The Student Room Group

Why has The University of Nottingham dropped down the league tables?

I'm currently juggling offers between Exeter, Warwick and Nottingham. Deep down I want to go to Nottingham, but is there really any point? I've analysed University data from the late 90's to present day and Nottingham has slid year on year in general rankings, although their research (Irrelevant to me as an undergrad) and their global standing still remain strong. The value of your degree is intrinsically linked to your university name, there's no denying this, and I don't want my degree to decrease in value in 10 years when Nottingham is ranked 50th.

I honestly want to know how a university with three campuses and an income of over £500m (12/13) have let go of themselves like this.

I know league tables don't really offer an insight into the quality of the university, and different metrics would change the results greatly, but that's not reason to disregard them as Nottingham seem to be doing. Hopeful college students still use them to decide where to go and do they prove useful sometimes when comparing Universities.

What gives? And would Warwick/ Exeter be a safer bet? Considering how things are going.

P.S - I may sound like a pretentious ****, but I'm really just concerned and stressed out about this.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmpireofRome
I'm currently juggling offers between Exeter, Warwick and Nottingham. Deep down I want to go to Nottingham, but is there really any point? I've analysed University data from the late 90's to present day and Nottingham has slid year on year in general rankings, although their research (Irrelevant to me as an undergrad) and their global standing still remain strong. The value of your degree is intrinsically linked to your university name, there's no denying this, and I don't want my degree to decrease in value in 10 years when Nottingham is ranked 50th.

I honestly want to know how a university with three campuses and an income of over £500m (12/13) have let go of themselves like this.

I know league tables don't really offer an insight into the quality of the university, and different metrics would change the results greatly, but that's not reason to disregard them as Nottingham seem to be doing. Hopeful college students still use them to decide where to go and do they prove useful sometimes when comparing Universities.

What gives? And would Warwick/ Exeter be a safer bet? Considering how things are going.

P.S - I may sound like a pretentious ****, but I'm really just concerned and stressed out about this.

Course?
IMO, Warwick is the best ranked of the three.
Sorry forgot to mention, I'd be doing English. My concern isn't so much the course though, more the overall rep.
Sorry forgot to mention, I'd be doing English. My concern isn't so much the course though, more the overall rep.

It's still Warwick.
But, I would go by the course rep, then overall rep, because of career prospects in relevant fields.
Granted, this may not be as big a thing if you're doing English.
Reply 4

What has happened is that Nottingham, whilst doing really well in UK national league tables in the late 90s, decided to invest for the future by opening what is now the Jubilee Campus. This increased the total undergraduate student population gradually from 15,000 to 24,000. Such a big increase in a student population has lead to diluted ratios on many fronts, lower overall UCAS tariff points of students applying to the university, and above all, a steady drop in the rankings.

Nottingham also decided to divert funds towards the building of expensive campuses in Malaysia and China, again as part of their long-term investment plan for self-sustainable income. They felt that doing well in UK league tables was not by itself sufficient for success as a university on the Global stage, and as such they have marketed themselves as a Global university, and thus have placed more emphasis on REF 2014 and on the QS World rankings. For the last few years it seemed like they had little interest in the UK rankings.

But it isn't all doom and gloom for Nottingham. The heavy expansion of the university has lead it to become a £600 million a year institution, which is close to Imperial's £790 million income. They post a £25 million a year surplus, which has opened up the opportunity to invest a further £200 million on their campuses recently, and with a new £40 million sports village being built, on top of plans for more land to be bought to link up university Park with Jubilee campus, expect to see many more developments to come.

Nottingham ranks in at 77th in the QS World rankings, and 8th in REF 2014 by reserach power. They also are the second most popular university in terms of student applications, and for the number of top 100 graduate employers coming onto campus to meet students. They also have a Medical and Vet school, which always adds a bit of extra prestige to a university.

Other things in the pipeline include introducing small group teaching within the next 5 years, something which will lead to a further rise in the QS World rankings, and possibly in the UK rankings also. The university says they are aware that they currently are not attracting the best talent, and are working hard to address the situation.

Expect Nottingham to be the talk of TSR in the next 5 years. It still enjoys a fine name with employers and older graduates.

EDIT: There was a sharp drop in applications one year after Nottingham was labelled as the most dangerous city by the media. This lead to a fall in average UCAS points of entrants from 430 to 406 in just one year. The thing was though that a lot of this crime was on things like drugs, burglary and car theft, and not violent crime. A lot of this crime also went on in areas about 3-4 miles away from the university (St Annes and the Meadows in particular). So it was a silly knee jerk reaction from those students that were put off from applying to Nottingham several years ago.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
To cut a long story short, it was down to Nottingham's ambition to raise their annual income (currently double that of Durham's) that lead to unprecendented expansion, which in turn had to be paid for. This had lead to Nottingham languishing behind second rank universities like Lancaster and Surrey in the UK league tables. The thing is though, Nottingham owns more assets and raises more income than Lancaster and Surrey combined.
Go for Warwick. It's soaring up the league tables and is the best one by far by reputation. Only downside is the campus and city, Exeter is better for that.

World league tables are mostly based on research which has pretty much nothing to do with your undergrad career so don't focus too much on them (unless you're applying for postgrad). Nottingham is 171st on the THE world league tables so that alone should tell you that they're not very reliable. In the 3 national league tables + REF 2014, Nottingham is ranked mid-20ish so seems more consistent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Hogan_Novel
Go for Warwick. It's soaring up the league tables and is the best one by far by reputation. Only downside is the campus and city, Exeter is better for that.

World league tables are mostly based on research which has pretty much nothing to do with your undergrad career so don't focus too much on them (unless you're applying for postgrad).

I agree that Warwick edges Nottingham in most areas, but Warwick suffers for being in the middle of knowhere, and for having a bland campus with very ordinary buildings.

Exeter is comfortably behind Warwick and Nottingham for overall prestige, at least according to employers, Research Power and World rankings.

This is C_Richards99 isn't it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
You should never choose a university based on league tables alone. You have to go to the one which feels right for you in all aspects. Just look at all those whining about St Andrews and how incredibly boring and cold the place is?
Original post by Novelist
I agree that Warwick edges Nottingham in most areas, but Warwick suffers for being in the middle of knowhere, and for having a bland campus with very ordinary buildings.

Exeter is comfortably behind Warwick and Nottingham for overall prestige, at least according to employers, Research Power and World rankings.

This is CRichards99 isn't it?

I'm still in school so don't know much haha but the smartest people in the years above me chose Warwick over other unis like Nottingham so that's how I'm basing it. My uni counselor told me to look at unis in the Sutton 13 and Nottingham is in it so it's a good uni but I think Warwick edges it. I don't think that unis like Surrey are better than Nottingham just because it does better in the national league tables.

Who is CRichards?
Original post by Hogan_Novel
I'm still in school so don't know much haha but the smartest people in the years above me chose Warwick over other unis like Nottingham so that's how I'm basing it. My uni counselor told me to look at unis in the Sutton 13 and Nottingham is in it so it's a good uni but I think Warwick edges it. I don't think that unis like Surrey are better than Nottingham just because it does better in the national league tables.

Who is CRichards?

Warwick edges Nottingham, but the gap is small. At this moment in time I'd probably firm Warwick, and insure Nottingham. Exeter isn't quite in their class, sorry.
Warwick edges Nottingham, but the gap is small. At this moment in time I'd probably firm Warwick, and insure Nottingham. Exeter isn't quite in their class, sorry.

Ok cool.

I don't know why you are sorry though?

Hiya! I heard one of the reasons Nottingham used to be higher in the league tables is that it went through a phase of being a cool alternative for those at private school. This has also happened to Newcastle in the past apparently and is currently happening to Manchester. My advice is that you should go to Nottingham. I was in a similar position to you because I had offers from Durham and Edinburgh but preferred Manchester which is lower down the league tables. I chose Manchester which has actually ended up being better for my career anyway. But the point is that because I was much more comfortable than I would have been at the other universities, it gave me the space to try different things and to figure out what I want to do and how to get there. The careers service is also really good. Check out Nottingham's career service and see how it is reviewed. If you go there and manage to get your foot in the door of your chosen profession with the help of their careers service, you will be fine. Even if the careers service isn't amazing, a degree from there certainly won't hold you back. What professions are you looking to go into?
OP - notts,warwick and exeter wont give you any difference in terms of employment opportunities for an English degree.

Pick the one that has the course content that appeals to you most and and environment you will be happy studying and living in for 3 years. A first from Exeter will do you more favours than a 2:1 from Warwick - so figure out which best suits YOU and optimise your chances of being happy and motivated to get good grades.
...decided to invest for the future by opening what is now the Jubilee Campus. This increased the total undergraduate student population gradually from 15,000 to 24,000...

How is that necessarily good for the future? Which top university in the world has a big undergraduate body?

Nottingham also decided to divert funds towards the building of expensive campuses in Malaysia and China, again as part of their long-term investment plan for self-sustainable income.

But those funds would not have been used for research anyway, would they? Research income and administrative income don't tend to mix.

...have placed more emphasis on REF 2014 and on the QS World rankings.

I don't know if you meant this to be a reason for the above, but I can't see overseas campuses could help with either.

But it isn't all doom and gloom for Nottingham. The heavy expansion of the university has lead it to become a £600 million a year institution, which is close to Imperial's £790 million income.

The figures are all wrong.

In 2013, Imperial College London has a £822 million income, not 790. Presumably their income would've increased in 2014, not decreased. They have a 6.9% surplus, meaning they have a surplus of £57 million.

In 2013/4, Nottingham has a £571 million turnover. A £25 million surplus gives them a 4% surplus, which is OK but under normal targets (Oxford sets 5% as their target).

Nottingham ranks in at 77th in the QS World rankings, and 8th in REF 2014 by reserach power.

Weren't they Top 10 in the UK before all these? Is being No 8 supposedly an improvement? No 77 on QS, which makes it No 14 in the UK, behind Sheffield.

They seemed to have failed.

They also are the second most popular university in terms of student applications, and for the number of top 100 graduate employers coming onto campus to meet students.

UCAS seems to have stopped publishing data by institution now, but in 2012, they had 49441 applicants (up from 49282 from the year prior), which actually made them the university with the largest number of applications. But does this mean anything? The universities with the largest applications included places like Manchester Metropolitan University, whilst both Oxbridge received significantly fewer applications.

It's true about the Top 100 employers, but that has nothing to do with their actual employment rate or graduate salary.

They also have a Medical and Vet school, which always adds a bit of extra prestige to a university.

Were they new and a part of their decline on the league tables? I don't think so.

Expect Nottingham to be the talk of TSR in the next 5 years. It still enjoys a fine name with employers and older graduates.

Are you hired by Nottingham to be their promoter? It seems your entire post was just a promotional material from them. You made up figures and ignored other figures to present Nottingham to be much better than it is.

In reality, its surplus is nowhere near as impressive as you've made it seems, neither is its turnover. Its number of applications doesn't make it prestigious or good in any way, and in fact top universities would rather have a smaller undergraduate population. You said they focused on QS and RAE/REF, yet they fell on QS (72-75-77 in the last three years) and did not deviate from being Top 10 on the latter (they did rise significantly on this, but they were considered a Top 10 university a decade ago, so being No 8 is not a shockingly good result).
To cut a long story short, it was down to Nottingham's ambition to raise their annual income (currently double that of Durham's) that lead to unprecendented expansion, which in turn had to be paid for. This had lead to Nottingham languishing behind second rank universities like Lancaster and Surrey in the UK league tables. The thing is though, Nottingham owns more assets and raises more income than Lancaster and Surrey combined.

Long story short, Nottingham was/is money-hungry and so they do whatever it takes to get that extra penny, even when it sacrifices their entry standards, position on all tables, and overall reputation.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
How is that necessarily good for the future? Which top university in the world has a big undergraduate body?

But those funds would not have been used for research anyway, would they? Research income and administrative income don't tend to mix.

I don't know if you meant this to be a reason for the above, but I can't see overseas campuses could help with either.

The figures are all wrong.

In 2013, Imperial College London has a £822 million income, not 790. Presumably their income would've increased in 2014, not decreased. They have a 6.9% surplus, meaning they have a surplus of £57 million.

In 2013/4, Nottingham has a £571 million turnover. A £25 million surplus gives them a 4% surplus, which is OK but under normal targets (Oxford sets 5% as their target).

Weren't they Top 10 in the UK before all these? Is being No 8 supposedly an improvement? No 77 on QS, which makes it No 14 in the UK, behind Sheffield.

They seemed to have failed.

UCAS seems to have stopped publishing data by institution now, but in 2012, they had 49441 applicants (up from 49282 from the year prior), which actually made them the university with the largest number of applications. But does this mean anything? The universities with the largest applications included places like Manchester Metropolitan University, whilst both Oxbridge received significantly fewer applications.

It's true about the Top 100 employers, but that has nothing to do with their actual employment rate or graduate salary.

Were they new and a part of their decline on the league tables? I don't think so.

Are you hired by Nottingham to be their promoter? It seems your entire post was just a promotional material from them. You made up figures and ignored other figures to present Nottingham to be much better than it is.

In reality, its surplus is nowhere near as impressive as you've made it seems, neither is its turnover. Its number of applications doesn't make it prestigious or good in any way, and in fact top universities would rather have a smaller undergraduate population. You said they focused on QS and RAE/REF, yet they fell on QS (72-75-77 in the last three years) and did not deviate from being Top 10 on the latter (they did rise significantly on this, but they were considered a Top 10 university a decade ago, so being No 8 is not a shockingly good result).

1) That is a moot point. There is a funding crisis in higher education in the UK at present, and universities, however good or bad, need to adapt to these challenges. What number of students Nottingham has compared to, say Yale or MIT, has got nothing to do with it. Edinburgh has about the same student population as Nottingham, and is ranked 17th in the QS World rankings.

2) Increasing the student body generates more stable income, which can be used to fund the university in numerous ways, not just in research.

3) Overseas campuses were part of Nottingham's plan to generate more income in the long term, and to internationalise the university. Described by the Times as the nearest the UK has to a truly global university. It is a growing empire.

4) http://thetab.com/uk/london/2014/12/02/ucl-becomes-2nd-richest-uni-britain-overnight-ioe-merger-15574

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vni9keS3C1c ---> at 8.10 the Vice Chancellor says Nottingham is a £600 million business.

5) Nottingham has been in the top 80 of QS World rankings now for several years. That is above so called more prestigious universities like Durham and St Andrews (neither of which are at the level of Nottingham for research power or annual income even if they merged!).They are increasing the student/staff ratio according to their strategic plan over the next 5 years through small group teaching, something which will have a good impact on the university and on rankings.

6) Nottingham has long been a favourite of leading graduate employers, being a target uiversity for MC law firms and leading accountacy firms, and a semi-target for investment banks. Look at Linked-in, it is littered with Nottingham alumni who now work for investment banks and law firms.

7) Nottingham has been building something really big for the long term, and their £600 million business is to undergo major transformation over the next 5 years to deliver more quality and value locally, and to attract the best talent.

For added value, Sir David Greenway (Vice Chancellor) is to be appointed chair of the Russell Group from September, and the Chancellor of the university is also the CEO of GSK.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Because the league tables are unreliable
I think in part due to the fact that Nottingham is an awful city and student satisfaction i.e. nice pubs and clubs and a good city centre, is very important nowadays.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Long story short, Nottingham was/is money-hungry and so they do whatever it takes to get that extra penny, even when it sacrifices their entry standards, position on all tables, and overall reputation.

Maybe in the short term, but what would you have them do? Continue spending their way for the sake of superficial prestige through a high position in UK league tables and sleepwalk into bankruptcy? Don't be so deluded to think the likes of Durham, St Andrews, Surrey and other small universities will be able to spend their way to the top of UK league tables forever. Over the next 10 years they will have to plug the major gap on what is a funding crisis in higher education, or face financial ruin and a slump in the league tables. And once that slump happens (as it did for Durham in the 90s and early 00s), it is hard to correct.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending