The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

BSC Mathematics & Statistics

Hi, is anyone doing this degree or has done it previously?

Starting it in October, haven't studied Maths since GCSE's! Looking forward to it though :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there!

I'm studying Mathematics (we have the same Level 1 modules), but I'm about to start my second year. :smile: So far it's been great; the material is very clear, the assessments and exams fair, and the tutors very helpful! If you have any specific questions that I can help you with, I'd be happy to answer them!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thank you! I'm a little nervous because I haven't studied Maths since GCSE's about 8+ years ago! I'm going to work my way through the Mathematics section on Khan Academy and maybe buy an A Level textbook after. I've heard there's a book called Engineering Mathematics by K A Stroud which is meant to be like the Bible of Mathematics books which I might buy. Is there any other books or websites you could recommend? Thanks again!
Let's see... Will you be going for the Gentle or Standard Start?

The only difference between the two is the MU123 module, which helps people who haven't studied maths in a long time (or to a high level) recap the basics. MU123 is entirely GCSE-level, so if you'll be starting with that, I'd say don't stress it, just enjoy the rest of your summer, maybe go through a few Khan Academy maths topics just to feel more comfortable with numbers... and you'll be good to go in October! :smile: Also, I've always liked the CGP workbooks. They have GCSE and A-Level. I've never heard of Engineering Mathematics, but that sounds pretty awesome - I'll be looking into acquiring that myself!

If you plan to start with MST124 (the Standard Start), then you'll want to make sure your knowledge of GCSE maths is solid, and you can get ahead by getting acquainted with A-Level maths beforehand, because MST124 is mainly the same material as A-Level Maths.

MST125 is more like A-Level Further Maths (or 1st year uni).

As for M140 (Introducing Statistics), that module starts with the very basics (rounding numbers, stem plots, probability, etc), and then progresses quite quickly onto more complex stats later on. If you can make sure you're familiar with all the basic concepts in stats, you'll be good. Khan Academy can probably help you with that, too. And if you feel like you're ready for something more advanced, I would suggest finding an A-Level S1 (Statistics 1) unit textbook and working your way through that.

Sorry, haha, I don't know how many modules you'll be taking at first, but I just thought I'd outline how I would suggest you prepare for all of the Level 1 modules! Hope this helps!!
Reply 4
Thanks that was really helpful! I'm doing the standard start with MST124 and M140 in October and MST125 and another 30 credit module DB123 on personal finance in April. So I think I will get a couple of CGP Workbooks for GCSE and A Level Maths and an S1 Statistics book. I'll keep working through Khan Academy too and hopefully in 2 months have a good foundation to build upon!

Thanks again for taking the time to write all that! Feel more at ease now! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by 1158
Thanks that was really helpful! I'm doing the standard start with MST124 and M140 in October and MST125 and another 30 credit module DB123 on personal finance in April. So I think I will get a couple of CGP Workbooks for GCSE and A Level Maths and an S1 Statistics book. I'll keep working through Khan Academy too and hopefully in 2 months have a good foundation to build upon!

Thanks again for taking the time to write all that! Feel more at ease now! :smile:

PDF copies of the first couple of books for each of the level 1 Maths modules are available here: http://learn1.open.ac.uk/mod/subpage/view.php?id=4480
I worked through the first MST124 one and it was excellent, with plenty of examples to work through and clear explanations. On top of that, it gives you a bit of a head-start on your degree to work through some of these.

I'm going to be starting Computing & IT and Mathematics in October, full time, with TU100 - My Digital Life, MST124 - Essential Maths 1, and MST125 - Essential Maths 2. Good luck with your degree - it's one I was considering heavily myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh that's cool, just checked it out, looks good! It's the terminology that confuses me, I think once I have my head round that it will become a bit clearer. Best of luck with your degree too.
Reply 7
Hey,

I'm doing the full time Maths & Stats course starting Oct. Going to begin to brush up on my A-level Maths soon as I was originally going to opt to do the gentle start but that does not allow me to complete it in 3 years which is my aim.
Reply 8
Yeah I chose the gentle start and realised it would take 4 years rather than 3 so opted for standard instead. Using Khan Academy as a refresher and got a few books mentioned above on order to get me back up to speed.
Reply 9
Original post by 1158
Yeah I chose the gentle start and realised it would take 4 years rather than 3 so opted for standard instead. Using Khan Academy as a refresher and got a few books mentioned above on order to get me back up to speed.

Try PatrickJMT. His examples are fantastic from pre calc stuff and through to include all what we will cover in the first year.
Reply 10
Thanks will take a look at that, by the way are you paying by a tuition fee loan? The max it would let me type in was £2700 a year on the SFE website when it actually costs £5400. Did you get this problem too? I will have to message them next week and see what's up, but from what I've heard they change it to £5400 and you don't have to worry about it but I'm going to check anyway!
Reply 11
Original post by 1158
Thanks will take a look at that, by the way are you paying by a tuition fee loan? The max it would let me type in was £2700 a year on the SFE website when it actually costs £5400. Did you get this problem too? I will have to message them next week and see what's up, but from what I've heard they change it to £5400 and you don't have to worry about it but I'm going to check anyway!

Yes I had the same issue. It's nothing to worry about. I would just give the student finance people a call after you have got to the end of the application. I think it's because it's recognised as a part time loan or something along those lines. It has been a while since I had the conversation with the SF team, so I have forgotten what was said, but it was very easily resolved :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by UV Ceti
Yes I had the same issue. It's nothing to worry about. I would just give the student finance people a call after you have got to the end of the application. I think it's because it's recognised as a part time loan or something along those lines. It has been a while since I had the conversation with the SF team, so I have forgotten what was said, but it was very easily resolved :smile:

Ah that's good then! I will give them a ring on Monday.
Reply 13
Hi everyone! I need some advice. I loved maths at school, and got an A* at A level - but I loved lots of other subjects too, and ended up doing modern languages at university (where I am currently). I'm really enjoying myself, but I've always missed the maths/science I did... and now I'm actually thinking of doing something about it and completely changing career direction once I've finished my degree (as terrifying as that sounds). Does anyone have any experience of making this sort of change via the Open University? If anyone's already on this course, what's it like to do distance learning, and how much is the time commitment for full/part time study on this course? Thanks :smile:
Reply 14
I'm doing BSc (honours) in Mathematics and its learning in October part time as I have just had a baby and work part time as well :smile: made me sad to see all my friends going off to or already being at university so needed something to progress in my life too lol I'm starting on the mst124 too can't wait tbh
Reply 15
I'm sure you can choose what ever you like be it full or part time so long as you do it within the time limit which I know for my course is 16 years hahaha
Original post by Ella...
Hi everyone! I need some advice. I loved maths at school, and got an A* at A level - but I loved lots of other subjects too, and ended up doing modern languages at university (where I am currently). I'm really enjoying myself, but I've always missed the maths/science I did... and now I'm actually thinking of doing something about it and completely changing career direction once I've finished my degree (as terrifying as that sounds). Does anyone have any experience of making this sort of change via the Open University? If anyone's already on this course, what's it like to do distance learning, and how much is the time commitment for full/part time study on this course? Thanks :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by aasia
I'm doing BSc (honours) in Mathematics and its learning in October part time as I have just had a baby and work part time as well :smile: made me sad to see all my friends going off to or already being at university so needed something to progress in my life too lol I'm starting on the mst124 too can't wait tbh

Hi, good luck! I'm looking forward to it too albeit really worried about the workload!
Reply 17
Original post by 1158
Hi, good luck! I'm looking forward to it too albeit really worried about the workload!

Me too but I can't wait till the 8th when the website opens I just wanna get started now lol I'm so bored at home ATM the moment yeah the workload is going to be hard I have an 8week old as well so I'm really going to have to work around my part time job and her but lord am I happy to be studying again :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by 1158

I have already sampled what the first year of a maths related degree is like (I pulled out at the end of the first year as I just was not committed to it) and know you have to be really strict with yourself. The topics covered rattle along at quite a pace. I couldn't follow the lecturers as I didn't have their expected level of pre-calculus knowledge at my disposal and was completely overwhelmed and lost all motivation. That shouldn't be the case with the open uni as it's more down to us and I think I will benefit from that. I learnt too late in my year at a brick uni that there was so much material available on the net and there are text books more suited to your own learning style. Some lecturers, I could tell, were completely disinterested in the teaching side of things and just wanted us to get on with it.

It is vital that you go through most if not all the questions provided for each topic. Don't take it for granted that you know a topic. There are some nasty exam questions that involve many steps to complete that may not be immediately obvious. Doing many questions will lessen the chance of you being caught out.

I remember laughing to myself over how the uni expected me to do 30 odd hours independent study, but I can see why now.
Reply 19
Original post by UV Ceti
I have already sampled what the first year of a maths related degree is like (I pulled out at the end of the first year as I just was not committed to it) and know you have to be really strict with yourself. The topics covered rattle along at quite a pace. I couldn't follow the lecturers as I didn't have their expected level of pre-calculus knowledge at my disposal and was completely overwhelmed and lost all motivation. That shouldn't be the case with the open uni as it's more down to us and I think I will benefit from that. I learnt too late in my year at a brick uni that there was so much material available on the net and there are text books more suited to your own learning style. Some lecturers, I could tell, were completely disinterested in the teaching side of things and just wanted us to get on with it.

It is vital that you go through most if not all the questions provided for each topic. Don't take it for granted that you know a topic. There are some nasty exam questions that involve many steps to complete that may not be immediately obvious. Doing many questions will lessen the chance of you being caught out.

I remember laughing to myself over how the uni expected me to do 30 odd hours independent study, but I can see why now.

Yeah it's finding the time to do it I'm concerned about, I work 40-50 hours a week at the moment, I just hope evenings and weekends will give me enough time to do the work and even then I'm going to have to be so disciplined. Feel like I'm already a mile behind and setting myself up to fail. I know what you mean about being overwhelmed and losing motivation though, similar thing happened to me at college, I think that is what's worrying me, a repeat of that again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending