male who felt it was suitable to point out the faults amongst people of "my skin colour" in a rather aggressive manner (to say the least) surely counts as being 'subject to racism' in the most literal sense?

I'm also interested by your definition of race, of which is typically taken to be a group of genetically different individuals. Many Jewish people share similar genetic 'patterns' of which arguably means they could be considered a race (of which is obviously quite a complex debate and not something I particularly wish to go off-topic with!). My grandparents were unfortunate enough to be taken captive by Nazis, but also fortunate enough to be liberated and migrate to the UK. Here, they suffered horrendous oppression in the small village that they lived in, of which I think is a little too much to go into for the sake of TSR. But my point is, they are white, and what they experienced was undoubtedly racism. Whilst I agree that in the UK "white people do not face oppression due to their skin colour" as you stated, I don't think it's fair to say that they cannot experience racism.

I'm in no way trying to challenge or belittle what you're saying; there are obvious tensions with regards to race relations that urgently need to address in both the UK and America. However, I'm just urging you (and many other people that share your viewpoint) to be a bit more compassionate when posting such sweeping statements on social media.
Original post by kate37
Sorry, where's your evidence of all these white people facing racism? I assume you're white, how many times have you faced racism?

Are you kidding? Irish people have faced terrible racism
Its a term used to describe male chauvinists, as far as intelligent people are concerned.
Original post by kate37
No. Sorry.

Okay so in today's society, white people do not face oppression because of their skin colour.
Black people do. They face oppression because of their skin colour.
If a white person slanders a black person because of their skin colour they're being racist.
BUT because white people do not face oppression because of their skin colour they can not be subject to racism.

I'm not giving feminism a bad name? All of your examples are completely irrelevant. Please tell me how white people face oppression because of their skin colour?

You're unbelievably idiotic

Quick Reply