The Student Room Group

Would you date a feminist?

A few years ago this wouldn't really have been an important question, as most women didn't subscribe to authoritarian ideology so it was pretty easy to avoid women who did.

However, more and more women are getting taken in by conspiracy theories surrounding patriarchy, rape culture, and "slut shaming" etc, and feminist women are becoming increasingly difficult to avoid.

Thankfully, I've been married for nearly five years now and my wife rightly refuses to subscribe to any of this nonsense. However, for those of you unfortunate enough to have to negotiate the current feminist-laced dating minefield, how do you do it? Do you find ways to avoid feminists in the first place? Do you ditch them quickly when you find out their beliefs? Or do you give in and subordinate yourself to their paranoid fantasies? Interested to hear how guys on here deal with it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never been an issue because I don't date British girls.
Original post by #Ridwan
A few years ago this wouldn't really have been an important question, as most women didn't subscribe to authoritarian ideology so it was pretty easy to avoid women who did.

However, more and more women are getting taken in by conspiracy theories surrounding patriarchy, rape culture, and "slut shaming" etc, and feminist women are becoming increasingly difficult to avoid.

Thankfully, I've been married for nearly five years now and my wife rightly refuses to subscribe to any of this nonsense. However, for those of you unfortunate enough to have to negotiate the current feminist-laced dating minefield, how do you do it? Do you find ways to avoid feminists in the first place? Do you ditch them quickly when you find out their beliefs? Or do you give in and subordinate yourself to their paranoid fantasies? Interested to hear how guys on here deal with it.

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Argh :rolleyes: Slut shaming does exists though.
Reply 4
Despite the large number of rabid feminists on here with some strange beliefs, women in RL seem much more normal so I've never had the misfortune of dealing with them in a dating situation.
It makes me sad that you don't understand the impact of those 'myths' which have on women who do and do not believe in them.. dating a person should be based on your connection, not on prejudice over their belief system.
Original post by Jebedee
Never been an issue because I don't date British girls.

Why not?
Original post by drowzee
Argh :rolleyes: Slut shaming does exists though.

Yeah, I don't consider myself a feminist, but I'm against slut shaming.

Op is clearly someone who needs to see the world in black and white terms- good traditional women, and man hating feminists. Really there are loads of types of feminists, some I'd date, some I wouldn't. As long as someone is open minded, you can usually get along.

She probably won't tell you anyway! You're thinking of the school girl who's latched on to the concept of feminism and rants and raves about how much of a feminist she is on social media, when really she doesn't have too much of an idea of the implications of what she's saying. That's not 'really' a feminist, the mature amongst them won't need to make these gestures and you might not even know she holds feminist beliefs. Imagine you might have already kissed one, you might have already slept with one. She might... Be your girlfriend. Shock bloody horror.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by #Ridwan

Yup I do.

Its great, it means she doesn't want kids either.
Reply 10
Original post by Rakas21
Despite the large number of rabid feminists on here with some strange beliefs, women in RL seem much more normal so I've never had the misfortune of dealing with them in a dating situation.

In my experience here the 'feminism threads' on here are exclusively posted by guys and the majority of posts on them are from guys.

Largely depends what you mean by a feminist though.
Original post by Quady
Yup I do.

Its great, it means she doesn't want kids either.

Why's that good? Do you not want to reproduce.

Original post by Quady
In my experience here the 'feminism threads' on here are exclusively posted by guys and the majority of posts on them are from guys.

Largely depends what you mean by a feminist though.

True. Most men believe in legal equality, I think it's when we get to equality of outcome and culling gender norms that there's a big divide.
Surely you are talking about extreme feminism? There are different levels from what I understand.
Yes I would date a feminist :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21
Why's that good? Do you not want to reproduce.

True. Most men believe in legal equality, I think it's when we get to equality of outcome and culling gender norms that there's a big divide.

No not really, I don't see the point in it. Just going to constrain my life and cost a lot.

Exactly, and I fine on here ladies on here believe in the former and a small number of vocal thread starters assert that they believe the latter. This thread is a decent example. The OP hasn't defined what they mean by feminism. My girlfriend wouldn't have been allowed to go to her university 100 years ago but can now, she believes thats better and I agree.
Don't see why you wouldn't, feminism is just wanting equality for everyone. Don't see why dating someone with those beliefs is something that would be negative.

Unless you're addressing extreme feminism which is actually usually portrayed by anti feminists who use extreme ideas such as free bleeding and suing a man for saving your life (all which a normal feminist would never subscribe to) to try and make feminism look like a negative thing.

Honestly feminism is just wanting equality for everyone, but people get mostly butthurt because it has 'fem' in it.
Reply 16
Original post by starlight82
Surely you are talking about extreme feminism? There are different levels from what I understand.

What you call extreme is actually the mainstream of feminism, which is no surprise since their agenda is a self serving one and they have an entire male mentality. It's also no surprise most feminists are unfeminine, unclassy and obnoxious.
Reply 17
I would not date one, I would have one night stands or as a sex buddy if she's hot but that's it.
A normal feminist, yes. I prefer them. By a normal feminist I mean someone who believes in equality whilst understanding that men and women are biologically different things and will never, ever be identically represented across all situations in all ways. Someone who puts some eggs in the social basket, whilst also respecting the science basket. What I'd call a 'normal' modern person really, who probably doesn't bring up feminism that much, if at all, and just lives by particular standards, which in the UK isn't difficult, because we have almost total equality already. Has self-respect and is mentally and financially independent.

A radical feminist, or one who misuses feminism to blame men for all problems and tries to make things easier for women than for men, or who thinks a couple of years of social thinking can undo millions of years of evolution, no.
Reply 19
Original post by slade p
What you call extreme is actually the mainstream of feminism, which is no surprise since their agenda is a self serving one and they have an entire male mentality. It's also no surprise most feminists are unfeminine, unclassy and obnoxious.

Really?

Has your mum voted? I gu8ess she happens to be the exception...

Quick Reply

Latest