The Student Room Group

Does your predicted grade have to match entry requirement?

If youre predicted AAB for ex, and the uni says AAA, will they just reject you? Or will they give u an offer? this is for engineering at manchester so not so competitive.
That's entirely at the universities own discretion and depending on how your peers performed/ if they have room for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Which specialty is this?

I think the BEng at Manchester normally has a lower offer than the MEng they have (which was AAA for the MEng in aerospace when I applied, but AAB for the BEng).

But you can still transfer across when doing your degree.

It's no guarantee either way though...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Puzzled_Logician
Which specialty is this?

I think the BEng at Manchester normally has a lower offer than the MEng they have (which was AAA for the MEng in aerospace when I applied, but AAB for the BEng).

But you can still transfer across when doing your degree.

It's no guarantee either way though...

Chemical

Went on the website today and it said AAA for BENG AND MENG. Its ridiculous
Original post by SCAR H
Chemical

Went on the website today and it said AAA for BENG AND MENG. Its ridiculous

I think Manchester have a very good reputation for chemical engineering though, so that may not help.

It would still be worth a shot though; what would you lose if rejected? One place on your UCAS form, but there are plenty of others around.

And with a good PS and reference to back it up, you'd still be in with a good chance I'd have thought...
I imagine it is a competitive course - but I know a few people in my year applied last year with AS grades way under what they were predicted to get just so they would look good for the university. Surprisingly their were people getting offers from very good russel groups unis however I feel it was because the course was less competitive?

I would go for it, its one choice and you may over achieve in a year to come. Many aspects to an application!
Reply 6
I think Manchester have a very good reputation for chemical engineering though, so that may not help.

It would still be worth a shot though; what would you lose if rejected? One place on your UCAS form, but there are plenty of others around.

And with a good PS and reference to back it up, you'd still be in with a good chance I'd have thought...

Sorry i mean Petroleum. So the same apply with rhis course?
Engineering at an RG Uni like Manchester will always be competitive. It's possible they might make what is called 'an aspirational offer' to someone just below the required A level grades but with a strong PS. Its equally possible they may reject you without even reading it. If they do make you an offer it will be for the required grades - and thats what you will have to get come next August. If this isn't realistic then don't choose Manchester.

This is why you should have only one risky choice like this and you should make the other 4 choices in line with your predictions.

Lots of advice here on 'How to avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SCAR H
Sorry i mean Petroleum. So the same apply with rhis course?

If you like it, and would rather go there than why not?

It might also help with motivation in terms of work for A levels?

Ultimately it's up to you, but you might regret it if you don't apply...
Reply 9
If you like it, and would rather go there than why not?

It might also help with motivation in terms of work for A levels?

Ultimately it's up to you, but you might regret it if you don't apply...

Original post by returnmigrant
Engineering at an RG Uni like Manchester will always be competitive. It's possible they might make what is called 'an aspirational offer' to someone just below the required A level grades but with a strong PS. Its equally possible they may reject you without even reading it. If they do make you an offer it will be for the required grades - and thats what you will have to get come next August. If this isn't realistic then don't choose Manchester.

This is why you should have only one risky choice like this and you should make the other 4 choices in line with your predictions.

Lots of advice here on 'How to avoid 5 Rejections' : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/How_to_Avoid_Getting_5_Rejections

Original post by Artfanatic
I imagine it is a competitive course - but I know a few people in my year applied last year with AS grades way under what they were predicted to get just so they would look good for the university. Surprisingly their were people getting offers from very good russel groups unis however I feel it was because the course was less competitive?

I would go for it, its one choice and you may over achieve in a year to come. Many aspects to an application!

I heard u can send your app to Uni directly not via UCAS. How does this work? So for example, i apply for Computer science via ucas using 5 offers. And send my app directly to Manch for Engineering. Can this work pls helppppo
Original post by SCAR H
I heard u can send your app to Uni directly not via UCAS. How does this work? So for example, i apply for Computer science via ucas using 5 offers. And send my app directly to Manch for Engineering. Can this work pls helppppo

No... I have never heard of this except in the time when UCSA didn't exist and everything was done by post. Just no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
International applicants can use what is called Common Application (based in the US) if they are not also applying through UCAS : https://www.commonapp.org/

This is really only for those International applicants based in the US or from where there is a a US focussed education system : http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/international/yourcountry/usa/News/US-Common-App.aspx
What ever anyone says 100% do it! I've talked to loads of RG Uni's at opendays (The admisson staff) and the majoirty if not all have said they'll still give conditional offers to people with 20-40 points lower as obviously your school may have predicted poor grades in comparison to your ability! Of course still be realistic but if you are two-three grades below still apply and you'll get a conditional. I'm only talking about majority of RG though and ofc all the elities like LSE ect will have different policy's.
Original post by alexp98
policy's.

This does not require a possessive apostrophe.

You might not think it matters.
The University you are going to will.
Original post by returnmigrant
This does not require a possessive apostrophe.

You might not think it matters.
The University you are going to will.

My mistake, I should know better considering I take English Lit...
(edited 8 years ago)
I took the risk and applied for law where my predicted was AB and their requirements were AA (I did a third year so I already had 2 full a levels when I applied) and they just gave me an offer of AA, which I put as my firm as it made me work harder. I guess I'll see if my gamble paid off on results day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, I also know people who received interviews from Oxford with the likes of AABD and ABBC. More evidence that your predicted grade doesn't need to be the same as entry requirement!

Quick Reply

Latest