The Student Room Group

Will I receive funding for a further year of study?

Hi Student Finance

Having completed a foundation year to get on to my engineering course, I've now been invited to transfer to the MEng degree programme starting September 2016. I want to accept this offer but won't be able to afford it if I don't receive financial support for a further year. I've heard a little about a 'gift year' that all students receive should things go badly and they have to retake a whole year, but was this used up for my foundation year or could that cover my Master's?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Hi,

If you've only had one year of previous study then, rest assured, you'll get full funding. The previous year will be cancelled out by your gift year.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Hi Mark

I've only had one year of study covered by Student Finance before my 3 year course began, however the course I'm hoping to transfer to will add an extra year of undergraduate study on top of that, putting the total at 5 years.

If this won't be covered by SFE, could you suggest ways to get financial support given that I will not be working in the UK or EU after completing my course?

Many thanks,

Rob
Hi Rob,

Don't worry, you'll get full funding for the entire course. How it works is we look at the duration of the new course (4 years) then add a gift year, giving you five years funding in total. We then take away the year you've already had leaving you with four remaining years.

Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending