The Student Room Group

Is it still possible to swap my firm and insurance and how do I go about this??

My first choice is Heriot Watt and my second is Newcastle, both to study chemical engineering and I've now changed my mind and want to go to Newcastle.
Reply 1
Original post by chloee1996
My first choice is Heriot Watt and my second is Newcastle, both to study chemical engineering and I've now changed my mind and want to go to Newcastle.

Hi,

If you miss your offer for Heriot Watt but get it for Newcastle then you will be accepted for Newcastle. You can however call Heriot Watt on results day if you would prefer to go to Newcastle and try to reject their offer. You should be able to do this as some students do this for adjustment purposes where they do far better than predicted and apply to a better university. Just make sure to call Newcastle first to make sure they'd accept you before rejecting Heriot Watt!
Reply 2
Original post by Charlottelt
Hi,

If you miss your offer for Heriot Watt but get it for Newcastle then you will be accepted for Newcastle. You can however call Heriot Watt on results day if you would prefer to go to Newcastle and try to reject their offer. You should be able to do this as some students do this for adjustment purposes where they do far better than predicted and apply to a better university. Just make sure to call Newcastle first to make sure they'd accept you before rejecting Heriot Watt!

My offer for heriot watt is AAB 2As in maths and chem and B in biology, whereas Newcastle was AAA for the Meng however if I don't get AAA they can consider you for the BEng which was AAB to ABB I think,So only way that would work is if I get a B in maths or chemistry (which is very possible) and got rejected by heriot watt and accepted by Newcastle to do the BEng. But would it not be better for me to ring up me try change it so Newcastle is my firm? because I really want to go there and it's seems risky the other way incase heriot watt still accept me. I would consider taking a year out if I didn't get into Newcastle :/
My offer for heriot watt is AAB 2As in maths and chem and B in biology, whereas Newcastle was AAA for the Meng however if I don't get AAA they can consider you for the BEng which was AAB to ABB I think,So only way that would work is if I get a B in maths or chemistry (which is very possible) and got rejected by heriot watt and accepted by Newcastle to do the BEng. But would it not be better for me to ring up me try change it so Newcastle is my firm? because I really want to go there and it's seems risky the other way incase heriot watt still accept me. I would consider taking a year out if I didn't get into Newcastle :/

It is too late to swap officially. But you can still do something.

Contact Newcastle today and explain that you no longer want to go to your firm and ask if they will honour your offer if you arrange for HW to reject you.

If they are happy with that they might be willing to contact HW on your behalf (ask if the can - they'll need to talk about how to make it happen anyway). If the won't contact HW you'll need to do that. Unfortunately it is a Bank Holiday in Scotland today and Scottish results day tomorrow so it might be tricky getting hold of someone who can help quickly.

There are 3 different ways HW can pass you to Newcastle.

Officially if you meet your offer for HW they are supposed to confirm your place and then release you into clearing (and Newcastle arrange for you to get accepted there via clearing).
If you miss your offer then HW can reject you and you pass to your insurance automatically (and if HW are nice then they might be willing to do this even if you meet your offer).
The third way technically only applies if you exceed your HW offer - you hit the adjustment button and Newcastle pick you up that way. If you're having trouble with HW and Newcastle are cooperating it is possible to use this even if you haven't exceeded your offer (Newcastle are responsible for checking that you're eligible).

So yes - quite complex and reliant on both universities. Ring up Newcastle today and ask their advice. Take down names and job titles of every person you speak to.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
It is too late to swap officially. But you can still do something.

Contact Newcastle today and explain that you no longer want to go to your firm and ask if they will honour your offer if you arrange for HW to reject you.

If they are happy with that they might be willing to contact HW on your behalf (ask if the can - they'll need to talk about how to make it happen anyway). If the won't contact HW you'll need to do that. Unfortunately it is a Bank Holiday in Scotland today and Scottish results day tomorrow so it might be tricky getting hold of someone who can help quickly.

There are 3 different ways HW can pass you to Newcastle.

Officially if you meet your offer for HW they are supposed to confirm your place and then release you into clearing (and Newcastle arrange for you to get accepted there via clearing).
If you miss your offer then HW can reject you and you pass to your insurance automatically (and if HW are nice then they might be willing to do this even if you meet your offer).
The third way technically only applies if you exceed your HW offer - you hit the adjustment button and Newcastle pick you up that way. If you're having trouble with HW and Newcastle are cooperating it is possible to use this even if you haven't exceeded your offer (Newcastle are responsible for checking that you're eligible).

So yes - quite complex and reliant on both universities. Ring up Newcastle today and ask their advice. Take down names and job titles of every person you speak to.

Okay thanks!
Yeah I phoned ucas and its too late so I have to wait until results day :frown: Ive already looked up Newcastles provisonal clearing list and chemical engineering isn't on it so it makes me feel like I'm gonna have to take a year out if I wanna go there. if I get AAA i could try adjustment but chemical engineering has to be on an adjustment list or something like that doesn't it?
Okay thanks!
Yeah I phoned ucas and its too late so I have to wait until results day :frown: Ive already looked up Newcastles provisonal clearing list and chemical engineering isn't on it so it makes me feel like I'm gonna have to take a year out if I wanna go there. if I get AAA i could try adjustment but chemical engineering has to be on an adjustment list or something like that doesn't it?

Do NOT wait until results day (and don't talk to UCAS about this stuff - they're obsessed with their own rules and timetables and will give you very dodgy advice this time of year unless you get lucky and speak to the one person in the call centre who has a clue)

Ring Newcastle - explain that you'd like to go there over HW and ask them what they recommend you do.
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Do NOT wait until results day (and don't talk to UCAS about this stuff - they're obsessed with their own rules and timetables and will give you very dodgy advice this time of year unless you get lucky and speak to the one person in the call centre who has a clue)

Ring Newcastle - explain that you'd like to go there over HW and ask them what they recommend you do.

I rang Newcastle before I rang UCAS and they told me to ring and ask UCAS if its possible and if it was to ring them back but it wasn't so i didn't ring them back. They also said I'd have to wait until results and ask to decline Heriot Watt. Should I ring and try again lol even though I already know from UCAS its not possible?
I rang Newcastle before I rang UCAS and they told me to ring and ask UCAS if its possible and if it was to ring them back but it wasn't so i didn't ring them back. They also said I'd have to wait until results and ask to decline Heriot Watt. Should I ring and try again lol even though I already know from UCAS its not possible?

I'd still try again with Newcastle tbh - not to ask to SWAP firm/insurance (because everyone is right - that isn't possible - that's why you're getting fobbed off) but to ask if they're willing to honour their offer if you can arrange to get out of your obligation to HW (even if that happens while Track is locked down so you can't see until results day itself). Make sure you're speaking to the central admissions team (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/enquiries/ first phone number) and get names/job titles....and if they don't help speak to your department.

You definitely don't have to wait for results day - if HW and Newcastle are both aware of your preference and are willing to make it happen then they can make sure it is sorted out with minimal fuss on results day.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
I'd still try again with Newcastle tbh - not to ask to SWAP firm/insurance (because everyone is right - that isn't possible - that's why you're getting fobbed off) but to ask if they're willing to honour their offer if you can arrange to get out of your obligation to HW (even if that happens while Track is locked down so you can't see until results day itself). Make sure you're speaking to the central admissions team (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/enquiries/ first phone number) and get names/job titles....and if they don't help speak to your department.

You definitely don't have to wait for results day - if HW and Newcastle are both aware of your preference and are willing to make it happen then they can make sure it is sorted out with minimal fuss on results day.

Okay I'll try that, would this mean id only have my Newcastle offer? Cause then the only offer I have is AAA which I'm not sure I will get haha. I only have today to do this as I'm going on holiday tonight and won't be back until day before results :/

Quick Reply