The Student Room Group

Possible move with child

Hi, I haven't posted here before so I'm hoping to find someone who has been in this situation!

I've just passed my access course and I'm going to apply for university for 2016. I'm a single parent of a 2 year old. I'm going to apply to the university in my city and hope I get in but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I'm going to use all my 5 spaces and apply to others. However this would mean moving to a different city (if I got into one further away). I'm a little bit worried - I'm close to my family, my son still sees his father etc. I'd have to find a new place to live, get my son a new nursery place. It's a lifelong dream of mine to go to uni but it seems a bit daunting. Has anyone else moved with children to go to uni?
Reply 1
Hi there, I was potentially in a same scenario but luckily I live not too far from two unis which both did the course I wanted. I personally would think its a huge upheaval and you basically have answered your own question. What course are you planning to go for? If you meet all the entry requirements at your local uni, plus completed an access course which is a very hard task in itself and are also a mature student which unis typically like to have on their books then you are in a very good position. With a bit of self belief you stand a very high chance in your preferred uni. We are all different but I know realistically I couldn't make that move, but I bet there's a ton of people who have and done very well.
Original post by alicecx
Hi, I haven't posted here before so I'm hoping to find someone who has been in this situation!

I've just passed my access course and I'm going to apply for university for 2016. I'm a single parent of a 2 year old. I'm going to apply to the university in my city and hope I get in but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket so I'm going to use all my 5 spaces and apply to others. However this would mean moving to a different city (if I got into one further away). I'm a little bit worried - I'm close to my family, my son still sees his father etc. I'd have to find a new place to live, get my son a new nursery place. It's a lifelong dream of mine to go to uni but it seems a bit daunting. Has anyone else moved with children to go to uni?

Hi Alice. It may be worth looking at universities that offer family accommodation and a creche (such as Surrey) where you will be surrounded by people in a similar situation and where your son's childcare provider will understand the needs of a student-parent. You need to balance this against the babysitting-potential of having family close-by, for those times when professional childcare can't meet your needs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending