The Student Room Group

So, what's the problem with UKIP?

It never fails to amaze, particularly from reading Guardian CiF and the Student Room, just how many people loathe UKIP and for no apparent reason - false conflations with a tyrannical madman who laid claim to the entire European continent and massacred 6 million Jewish people aren't just the norm, they are deemed credible.

1. Is it perceived racism?

If it is, I can point to hundreds of incidents of racism within the Labour Party, the Conservative Party and the Liberal Democrats.

Take the former, Diane Abbot has stated 'white people love to play divide and rule', Jack Dromey called a Royal Mail worker a 'pikey', there's a former head of a neo-Nazi movements operating as a Labour councillor up North and one Labour candidate sent his opponent 33 homophobic text messages after losing to him at the last election. In 2013, 8 Labour councillors in Harrow resigned under accusations of racism.
Even during the 60's and 70's, Labour was far more vitriolic with its rhetoric around immigration than the other parties.

Is it that UKIP is perceived to be more racist than other parties? Is it then the case, therefore, that a little bit of racism is socially acceptable, and more than a little is entirely unacceptable? Would that then extend to racism against a minority group is more palatable than racism against the majority, if the only issue at hand is numerics?

2. Is it mass immigration?

We'll ignore for the time being that the vast majority of immigrants are white, however this seems to be the most common cause for complaint amongst those who would convince us UKIP is the precise equivalent of Nazism.

What is it specifically about their policy on mass immigration which irks people? Why shouldn't we extend the points based system to all immigrants, rather than discriminating in favour of EU citizens? How is it racist to enforce a system utilised in many advanced democracies the world over?

Does it matter that every single minority group in the UK wants a reduction in mass immigration (source: migration watch)?

3. Is it the BBC?

Has it placed too much emphasis on UKIP's identity, ahead of their policies? I fail to see what within UKIP's manifesto can be construed of as 'far-right', particularly in consideration of their manifesto pledges around income tax brackets, hospital parking charges and the minimum wage, yet it's a term often used in reference to UKIP largely as a means through which, in my opinion, to tackle them based on identity, rather than policy.

Is it the association the BBC has constructed with the BNP? Does it matter that UKIP bans all former BNP members? Does it matter that Labour plays host to a number of former BNP members?

4. Is it free market economics?

Is their deference to the market place deemed by many to be immoral? Is it any less immoral to take money from hard working families and pass it to a centralised bureaucracy to decide upon how best to spend it on their behalf? Is it any less immoral to dehumanise an individual and only consider him or her as a 'category' of people?

Is it any less immoral foisting mass immigration on a populace under the smokescreen of 'diversity' and 'tolerance'?

Is it any less immoral exploiting 'tolerance' to make society at large conform with a narrow political agenda to advance mass corporatism and deflate working class wages (by advancing a massive over supply of labour) under the guise of 'tolerance'?

What is the problem?

Scroll to see replies

they're a bunch of uneducated reactionaries

they're also more right wing than the tories. who wants that mess? this aint america
Original post by melancholy

u mad broimage.png
Original post by Melancholy

**** me daddy
Original post by driftawaay

they're also more right wing than the tories. who wants that mess? this aint america

:unimpressed::facepalm:
Original post by theTRUTH1
shut up hungarian untermensch, you have no say over here

Haha see, this is what UKIP looks like.

I might not have a say now, but I will when I get my British passport in the near future. :h:

UKIP on the other hand will not be around for long
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by william walker
:unimpressed::facepalm:

You do realize that the consant grimace/angry emojis make you look like a 10 year old/violent thug, right?
shut up hungarian untermensch, you have no say over here

Using Nazi themed words towards Eastern Europeans is a prime reason to be voting for anyone but UKIP :K:

We just want your pussy, not your political opinions, ok?

Be a good Hungarian.

L M A O yes everyone in Hungary is of roma ethnic origin

see what I said about the uneducated ...
I'm simply not a fan of all this BREXIT talk, I fear that it could potentially lead to further implications in the long run

All of them? Some of them? 10 of them? The ones you hear about from the BBC?

Are they any 'less educated' than the Labour politicians cited above?
Reply 12

We just want your pussy, not your political opinions, ok?

Be a good Hungarian.

LoL you want Roma pussy? WTF? LoL :biggrin:
Original post by TheCitizenAct
All of them? Some of them? 10 of them? The ones you hear about from the BBC?

Are they any 'less educated' than the Labour politicians cited above?

Well, those actually seem more intelligent than the ones on here :h:

But no, I was talking about the average. I was generalizing. Some facts for you:

Demographically, UKIP voters attract men slightly more than women and the party draws its support disproportionately from older people with fewer qualifications. Whereas 46% of all voters are over 50, and 38% under 40, the figures for UKIP are 71% and 15% respectively. And just 13% of UKIP supporters have university degrees half the national average (though this partly reflects the age profile: older people generally were less likely to attend university when they were young).

UKIP voters are less likely than voters generally, and far less likely than Conservative voters, to be above-average earners. 23% of UKIP supporters live in households whose total income exceeds £40,000, compared with 38% of Tories and 28% of Labour voters.

source:
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/03/05/analysis-ukip-voters/
Original post by Leking9
I'm simply not a fan of all this BREXIT talk, I fear that it could potentially lead to further implications in the long run

Like? Actually being able to form bilateral trade agreements without having to go through the EU? Creating an immigration policy which doesn't discriminate in favour of 500 million Europeans to the exclusion of everyone else?

Anyone would think we were something other than the world's fifth largest economy. It's quite bizarre how many seem to believe political union to be a pre-requisite to forming trade agreements. Do we honestly believe the Germans are just going to fling up trade barriers to impede trade with one of their biggest markets for exports?

How is it Australia, New Zealand, Canada, The US, Norway, Switzerland all exist as major global powers - in the relative sense - while remaining outside of political unions?
Well, those actually seem more intelligent than the ones on here :h:

But no, I was talking about the average. I was generalizing. Some facts for you:

Demographically, UKIP voters attract men slightly more than women and the party draws its support disproportionately from older people with fewer qualifications. Whereas 46% of all voters are over 50, and 38% under 40, the figures for UKIP are 71% and 15% respectively. And just 13% of UKIP supporters have university degrees half the national average (though this partly reflects the age profile: older people generally were less likely to attend university when they were young).

UKIP voters are less likely than voters generally, and far less likely than Conservative voters, to be above-average earners. 23% of UKIP supporters live in households whose total income exceeds £40,000, compared with 38% of Tories and 28% of Labour voters.

source:
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/03/05/analysis-ukip-voters/

I've read the surveys, I'm familiar with the stereotypes.

What's the implication? People without an education or of a certain age aren't entitled to an opinion? What's next in the name of tolerance? Exams as a pre-requisite to voting? I could also highlight correlations in voting patterns between the BNP and Labour. http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/who+voted+bnp+and+why/3200557.html

If you are looking for a lack of education, I could just as ably highlight a million working class Labour supporters, all voting in accordance with tribal allegiance.
(edited 8 years ago)
They want to cut funding for my degree, reject my right to marry and most of its supporters are completely racist nut jobs. Oh, and they like to blame me for the rain... That's all.
I've read the surveys, I'm familiar with the stereotypes.

What's the implication? People without an education or of a certain age aren't entitled to an opinion? What's next in the name of tolerance? Exams as a pre-requisite to voting?

If you are looking for a lack of education, I could just as ably highlight a million working class Labour supporters, all voting in accordance with tribal allegiance.

Stereotypes. :colondollar: It's called demographics.

People without an education or of a certain age aren't entitled to an opinion?

Well, no, I wasn't aware certain people weren't entitled to an opinion, is the UK a dictatorship? :colondollar:

And your point is? :colondollar:
In all honest it just cannot be denied that a very large proportion of ukip supporters are uneducated racists that often live in white majority areas with little contact with any non whites. Immigrants are generally the perfect scapegoat for these people that are either part of the more conservative older generation and not used to change or the younger generation with little job prospects. The racial demographics show it all tbh. Ofcourse it would be very naive to brand ukip the party itself as racist but it would be more naive to deny it probably contains the most racist members compared with other parties.
Original post by Dylank96
They want to cut funding for my degree, reject my right to marry and most of its supporters are completely racist nut jobs. Oh, and they like to blame me for the rain... That's all.

1. Cut funding? Please be specific. Only recently UKIP proposed free tuition for all STEM students, and near-enough all students other than those on arts programmes. Labour merely wants to reduce fees to £6k.

2. The Labour Party is also divided over the issue of SSM http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9750451/Labour-split-over-gay-marriage-vote.html If there's any prejudice, it was shown by the Pride rally towards UKIP when they decided to ban UKIP supporters for no apparent reason other than 'they didn't mention identity politics in their manifesto - they don't bow to the politics of identity, or make me a special case in society.'

3. Most? Unfounded stereotype. I could just as easily take the racist ramblings of your average working class Labour voter, extrapolate, and declare 'most Labour supporters are racist nutjobs.'

4. They? No, one man blamed homosexuals for the rain. He was ejected from the party for being a nutjob, much in the same way the Labour Party harbours its fair share of nutjobs, as do all parties (they just don't receive anything like as much publicity).

Quick Reply

Latest