The Student Room Group

Rejected for access to HE?

So I got a letter for rejection today, because I didn't meet the "entry requirements", which was gcse English and maths. I've got a B in maths but haven't done English.
Fair enough I don't meet their requirements, but I thought the whole point of access is for people that haven't got proper qualifications?
On top of maths, I've also got an A in biology, B in physics, and a D in law. It's not as if I failed English, I'm confident I can pass it, but didn't have the opportunity to do it due to personal circumstances.
They've offered me a 2 year access course, with the first year being gcses, then access the following year. At my age, is it really worth my time wasting another year for one gcse, when I could easily run it along side an access course?
Just dunno what to do, didn't think you could actually be rejected for a course designed for mature students with no formal qualifications. Feeling like choosing education is a waste of time now.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you not contact them and explain the reasoning behind you not having English and say you will do it along side the course?
Original post by sawyer12
So I got a letter for rejection today, because I didn't meet the "entry requirements", which was gcse English and maths. I've got a B in maths but haven't done English.
Fair enough I don't meet their requirements, but I thought the whole point of access is for people that haven't got proper qualifications?
On top of maths, I've also got an A in biology, B in physics, and a D in law. It's not as if I failed English, I'm confident I can pass it, but didn't have the opportunity to do it due to personal circumstances.
They've offered me a 2 year access course, with the first year being gcses, then access the following year. At my age, is it really worth my time wasting another year for one gcse, when I could easily run it along side an access course?
Just dunno what to do, didn't think you could actually be rejected for a course designed for mature students with no formal qualifications. Feeling like choosing education is a waste of time now.

It is best to speak to them personally explaining why u could not re-sit GCSE English
It has happened as my college I attended rejected a majority of students due to not having maths or English or both
Its not a waste of time at the end of the by Law most companies do want to employ people with qualifications in maths and English it is worth the time to study alongside the access course...there's people I know who even done night classes to gain their GCSE's alongside a full time course during the week
it is ur decision don't take it in a rush

all the best
You need the GCSE because universities demand it. There's no point in you doing an Access course if you are going to get automatic rejections from every university you apply to. If you can find a college that will allow you to do both at the same time, that would be ideal. I wouldn't bother doing a whole year of pre-access though, for the sake of 1 GCSE. You would be better off working and studying for the English GCSE in the evenings (either at college or studying at home). Don't let this one setback derail your plans.
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies.I was under the impression universities didn't consider GCSE results when applying via the access to HE route?
Reply 5

You should be happy for being rejected. Access courses are hell and ****ing ****.

Do a BTEC or get into a foundation year RIGHT NOW through clearing.
Reply 6
Original post by O.Ozz
You should be happy for being rejected. Access courses are hell and ****ing ****.

Do a BTEC or get into a foundation year RIGHT NOW through clearing.

BTECs require 5 GCSEs, and the closest one is sheffield (70 odd miles away?)
Reply 7
BTECs require 5 GCSEs, and the closest one is sheffield (70 odd miles away?)

What about foundation year? I failed my access course and i will fight to the end to get onto a foundation year this year.

BTEC's actually require 4 GCSE's but some colleges may allow a mature student with no qualifications to get into a BTEC level 3
Reply 8
Thanks for your replies.I was under the impression universities didn't consider GCSE results when applying via the access to HE route?

They certainly do. The majority of universities will ask for C grades in both English and Maths at GCSE level. It really depends on what you plan on studying and where you plan on studying. For example, two of my uni choices want B grades in both Maths and English while the other three want C's in both.

You can find GCSE requirements on UCAS!
Reply 9
Typical Entry RequirementsThe typical minimum entry requirements for a degree that includes a Foundation Year are 180-200 UCAS tariff points.The points must come from full A levels (not AS) or equivalent qualifications, for example BTEC Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma, CACHE Level 3 Diploma. Other vocational qualifications at Level 3 will also be considered, such as NVQs. If you have other qualifications that are not included in the UCAS tariff we are happy to consider the suitability of these qualifications.You will also need to have at least a grade D or above (or an acceptable alternative) in GCSE English language. Many linked degrees also require a grade D or above in GCSE mathematics.
Reply 10
Original post by Kaeden
They certainly do. The majority of universities will ask for C grades in both English and Maths at GCSE level. It really depends on what you plan on studying and where you plan on studying. For example, two of my uni choices want B grades in both Maths and English while the other three want C's in both.

You can find GCSE requirements on UCAS!

So when I'm looking at courses, I take every 'entry requirement' into consideration?
The "Access to HE Diploma" is under a different section in the entry requirements, so i assumed you disregard the other requirements such as UCAS points, A levels, GCSES, BTECs etc..
So for someone with absolutely no GCSEs doing an access course, they'd need to also achieve 5 GCSEs at A-C grades as well as the access course? Seems a bit counter productive to me.
Reply 11
So when I'm looking at courses, I take every 'entry requirement' into consideration?
The "Access to HE Diploma" is under a different section in the entry requirements, so i assumed you disregard the other requirements such as UCAS points, A levels, GCSES, BTECs etc..
So for someone with absolutely no GCSEs doing an access course, they'd need to also achieve 5 GCSEs at A-C grades as well as the access course? Seems a bit counter productive to me.

No, GCSE's are definitely a requirement and this is why many colleges ask for potential Access students to have achieved A-C grades in English and Maths before they start their Access course.

I guess they think that the workload of Access and two GCSE's in one year may be too much for some people.

Edit: I'd say the majority of universities do not ask people on Access courses to have 5 GCSE's at A-C. They just want English and Maths.... but again, this depends on what you are planning on studying at university level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Kaeden
No, GCSE's are definitely a requirement and this is why many colleges ask for potential Access students to have achieved A-C grades in English and Maths before they start their Access course.

I guess they think that the workload of Access and two GCSE's in one year may be too much for some people.

Edit: I'd say the majority of universities do not ask people on Access courses to have 5 GCSE's at A-C. They just want English and Maths.... but again, this depends on what you are planning on studying at university level.

Well the course I'm interested in says:
Specific GCSE requirementsGCSE grade C English (or acceptable alternatives eg Functional Skills). GCSE grade C Mathematics and GCSE grade B in Chemistry or Dual Award Science.

But needing English GCSE to even get on an access course seems like going a year backwards.
Reply 13
Typical Entry RequirementsThe typical minimum entry requirements for a degree that includes a Foundation Year are 180-200 UCAS tariff points.The points must come from full A levels (not AS) or equivalent qualifications, for example BTEC Level 3 Diploma/Extended Diploma, CACHE Level 3 Diploma. Other vocational qualifications at Level 3 will also be considered, such as NVQs. If you have other qualifications that are not included in the UCAS tariff we are happy to consider the suitability of these qualifications.You will also need to have at least a grade D or above (or an acceptable alternative) in GCSE English language. Many linked degrees also require a grade D or above in GCSE mathematics.

This is bull****.

for example the university of northampton asks its foundation year entry requirements as

The Foundation Year could be an option for a student who may not meet the tariff points required for admission into their preferred three year programme. or those who are making a significant change in terms of the subject they would like to study. Admission to this programme is normally based upon 120-140 tariff points gained from A levels or BTEC programmes of study. However, we would also like to hear from you if you have one of the following:

​​professional or industry experience

a range of other qualifications self-developed subject knowledge that relates to the programme you wish to study

Alternatively i feel that the University of Salford may be better for foundation years as they have an alternative entry scheme for people with no qualifications

The Salford Alternative Entry Scheme (SAES) is specifically designed for people who would welcome the chance to study for an undergraduate degree (and all the opportunities associated with it) but who have not gained the traditional entry qualifications.

People can even go to uni with nothing. just try your best, have faith and you maybe in uni this september.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Well the course I'm interested in says:
Specific GCSE requirementsGCSE grade C English (or acceptable alternatives eg Functional Skills). GCSE grade C Mathematics and GCSE grade B in Chemistry or Dual Award Science.

But needing English GCSE to even get on an access course seems like going a year backwards.

They do this so that you will be able to get into your uni of choice. I had to do level 2 maths and english along side my access course because my uni required 5 GCSE's as well as my access credits (my uni would accept level 2 as an GCSE level alternative, some won't)

You need to decide which uni you want to go to and ring the admissions office and see if they will accept you without GCSE's the information on the website is not always correct.
Reply 15
Original post by lilly80
They do this so that you will be able to get into your uni of choice. I had to do level 2 maths and english along side my access course because my uni required 5 GCSE's as well as my access credits (my uni would accept level 2 as an GCSE level alternative, some won't)

You need to decide which uni you want to go to and ring the admissions office and see if they will accept you without GCSE's the information on the website is not always correct.

But even if I ring the uni and they will accept me without an English gcse, I still need one just to get on the access course.
I guess I'll have to see if I can do one along side my access, just confused as to why the college didn't offer me this anyway.

I was rejected for access the first time I applied. They offered me 2 years too and I took that opportunity. I did GCSE's the first year and Access to HE the second(which I finished this June). Best decision I made. Pre-Access set me up by teaching me the academic skills required for the access course. This helped me to achieve top marks in access. Definitely don't give up.
Reply 17
But even if I ring the uni and they will accept me without an English gcse, I still need one just to get on the access course.
I guess I'll have to see if I can do one along side my access, just confused as to why the college didn't offer me this anyway.

Is there another college in your area? We did a maths and english test before we could get on the course, every college has different enrty requirements.

Also the maths and english I did was not part of the course, it was our responsibility to make sure we had the correct entry requirements for uni so had to sort them out separately.

The access course is mainly for people who didn't do higher education A levels for example there is an expectation that you have a basic level of maths and english. I'm sure you have but you need them certificates to prove it unfortunately.

The access courses have a high drop out because the work is hard going especially the amount in a short period of time. The college's are trying to protect themselves from losing money by making sure the candidates they take on will be able to, academically, complete the course. HE collages are struggling for money and thats what it manly boils down to.

How old are you? It may seem like a long time but if you really want to get into uni and have been wanting it for a long time, a couple of extra months shouldn't be to bad.
I haven't read the replies (sorry!) but most colleges either require you to have the GCSE's in English/Maths before accepting you, the others require you to have one atleast and do along side if needed.
Most Universities require the GCSE's along side the Access qualification (especially health/NHS courses)
Reply 19
At my age, and position in life I'm not really prepared to waste another year just to get onto an access course when I'm more than capable, but I understand why they do it I guess. If there are no other routes I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and do it.
I'll be 26 this month, I feel too old. I'm motivated to get into education to get me onto track to a proper career, doing a separate year basically on a technicality seems pointless to me.
I'm gonna apply at a couple more colleges in the surrounding areas.. The one closest seem to accept people without an English gcse, but ALL their pathways include psychology and aren't as science based as id like. I'm unsure whether to commit to this just because I'll save a year?
There's another 30 miles away that needs English and maths again, but it won't hurt asking if I could do it without English, and do an evening gcse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending