The Student Room Group

Why is it impossible to find normal sized clothing on the high street?

So today I went shopping again and faced what I usually do when I go shopping...

Everything looks like it was designed for a 10 year old who with no hips and no boobs.

Everything is either a crop top or is too short, or is long in the back and short in the front (WHO THE **** CAME UP WITH THAT DESIGN IDEA? IT IS SHAMEFUL.) or just designed in a way that doesn't look good on anyone who is over the age of 14 and doesn't have anorexia. Everything is so tiny. I am an average sized girl 167cm/60kg so it's ridiculous that half the **** they sell is too small for me.

And then they also sell these huge, oversized sweaters/cardigans/shirts, whatever, and it isn't even for plus sized people, it's just these massive sized shirts that nobody would ever buy, I can't even decide if it's a dress/shirt...

Why dont they sell normal clothes? I find it a struggle to find normal fitting clothes.

I'm talking about places like New Look/H&M and so on.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
So today I went shopping again and faced what I usually do when I go shopping...

Everything looks like it was designed for a 10 year old who with no hips and no boobs.

Everything is either a crop top or is too short, or is long in the back and short in the front (WHO THE **** CAME UP WITH THAT DESIGN IDEA? IT IS SHAMEFUL.) or just designed in a way that doesn't look good on anyone who is over the age of 14 and doesn't have anorexia. Everything is so tiny. I am an average sized girl 167cm/60kg so it's ridiculous that half the **** they sell is too small for me.

And then they also sell these huge, oversized sweaters/cardigans/shirts, whatever, and it isn't even for plus sized people, it's just these massive sized shirts that nobody would ever buy, I can't even decide if it's a dress/shirt...

Why dont they sell normal clothes? I find it a struggle to find normal fitting clothes.

Maybe just buy it in the right size?? fairly sure size 16/18 clothes aren't designed for anorexics and aren't tiny at all
I have the same problem only everything is too big for me.... Size 4&6 never in stock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by chumaniward
Maybe just buy it in the right size?? fairly sure size 16/18 clothes aren't designed for anorexics and aren't tiny at all

You do not understand the question.
You do not understand the question.

Maybe your idea of normal is warped?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by AccountingBabe
I have the same problem only everything is too big for me.... Size 4&6 never in stock.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can normally find 6s. :dontknow:
Reply 6
Maybe your idea of normal is warped?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, my idea of normal must be warped, size 6 crop tops are normal. Bye.
Original post by Pathway
I can normally find 6s. :dontknow:

The only places I find 6 is in miss Selfridge or top shop... H&M no chance or new look but if it isn't trousers then I need a 4 and well no chance really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8

Wearing clothes is generic; being naked is like, so next season.
Yeah, my idea of normal must be warped, size 6 crop tops are normal. Bye.

I didn't say size 6 was normal I know I am not the "normal" size but you can't seem to fathom that the reason they sell clothes in these measurements is because the majority of people are this size.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I didn't say size 6 was normal I know I am not the "normal" size but you can't seem to fathom that the reason they sell clothes in these measurements is because the majority of people are this size.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, the majority of people are not size 6. And I did not say it was the measurements that were the problem.
(edited 8 years ago)
The only places I find 6 is in miss Selfridge or top shop... H&M no chance or new look but if it isn't trousers then I need a 4 and well no chance really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can never find 4s in tops, but then I tend to wear most tops oversized anyway so I guess that doesn't really matter. And trousers I tend to size up in too, jeans I can normally find in a 6 in Topshop and Newlook... Failing that, 12/13 in kids and it works the same haha.

Maybe people in your area are just really petite so the smaller sizes go faster? :dontknow:

OP: it could be due to the fact that female bodies in the UK tend to be less curvy nowadays (bigger waists comparatively speaking) and retailers have to cater to the new average body shape (so I guess that means the clothing is more shapeless now - not entirely sure of a better way of phrasing that). Hence if you're more curvy then you might have trouble unless you find the shops that are good for you. I had this problem for a long time, being a 6 and curvy can be quite problematic!
Then just buy a bigger size??? Most shops stock from 8-20 (sometimes more, sometimes less). Depending on the material, sometimes you have to up or down the size, depending on the shop as well.

Crop tops are in at the moment, so of course they are going to be selling them; they want the money. Plus some people do look good in crop tops and it is, well, supposed to be summer. There are also some teens who need those kind of tiny clothes, who have not grown into their body yet. Not just teenagers - grown adults have the "10 year old who with no hips and no boobs" look. You haven't given us your height, but it seems like you're a size 8-12, which is extremely common.

With influx of "curves," there are plenty of shops that cater to busty women and women with back. Clothes that look good on a straight up and down person are not necessary going to look good on a curvy woman. Know your shape. Apple and Pear are very common.

I'm not really sure how many options you need...I'm not even sure how this could be a problem. New Look is quite forgiving in their sizes. H and M are a bit tiny - their size 10 looks like a 6 sometimes, but like I said previously, different sizes for different shops. Some might even say that some have vanity sizing.

If you're still having trouble, since you're on the internet now, why not just order online. There are so many sites for so many different styles, shapes and ages. Honestly I think you just had a bad (or another bad) shopping experience and felt the need to come online and moan about it. To each their own, I suppose...
Argh tell me about it. I went shopping two weeks ago and was looking for some new high waisted jeans, and they were too tight around my hips and ass but way too loose around my waist. WHY CAN THEY NOT MAKE CLOTHES FOR GIRLS WITH BIG HIPS AND SMALL WAIST, GODDAMMIT?!?! :angry: I mean there are many hourglass and pear shaped out there. I'm pretty sure pear is the most common shape.
Don't get me started on plain tops. I can't find one that has a normal neckline, they are either turtle necks or really low!
Original post by Pathway
I can never find 4s in tops, but then I tend to wear most tops oversized anyway so I guess that doesn't really matter. And trousers I tend to size up in too, jeans I can normally find in a 6 in Topshop and Newlook... Failing that, 12/13 in kids and it works the same haha.

Maybe people in your area are just really petite so the smaller sizes go faster? :dontknow:

OP: it could be due to the fact that female bodies in the UK tend to be less curvy nowadays (bigger waists comparatively speaking) and retailers have to cater to the new average body shape (so I guess that means the clothing is more shapeless now - not entirely sure of a better way of phrasing that). Hence if you're more curvy then you might have trouble unless you find the shops that are good for you. I had this problem for a long time, being a 6 and curvy can be quite problematic!

Yes my area does seem to go out of stock much faster in the smaller sizes.
Wish I was size 8 lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe you lack the ability to read sentences in the correct context. I've already explained size 6 is not normal I think we can both agree on that but perhaps you are oddly shaped and don't fit into the normal category also with your measurements. Just because you're a certain weight or height doesn't make you normal sized but bone structure needs to be taken into account which can pull the clothes in a certain direction that they aren't meant to or maybe you're just insecure about yourself and have a warped image when you look into a mirror.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Savage :rofl:
I understand the feeling, I'm a teenage guy (17) and find it a nightmare to find shirts - they've designed them all to look like 'dresses' so that they're extremely long and exceed the ass, looks ridiculous
Reply 17

Calm down. I'm the same size as you.
They are clothes.
Go to other shops. They are many, you don't necessarily have to go to one/two..
Original post by drowzee
Argh tell me about it. I went shopping two weeks ago and was looking for some new high waisted jeans, and they were too tight around my hips and ass but way too loose around my waist. WHY CAN THEY NOT MAKE CLOTHES FOR GIRLS WITH BIG HIPS AND SMALL WAIST, GODDAMMIT?!?! :angry: I mean there are many hourglass and pear shaped out there. I'm pretty sure pear is the most common shape.
Don't get me started on plain tops. I can't find one that has a normal neckline, they are either turtle necks or really low!

Ahh, the high waisted jeans struggle, I know that feel. :lol:
I don't have trouble, I'm a size 6-8.
My mum doesn't have trouble she's an 8-10.
My sister doesn't have trouble and she's a 14.
My best friend who's an 16 doesn't have trouble.

It's just you. The problem is I imagine, that you are buying clothes too small. You do that dull thing some girls do, where you don't face up to the realty of your clothes size, and instead squeeze into smaller clothing making your life more awkward.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest