The Student Room Group

Why has The University of Nottingham dropped down the league tables?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
It is the reputation of the department that is more important ... and did you not see Exeter was 1st for world-leading research?

Not to everyone, and not to the OP. I place the overall rep of the university as the most important factor, as it often determines the quality of your degree and student experience.
Original post by Novelist
Warwick edges Nottingham, but the gap is small. At this moment in time I'd probably firm Warwick, and insure Nottingham. Exeter isn't quite in their class, sorry.

I am at Warwick, but I think most people would agree that Warwick does not "edge Nottingham" but is quite a bit ahead of it. Also, today,(not 7 years ago) but today Exeter is ahead of Nottingham.
Original post by Glenbard
I am at Warwick, but I think most people would agree that Warwick does not "edge Nottingham" but is quite a bit ahead of it. Also, today,(not 7 years ago) but today Exeter is ahead of Nottingham.

A matter of opinion. Employers still regard Nottingham very highly. At present Warwick is a bit ahead of Nottingham in the QS World rankings, but behind Nottingham for graduate employer targeting and research power. Nottingham's estate also makes Warwick's campus look silly in comparison. It is frustrating that Warwick University buildings look so dull and bland.

Exeter is not a World top 100 university.
(edited 8 years ago)
A matter of opinion. Employers still regard Nottingham very highly. At present Warwick is a bit ahead of Nottingham in the QS World rankings, but behind Nottingham for graduate employer targeting and research power. Nottingham's estate also makes Warwick's campus look silly in comparison. It is frustrating that Warwick University buildings look so dull and bland.

Exeter is not a World top 100 university.

An English degree from Exeter is 'worth more' than one from Warwick - and the campus is way better than Nottingham. Ditto halls and student facilities - have you actually been to Exeter? I've been to many unis as part of my role in school and so am in a good place to compare.

Do you realise that every argument people give against Nottingham you don't follow through but go off on a tangent ...
An English degree from Exeter is 'worth more' than one from Warwick - and the campus is way better than Nottingham. Ditto halls and student facilities - have you actually been to Exeter? I've been to many unis as part of my role in school and so am in a good place to compare.

Do you realise that every argument people give against Nottingham you don't follow through but go off on a tangent ...

According to the Times, Nottingham has a campus which is amongst the most attractive in Britain. They also have campuses in Malaysia and China which are almost as stunning. The jubilee campus is state of the art and has some gorgeous buildings, especially the Innovation Park.

I suggest you do some research on Nottingham before dissing it's campus. I have seen Exeter close up, and it's buildings are not anything special. Still, better than those at Warwick.

Just forget this thing you have than Exeter is a top echelon university until it is at least in the top 100 of a major World ranking. Every major UK university has this aim of being in the top 100, and then onto being a top 50 university.
(edited 8 years ago)
Three of you are arguing for each of the three different universities in question. It's futile! :wink:
According to the Times, Nottingham has a campus which is amongst the most attractive in Britain. They also have campuses in Malaysia and China which are almost as stunning. The jubilee campus is state of the art and has some gorgeous buildings, especially the Innovation Park.

I suggest you do some research on Nottingham before dissing it's campus. I have seen Exeter close up, and it's buildings are not anything special. Still, better than those at Warwick.

Just forget this thing you have than Exeter is a top echelon university until it is at least in the top 100 of a major World ranking. Every major UK university has this aim of being in the top 100, and then onto being a top 50 university.

When did you last go to Exeter? I went in 2014 and saw the new Sports Hall and Student centre - amazing. I last visited Notingham uni in 2013 and I don't see anything new since then ...

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/forum/gallery/

"A Registered Botanic Garden, Streatham Campus is described by The Times as the ‘best-gardened campus in Britain’ and by The Independent as having a ‘sublime’ setting. The grounds feature many exotic trees and shrubs and with stunning views across the city to the sea at Exmouth. Many students say they simply fell in love with the campus when they came to visit its lakes, parkland, woodland and gardens make it a very special place that offers a safe and enjoyable environment for study."

Nottingham's student halls are excellent, and the ones at University Park have quite a bit of history, not that you would know as you have never seen them. Florence Boothall, Hugh Stewart, Derby in particular stand out.

Stop commenting about things you know nothing about beyond gossip and hearsay.
When did you last go to Exeter? I went in 2014 and saw the new Sports Hall and Student centre - amazing. I last visited Notingham uni in 2013 and I don't see anything new since then ...

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/forum/gallery/

"A Registered Botanic Garden, Streatham Campus is described by The Times as the ‘best-gardened campus in Britain’ and by The Independent as having a ‘sublime’ setting. The grounds feature many exotic trees and shrubs and with stunning views across the city to the sea at Exmouth. Many students say they simply fell in love with the campus when they came to visit its lakes, parkland, woodland and gardens make it a very special place that offers a safe and enjoyable environment for study."

You couldn't have possibly seen University Park (a 330 acre campus) and Jubilee Campus in full all in one day as this would be impossible. There is also the Sutton Bonington campus which holds the Vet school. I don't know where you are going with this, but to my mind, and to those of top employers and academics, Exeter isn't there yet. And it isn't in the top 100, something which even Queen Mary has acheived.
(edited 8 years ago)
You couldn't have possibly seen University Park (a 330 acre campus) and Jubilee Campus in full all in one day as this would be impossible. There is also the Sutton Bonington campus which holds the Vet school. I don't know where you are going with this, but to my mind, and to those of top employers and academics, Exeter isn't there yet. And it isn't in the top 100, something which even Queen Mary has acheived.

When did I say I had been only once? I said I last visited in 2013 ... I have been a number of times.

Pointless discussing with you ... when you've visited as many unis as I have you will be better informed.
When did I say I had been only once? I said I last visited in 2013 ... I have been a number of times.

Pointless discussing with you ... when you've visited as many unis as I have you will be better informed.

Even the university itself claims many students, even after spending years at the campuses, would still discover new things they thought never existed, such as waterfalls and the Millenium garden.

Nottingham may not have the best campuses in the UK, but it certainly has among the best. And for good value, they have started building a £40 million sports village, and have a 10 year masterplan for each campus to make them even better.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Glenbard

Exeter isn't even in the top 150 of any of the major World rankings (QS, THES, ARWU). So you have based your analysis on UK rankings, and we all know how good they are at measuring prestige . . .
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by `Jts
Nottingham, as a city, is a lot larger than Exeter. Large cities have a lot of crime; it's just something you have to deal with. Even Cardiff, which is probably one of the safest large city in UK has a lot of crime. I live in a very rough part of Cardiff and someone was murdered not to far down the road from me a few days ago. Someone else was found dead in the River Taff earlier today.

And this area is 1-2 miles away from Cardiff University.

Thank you for your input
I agree that Warwick edges Nottingham in most areas, but Warwick suffers for being in the middle of knowhere, and for having a bland campus with very ordinary buildings.Exeter is comfortably behind Warwick and Nottingham for overall prestige, at least according to employers, Research Power and World rankings.This is C_Richards99 isn't it?
HAHAHAHA You've got to stop thinking that everyone who doesn't think that Nottingham is impressive as you believe it to be is me. I'm not one to make fake accounts like you have you done with all your throwaway accounts.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
How is that necessarily good for the future? Which top university in the world has a big undergraduate body?ham to be their promoter? It seems your entire post was just a promotional material from them. You made up figures and ignored other figures to present Nottingham to be much better than it is.In reality, its surplus is nowhere near as impressive as you've made it seems, neither is its turnover. Its number of applications doesn't make it prestigious or good in any way, and in fact top universities would rather have a smaller undergraduate population. You said they focused on QS and RAE/REF, yet they fell on QS (72-75-77 in the last three years) and did not deviate from being Top 10 on the latter (they did rise significantly on this, but they were considered a Top 10 university a decade ago, so being No 8 is not a shockingly good result).
Can I just thank you for posting all of this? They're only good in one world ranking (only kinda "good" anyways as it's 14th in the UK), not in the top 100 in any other world rankings, they've done badly in the REF (26th for GPA) and they've got low entry standards. I have no idea why Novelist is has such a massive insecurity about his alma matter. He always goes about bashing other universities on TSR (using Novelist and his other accounts) to try and make Nottingham seem like the best university in the country.
Original post by PQ
Wow. Snobbery much?You're showing your true colours here. You aren't interested in advising the OP or in discussing the answer to the OPs question about the reasons for Nottingham slipping down the rankings.Your main motivation appears to be to belittle other people and other universities in order to boost your own ego. What a shame- you seem pretty smart and interested in higher education and you are wasting your time sniping and bickering in a "my dad's better than yours" contest.
You are sorely mistaken. Having had come across him previously, he ignores all valid points and goes about with the same drivel about Nottingham's past glory.

You are clearly not reading the comments on here or taking the facts seriously - there is no good reason to choose Nottingham for any course - better courses and better places elsewhere.

You seem to have Vendetta against Nottingham. I'm a Nottingham student, and can acknowledge that it's not the best university in the country, but it is certainly better than a large proportion of institutions in the country. Numerous courses are consistently ranked within the top 10 in the country. There's absolutely no reason to avoid Nottingham, and a good degree from there will place you in a very good position. Furthermore, all the remarks about crime, are nothing further from the truth. Nothing has happened to me, nor of anybody else I know. Of course that doesn't mean that crime does not occur, just like any other city :redface:
Original post by arnoob
You seem to have Vendetta against Nottingham. I'm a Nottingham student, and can acknowledge that it's not the best university in the country, but it is certainly better than a large proportion of institutions in the country. Numerous courses are consistently ranked within the top 10 in the country. There's absolutely no reason to avoid Nottingham, and a good degree from there will place you in a very good position. Furthermore, all the remarks about crime, are nothing further from the truth. Nothing has happened to me, nor of anybody else I know. Of course that doesn't mean that crime does not occur, just like any other city :redface:

Nottingham does feel like a prestigious university when you actually stay there as a student. Students getting in with AAB/ABB grades are getting a really good deal, I say to them to make the most of it because in future years it will be harder to get in.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nottingham does feel like a prestigious university when you actually stay there as a student.

It certainly does with a lot of statistic backing this up (disregarding current league tables). It's sometimes maybe a bit exaggerated though. But it is well regarded by employers, and to my surprise it has fairly good international reputation too. I have also heard of plan to improve it over the next years significantly. Entry requirements are to rise sharply, and more funding is being injected is numerous subject areas.
Hey.
I don't really know much about Warwick or Exeter but I am a current student at Nottingham.
Firstly, I believe you should choose the uni that appeals to you the most. I don't read rankings because I don't think they show the true aspects of the university, they are focused too often on figures and not really on the actual experience. Though a degree at all three would be looked upon greatly by employers.
Nottingham has invested a lot in its campuses - the new science library is currently being finished and I love how modern and open it is (as a UON student you can go to any of their libraries regardless if it is your home library or not). They are also investing in a new sports centre which should be finished next year and are also upgrading the SU areas, so I feel as if they really value their students. We are also one of the top universities to be targeted by employers :smile:
University Park campus is absolutely gorgeous and there are loads of places to explore and inspire you! I also feel a sense of community within our students and also within our courses.
The city is a very safe place - ignore all the stories. Nottingham has a Purple Flag status meaning it is a very safe place at night. The city is a decent size. There are a lot of activities to do within the city and loads of places to eat and have a drink. Really something for everyone. My favourite place is Kitty Cafe.
If you choose to go to Notts, you will end up with a respectable degree and will have the time of your life :smile:
You should never choose a university based on league tables alone. You have to go to the one which feels right for you in all aspects. Just look at all those whining about St Andrews and how incredibly boring and cold the place is?

St Andrews is not a boring place... maybe at some points.
Original post by kendellex
Hey.
I don't really know much about Warwick or Exeter but I am a current student at Nottingham.
Firstly, I believe you should choose the uni that appeals to you the most. I don't read rankings because I don't think they show the true aspects of the university, they are focused too often on figures and not really on the actual experience. Though a degree at all three would be looked upon greatly by employers.
Nottingham has invested a lot in its campuses - the new science library is currently being finished and I love how modern and open it is (as a UON student you can go to any of their libraries regardless if it is your home library or not). They are also investing in a new sports centre which should be finished next year and are also upgrading the SU areas, so I feel as if they really value their students. We are also one of the top universities to be targeted by employers :smile:
University Park campus is absolutely gorgeous and there are loads of places to explore and inspire you! I also feel a sense of community within our students and also within our courses.
The city is a very safe place - ignore all the stories. Nottingham has a Purple Flag status meaning it is a very safe place at night. The city is a decent size. There are a lot of activities to do within the city and loads of places to eat and have a drink. Really something for everyone. My favourite place is Kitty Cafe.
If you choose to go to Notts, you will end up with a respectable degree and will have the time of your life :smile:

A valuable insight into life at Nottingham. Much better than the tripe spread by C_Richards99.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending