The Student Room Group

Why has The University of Nottingham dropped down the league tables?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by cazzem
That's very true, and solid advice. Although that's also why I've narrowed it down to these two universities, because I could see myself being there for three years and the courses appeal to me.

Unfortunately, I'm an international student and I don't have the opportunity to go visit the universities, therefore I'm trying to get as much advice as possible online before making my decision.

Exeter is very high satisfaction rates, and was in fact rated number 1 in the UK for international student. Great campus, great facilities,great social life, great University. It is better to go with a Uni on the rise, rather than one who is falling and its best years behind it......
Original post by cazzem
That's very true, and solid advice. Although that's also why I've narrowed it down to these two universities, because I could see myself being there for three years and the courses appeal to me.

Unfortunately, I'm an international student and I don't have the opportunity to go visit the universities, therefore I'm trying to get as much advice as possible online before making my decision.

Congrats on your offers, I'm actually making the same decision myself between Nottingham and Exeter, except Nottingham for English and Exeter for Law (Yes my PS was a confused mess). To be honest, researching both institutions over the past few months and deliberating I can say, perhaps unhelpfully at this stage to you, that you can't go wrong with either decision.

I've not visited either university yet, but I've lived in Nottingham for the majority of this year as my girlfriend is there and can say it's a fantastic city. I'm not sure what country you're from but there's a large amount of international students so I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in as such. I'm from a larger city (Birmingham) and much prefer Nottingham, it's generally a nicer place to be, has a younger vibe etc, and they're very good towards their students as they know they bring a lot of money to the city. Unfortunately I can't comment much on Exeter city but my research hasn't brought up anything alarming. I intend to visit them both early next year and make my decision. My advice to you would be just to make the most out of virtual tours, YouTube videos from other students and other online interactive things if you've not done so already. When I made this thread I already knew Nottingham was a good university, but I was of course very concerned about the rankings, which others users have clarified as to why this is.

This reply probably didn't help much, but my advice to you is to rest assured in the knowledge that theyre both very solid universities and will give you an excellent education, if you take full advantage of all opportunities, and to just do everything you can at the moment to get as much as a feel for both uni's without going - things I've done such as emailing the course tutors for my courses, reviewing where previous years graduates ended up, and so on, just get as much from the universities as you can, even if you feel like you're pestering them.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Edit: Syntax is a bit off since I typed this all out quickly on my phone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by EmpireofRome

The struggle is real. I type pretty much all my posts on my phone (because I don't really need a laptop) and it feels like I'm typing at such a snail's pace. I also find that I make so many typos.
Reply 163
Original post by EmpireofRome
Congrats on your offers, I'm actually making the same decision myself between Nottingham and Exeter, except Nottingham for English and Exeter for Law (Yes my PS was a confused mess). To be honest, researching both institutions over the past few months and deliberating I can say, perhaps unhelpfully at this stage to you, that you can't go wrong with either decision.

I've not visited either university yet, but I've lived in Nottingham for the majority of this year as my girlfriend is there and can say it's a fantastic city. I'm not sure what country you're from but there's a large amount of international students so I don't think you'll have a problem fitting in as such. I'm from a larger city (Birmingham) and much prefer Nottingham, it's generally a nicer place to be, has a younger vibe etc, and they're very good towards their students as they know they bring a lot of money to the city. Unfortunately I can't comment much on Exeter city but my research hasn't brought up anything alarming. I intend to visit them both early next year and make my decision. My advice to you would be just to make the most out of virtual tours, YouTube videos from other students and other online interactive things if you've not done so already. When I made this thread I already knew Nottingham was a good university, but I was of course very concerned about the rankings, which others users have clarified as to why this is.

This reply probably didn't help much, but my advice to you is to rest assured in the knowledge that theyre both very solid universities and will give you an excellent education, if you take full advantage of all opportunities, and to just do everything you can at the moment to get as much as a feel for both uni's without going - things I've done such as emailing the course tutors for my courses, reviewing where previous years graduates ended up, and so on, just get as much from the universities as you can, even if you feel like you're pestering them.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Thank you for your elaborate reply, it's greatly appreciated.

I'm currently leaning more to Exeter because it's frankly much better ranked in several rankings, and it seems that Exeter is generally regarded as the superior university nowadays. Granted people shouldn't make such an important decision purely based off rankings, but nonetheless it's an important factor for me. Although from what I've seen from YouTube and various websites, I think I would prefer the campus that Nottingham has and the overall feel.

As you said, both universities are solid choices, it's just that they seem vastly different. Meaning that Nottingham was once a top university, although that reputation has declined in recent years. Exeter, on the other hand, was once seen as a mediocre university but is now seen as a top 10-15 university.

Frankly it doesn't really matter much with career prospects from either university, it's more important as to which university would put me in a better standing for postgrad. I think I'm likely to do my postgrad in the USA, and consequently I think that Nottingham would be a more recognizable institution than Exeter in that regard.
Original post by cazzem

You are learning towards Exeter, but your main concern is the possibility of postgrad (which Notts would be better for).

That makes loads of sense.
Reply 165
Original post by callum_law
You are learning towards Exeter, but your main concern is the possibility of postgrad (which Notts would be better for).

That makes loads of sense.

No, I'm leaning towards Exeter because I feel like I would get the better quality of education there, thus still putting me in a good position for postgrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending