The Student Room Group

Can I have some advice on whether or not to apply this year?

I haven't always wanted to study medicine- I only really developed a 'passion' for it about 6 months ago because this was when my confidence grew. However, I can honestly see 4 straight rejections if I apply this year because 1) I don't know if my AS grades will be AAAA and garner AAA predictions 2) I don't have the 6 months volunteering, I'll have just over 2 months by the time I apply. UKCAT is going quite good so far, but I just don't know what to do :frown:
Original post by Lularose83
I haven't always wanted to study medicine- I only really developed a 'passion' for it about 6 months ago because this was when my confidence grew. However, I can honestly see 4 straight rejections if I apply this year because 1) I don't know if my AS grades will be AAAA and garner AAA predictions 2) I don't have the 6 months volunteering, I'll have just over 2 months by the time I apply. UKCAT is going quite good so far, but I just don't know what to do :frown:

Well firstly, try not to panic. In answer to your questions:

1) See how it goes - even if you don't get an AAA prediction for this year, you should still stay focused and do your best to get the grades. Then you can apply during a gap year.

2) Quality > quantity. It's as simple as that.

Wait and see what your UKCAT is and your AS results. There is no harm in applying this year, if anything its practice. Yes there is a high rate of rejection in medicine, but you're guaranteed not to get in if you don't even apply.

But you also have to give yourself a break. Medicine has a difficult applications process, full of stress, but you seem to be making it worse for yourself. Take a few days off from thinking about it, go see friends, do something to enjoy your summer. There will still be plenty of time and you'll feel better for it.
Reply 3
Original post by ForestCat
Wait and see what your UKCAT is and your AS results. There is no harm in applying this year, if anything its practice. Yes there is a high rate of rejection in medicine, but you're guaranteed not to get in if you don't even apply.

But you also have to give yourself a break. Medicine has a difficult applications process, full of stress, but you seem to be making it worse for yourself. Take a few days off from thinking about it, go see friends, do something to enjoy your summer. There will still be plenty of time and you'll feel better for it.

Thank you for the help, it is just so hard not to get consumed by the process! :h:
Reply 4
Absolutely no harm in applying!

My passion when applying: non-existent - developed my passion half way through medical school
Volunteering - 1 month (4 sessions)
Now I'm almost a final year

You have as good a chance than anyone (just get AAA predictions!!) If you get 0 offers, then that's perfectly normal when applying to med! Reapply the following year with your A2s.
Reply 6
Original post by vanillapod
My passion when applying: non-existent - developed my passion half way through medical school
Volunteering - 1 month (4 sessions)
Now I'm almost a final year

You have as good a chance than anyone (just get AAA predictions!!) If you get 0 offers, then that's perfectly normal when applying to med! Reapply the following year with your A2s.

Thank you for the advice! I love your username as well :biggrin:
Thank you for the advice! I love your username as well :biggrin:

You're welcome and thanks :biggrin: Good luck with everything! It's a horrible process (waiting for replies from unis whilst your non-medic friends are straight accepted/rejected so quickly), but hopefully it'll be worth it :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending