The Student Room Group

Why is skin lightning bad?

Presuming it is done NATURALLY....

Doesnt it hold the same purpose as makeup, to make people be more confident?

I don't get why people think skin lightning = self haters?

Discuss

FOR DA RECORD.
I have never did it but I wonder why people who do often feel ashamed?
Don't people do what they have to do to raise confidence?
To remove permanent tans or to brighten skin or to even out skin..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't fancy my skin being electrocuted anytime soon tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by Rory :)
I don't fancy my skin being electrocuted anytime soon tbh.

As I said, NATURAL lightning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by missfats

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's like 100 million volts. Are you sure you want natural and not man made?
I think it's down to history mostly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is there such a thing as artificial lightning? If so I'd like to know where to get it! I know a few people who I wouldn't mind getting struck by it. :rant:

Spoiler

Reply 6
I give up.

I just wanted srs answer.

Allow this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I give up.

Allow this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I gave a serious answer!
Reply 8
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I gave a serious answer!

Well you could have elaborated.

History is vast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
lightning is a character from final fantasy
because you will die
Presuming it is done NATURALLY....

Doesnt it hold the same purpose as makeup, to make people be more confident?

I don't get why people think skin lightning = self haters?

Discuss

FOR DA RECORD.
I have never did it but I wonder why people who do often feel ashamed?
Don't people do what they have to do to raise confidence?
To remove permanent tans or to brighten skin or to even out skin..

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I read your thread title I thought you were a callous individual and skin lightning was a euphemism for ethnic cleansing. :s-smilie:
I give up.

Allow this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you posted in Chat? Bad choice I'm afraid
Skin lightening is seen as bad because it shows a level of unhappiness about one's natural appearance to the extent that they wish to become more like that of another race. The big driver behind this is usually the media which portrays fairer skin tones to be more attractive. Everybody should be proud of what they're born with and shouldn't be belittled by the colour of their skin which often makes people want a fairer skin tone. This is why skin lightening is seen as bad.
I give up.

Allow this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

77% of Nigerians use whitening products.

It's not a case of confidence but more along the lines of lost identity.

I honestly think being black is a beautiful skin tone. It's the media that has a big influence on how we view ourselves aesthetically. And being of a lighter skin tone is seen as a sign of beauty.

But this is not true. We are just brainwashed to hate our own god given genetics based on a few insignificient individuals that dictate our lives.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think its bad. people have preferences. If they like lighter skin, its not bad. However, I'm more concerned with the mentality behind it. South Asians and Black people have this obsession with lighter skin thinking it that's all that matters. I mean, it more to do with racist mentality, if that makes sense.
Btw i am not black. I am olive with green eyes, but I am Just clearing the air on how the media portrays those of darker skin tones. And how it influences there mind set.
Original post by BrokenLife
I don't think its bad. people have preferences. If they like lighter skin, its not bad. However, I'm more concerned with the mentality behind it. South Asians and Black people have this obsession with lighter skin thinking it that's all that matters. I mean, it more to do with racist mentality, if that makes sense.

No, not racist mentality. No-one is born racist. But we are moulded to believe that white is beautiful. I blame the UK how can such a small island have such a profound impact on the world especially a continent diverse as Africa. This didn't happen over night. It's been engraved in our history that white should be worshipped.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Peel. Dem Crew
No, not racist mentality. No-one is born racist. But we are moulded to believe that white is beautiful. I blame the UK how can such a small island have such a profound impact on the world especially a continent has diverse as Africa. This didn't happen ovet night. It's been engraved in our history that white should be worshipped.

This is what I meant. However, I believe perhaps blame Africans and Asians too who have internalised and accepted this mindset of White worshipping.
Dont see a difference from tanning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest