Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exercise

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014

Right. So I need to get fit. No hurry, but I'm aiming to be fit by uni in October.
    Currently I've put on a fair amount of weight (we're not talking obese, but there's definite beer belly-age going on). I've always been slightly chubby since I had the growth spurt a good few years ago (prior to which I was just plain fat) but I'm going to try and tone up some (we're not talking Arnold Swarcha-whatever).

So this requires a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. I know this. The diet I can do (and am doing), but the exercise is what I need help with. Ever since I've moved house and away from my swimming I've found it difficult to get exercise. So I need a plan.

What exercises should I be doing? I've got sit-ups and push-ups (even though I hate them), what else should I do? Sit-ups and push-ups are both upper body things, I need focus on the lower body too! As long as it doesn't involve running I'll do it!

Thanks for any help guys!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can make your sit-ups more lower-body focused as well - do two jobs in one - by sitting next to your bed, and putting your feet on the bed as you do the situps...it's not a big difference but it can add an extra bit of muscle-work to your usual situps, it's what I do and I feel it working my thighs etc a lot more as well.
    Obviously this isn't a big difference so I'm not really answering your question sorry, it's just a suggestion as to how to make what you're currently doing more effective.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So you can't go swimming, and you don't want to run... I'd suggest rowing. After swimming, I find this works the most muscles. Join a gym and use one, or 'acquire' (buy, beg, steal, borrow?) a machine somehow. You should try and find a swimming pool again though.

If you're looking to get fit in the comfort of your own home, I'd suggest burpees (done correctly - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee), squat thrusts, dynamic squats (ie. you jump 180 degrees back and forth whilst doing them), dorsal raises (helps back musculature), crunches, press-ups (w/ or w/o claps, salutes)...

Do them in a routine - ie. do all of these things (alternating between upper and lower body exercises eg. squat thrusts, then press-ups, then crunches, then burpees etc etc), and don't take a break in between each set(or, if you must, about 5 seconds)! Start with doing about 20 each, although that depends largely on your fitness I suppose. They're better for building up muscle and making them burn more energy daily in the long run rather than a conventional cardio workout - so if you want to lose weight, stick to rowing, swimming etc. Although, you really should give running a chance! You get used to it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Right. So I need to get fit. No hurry, but I'm aiming to be fit by uni in October.
    Currently I've put on a fair amount of weight (we're not talking obese, but there's definite beer belly-age going on). I've always been slightly chubby since I had the growth spurt a good few years ago (prior to which I was just plain fat) but I'm going to try and tone up some (we're not talking Arnold Swarcha-whatever).

So this requires a healthy diet and plenty of exercise. I know this. The diet I can do (and am doing), but the exercise is what I need help with. Ever since I've moved house and away from my swimming I've found it difficult to get exercise. So I need a plan.

What exercises should I be doing? I've got sit-ups and push-ups (even though I hate them), what else should I do? Sit-ups and push-ups are both upper body things, I need focus on the lower body too! As long as it doesn't involve running I'll do it!

Thanks for any help guys!

You need to work out *why* you want to get fit. If its to lose a bit of weight and look better then you should probably be doing something different to if you want to get fit so that you can do a certain sport more effectively.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go hereto find some good advice regarding workout routines. do not be afraid about joining a gym and lifting weights, you will not look like a bodybuilder from doing so.

It is important to supplement working out with a good form of cardio exercise such as skipping, sprints or bike riding to improve fitness. Also, make sure your diet is clean and you eat 6 small meals a day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimson Black)
    So you can't go swimming, and you don't want to run... I'd suggest rowing. After swimming, I find this works the most muscles. Join a gym and use one, or 'acquire' (buy, beg, steal, borrow?) a machine somehow. You should try and find a swimming pool again though.

If you're looking to get fit in the comfort of your own home, I'd suggest burpees (done correctly - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee), squat thrusts, dynamic squats (ie. you jump 180 degrees back and forth whilst doing them), dorsal raises (helps back musculature), crunches, press-ups (w/ or w/o claps, salutes)...

Do them in a routine - ie. do all of these things (alternating between upper and lower body exercises eg. squat thrusts, then press-ups, then crunches, then burpees etc etc), and don't take a break in between each set(or, if you must, about 5 seconds)! Start with doing about 20 each, although that depends largely on your fitness I suppose. They're better for building up muscle and making them burn more energy daily in the long run rather than a conventional cardio workout - so if you want to lose weight, stick to rowing, swimming etc. Although, you really should give running a chance! You get used to it.
    Land with feet together, on the balls of your feet..
    And if I don't have balls on my feet, whats the alternative landing position?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -hybrid-)
    And if I don't have balls on my feet, whats the alternative landing position?
    Dunno - try strapping on some roller blades? :p:

The alternative is, I suppose, not landing at all, which is near impossible and would effectively negate the benefits of the exercise. :rolleyes:

shut up, morons.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: February 8, 2007
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.