The Student Room Group

A level options help

So far I have decided to take Economics, Biology and Chemistry. For uni I want to do either Accounting/ Economics course or Pharmacy. I have no idea what to take for my 4th option (not maths)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PrincessAisha*
So far I have decided to take Economics, Biology and Chemistry. For uni I want to do either Accounting/ Economics course or Pharmacy. I have no idea what to take for my 4th option (not maths)

Why not Maths? Seems a logical option with those Uni courses in mind, and would certainly be helpful.
I think most Unis do specifically asks for Maths if you want to do Economics, but I may be wrong there - just going off what I've been told :redface:

What other options would you consider taking?
(Which subjects do you love?/Which subjects do you enjoy studying? Etc.)

EDIT: I'll add in here that I take Bio, Chem & Maths, so if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them :h: They really are a lovely combination :yep:
(edited 8 years ago)
Maths would finish the list nicely, it's almost a must if you want to get into a red brick university for economics. It would also compliment Biology and Chemistry very well, and will make the maths in Bio/ Chem seem really easy!

I wouldn't do econ if you don't like maths enough to do it at A level.

More than that it's about what you enjoy, that's where you'lol succeed.

Maths would be a perfect 4th option for this combination...don't the courses you want to do require Maths anyway? And my old college wouldn't even let me take Chem at A-Level without Maths?
Aside from that, maybe Psychology - I know it goes well with Biology because the Research Method section in each is very similar.
Good Luck! :smile:

As everyone is saying Maths would be the obvious option for both courses really and Economics and Chemistry will be harder without it. If you really don't want to do that maybe Physics or Psychology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Maths if you want to do econ (which you do)
Original post by Neuth
Why not Maths? Seems a logical option with those Uni courses in mind, and would certainly be helpful.
I think most Unis do specifically asks for Maths if you want to do Economics, but I may be wrong there - just going off what I've been told :redface:

What other options would you consider taking?
(Which subjects do you love?/Which subjects do you enjoy studying? Etc.)

EDIT: I'll add in here that I take Bio, Chem & Maths, so if you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them :h: They really are a lovely combination :yep:

I dont think i will be able to cope with Maths, so what else would you say?
Reply 7
I dont think i will be able to cope with Maths, so what else would you say?

Answer the questions I asked (in the message you quoted) - it'll help you think about it. I can't possibly guess without knowing your interests a little bit.

If you can't cope with maths, you may want to consider why that is - the subjects you want to study at uni heavily involve it, and it'd certainly help you at A-Level, as your subjects involve it :yep:

What do you think you've got at GCSE?
Business, it's really easy or psychology again quite easy but there's more work for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neuth
Answer the questions I asked (in the message you quoted) - it'll help you think about it. I can't possibly guess without knowing your interests a little bit.

If you can't cope with maths, you may want to consider why that is - the subjects you want to study at uni heavily involve it, and it'd certainly help you at A-Level, as your subjects involve it :yep:

What do you think you've got at GCSE?

I think I got a B in my GCSE Maths, I think I would enjoy taking Business but idk if its good with Economics. Ive seen some work from A Level Maths and I dont think I can do just pure Maths and I know it would be good for what I have chosen so far
Original post by emiloujess
Maths would be a perfect 4th option for this combination...don't the courses you want to do require Maths anyway? And my old college wouldn't even let me take Chem at A-Level without Maths?
Aside from that, maybe Psychology - I know it goes well with Biology because the Research Method section in each is very similar.
Good Luck! :smile:

What else would be good instead of Maths, yh my school says I need to take maths or one of the the other two sciences to take one science, Ive seen some unis and they dont seem to require Maths at A Level
What else would be good instead of Maths, yh my school says I need to take maths or one of the the other two sciences to take one science, Ive seen some unis and they dont seem to require Maths at A Level

Psychology :biggrin:
Original post by emiloujess
Psychology :biggrin:

Anything else? Ive heard its really hard
Your first 3 options are good for the courses you want to go for. If you o for Accounting/Economic in the future, you do know it's eavy maths? I mean, if you want to go to the top universities like LSE, they require maths.

Hmm... if you want an 'easier' subject, maybe Sociology? I've really enjoyed doing it :smile:
Original post by ps1265A
Your first 3 options are good for the courses you want to go for. If you o for Accounting/Economic in the future, you do know it's eavy maths? I mean, if you want to go to the top universities like LSE, they require maths.

But I do know I'm not going to cope with it:frown:, if I do take it I would have to drop it after AS anyways and there is no point then

It's not hard, just lots to remember
But I do know I'm not going to cope with it:frown:, if I do take it I would have to drop it after AS anyways and there is no point then

Honestly, accounting shouldn't be a future career plan if you're not comfortable with maths. My friend who's got into accounting said he has to do 12 accounting exams all statistics related throughout the 4 years at uni!

Just my opinion, and it's good you've realised your strengths and weaknesses!
Original post by ps1265A
Honestly, accounting shouldn't be a future career plan if you're not comfortable with maths. My friend who's got into accounting said he has to do 12 accounting exams all statistics related throughout the 4 years at uni!

Just my opinion, and it's good you've realised your strengths and weaknesses!

But the university's I've looked at and I might consider going to, don't require A Level Maths anyways
But the university's I've looked at and I might consider going to, don't require A Level Maths anyways

Oh, then there's no problems at all!

I highly recommend psychology considering you're studying biology too! They both requires similar skills!

Quick Reply

Latest