The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT- Nov 4th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by RichE
Which bit of the solution are you not following?

Pn+1 (Xn - Yn, Yn +Xn)

I don't follow how we arrive at the new coordinates; It's beyond vague (to me) on the Mark Sch.

I see you've answered this before and talk of a 90 deg. anticlockwise rotation. I understand that this gives (-y, x); but why are we doing this? why does it answer the question?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 241
Original post by TeeEm
I wish I could but this is beyond my expertise.

Wait for a purist/problem solver to arrive.

ok, thanks!
Original post by onipo
Pn+1 (Xn - Yn, Yn +Xn)

I don't follow how we arrive at the new coordinates; It's beyond vague (to me) on the Mark Sch.

I see you've answered this before and talk of a 90 deg. anticlockwise rotation. I understand that this gives (-y, x); but why are we doing this? why does it answer the question?
Because we've found out that (in terms of the final change in position), P_n is the same as a move of (x, y).

Pn+1P_{n+1} is P_n, followed by a 90 degree anticlockwise rotation, followed by doing P_n again (followed by a turn the other way to restore orientation, but that's not so important here).

A 90 degree rotation sends the vector (x, y) to the vector (-y, x) and so
doing P_n after a 90 degree rotation will be equivalent to a translation (-y, x).

Adding the two, we get

(xn+1,yn+1)=(xnyn,xn+yn)(x_{n+1}, y_{n+1}) = (x_n - y_n, x_n + y_n)
Reply 243
Original post by DFranklin
Because we've found out that (in terms of the final change in position), P_n is the same as a move of (x, y).

Pn+1P_{n+1} is P_n, followed by a 90 degree anticlockwise rotation, followed by doing P_n again (followed by a turn the other way to restore orientation, but that's not so important here).

A 90 degree rotation sends the vector (x, y) to the vector (-y, x) and so
doing P_n after a 90 degree rotation will be equivalent to a translation (-y, x).

Adding the two, we get

(xn+1,yn+1)=(xnyn,xn+yn)(x_{n+1}, y_{n+1}) = (x_n - y_n, x_n + y_n)

Thanks!

Sorry I was late!
I see dfranklin has cleared the problem as always

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 245
Why is there no partial credit for multiple choice? It is incredibly frustrating
Original post by KMan98
Why is there no partial credit for multiple choice? It is incredibly frustrating

Because the multiple choice is generally seen as the easiest part, the questions are quite repetitive year to year and maybe 1-2 per year are extra difficult. They are very short questions and I think 4 marks is very generous as most of them can be completed in a short space of time by simply brute forcing them and by process of elimination. However since 2014 the number of choices for each MC question was increased from 4 to 5, I guess this is probably to try to counteract the effectiveness of the former method.
Reply 247
Too ...much ...maths
Reply 248
Original post by The G7
Too ...much ...maths

Lol if you're thinking that now then I don't think you should be doing a maths degree :tongue:
Original post by RichE
Which bit of the solution are you not following?

Original post by physicsmaths
Sorry I was late!
I see dfranklin has cleared the problem as always

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm having some trouble formulating a solution to parts 3 and 4 for Question two on the 2010 MAT paper.

https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/files/attachments/test10.pdf

I have had a look at the solutions however I'd quite like to find a different method which would be more understandable?
Original post by Magnesium
Hey, I'm having some trouble formulating a solution to parts 3 and 4 for Question two on the 2010 MAT paper.

I have had a look at the solutions however I'd quite like to find a different method which would be more understandable?

I had a solution along the lines of the official solution but more understandable, ill try and find it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 251
For those of you who are interested or want some more questions to practice with, Cambridge are introducing a test (the CSAT) for compsci applicant and have released some specimen questions (albeit very few) which are of a similar-ish style to the MAT. They can be found here http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/

When I did this paper my solution for part 3 was about (0.5,0.5) would be equidistant from 4 points, hence as r gets bigger the circle "eats" 4 points at once periodically, hence its a multiple of 4.
And for part 4 I talked about how the centre defined there cannot be equidistant to any points, hence as r increases the circle "eats" one point at a time, hence every value of k is achieved. My solution was obviously a lot more indepth but I don't have it to hand. Hope you get the idea and can make your own solution.
Original post by SCalver
When I did this paper my solution for part 3 was about (0.5,0.5) would be equidistant from 4 points, hence as r gets bigger the circle "eats" 4 points at once periodically, hence its a multiple of 4.
And for part 4 I talked about how the centre defined there cannot be equidistant to any points, hence as r increases the circle "eats" one point at a time, hence every value of k is achieved. My solution was obviously a lot more indepth but I don't have it to hand. Hope you get the idea and can make your own solution.

I had the exact same idea but cannot find my solution. This is one of the hardest mat questions made i reckon, a beautiful one albeit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SCalver

I had the exact same idea but cannot find my solution. This is one of the hardest mat questions made i reckon, a beautiful one albeit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou. I did indeed have a solution along those lines but was wondering if there was a more formal approach to expressing it? Not too sure how formal a solution they want for this question since some parts they seem to want more rigorously answered and other parts not.

If the radius is less than the radius required to reach the first 4 points around it, N would equal 0 - this still counts as a multiple of 4 right? as 0 x 4 = 0
(edited 8 years ago)
Thankyou. I did indeed have a solution along those lines but was wondering if there was a more formal approach to expressing it? Not too sure how formal a solution they want for this question since some parts they seem to want more rigorously answered and other parts not.

If the radius is less than the radius required to reach the first 4 points around it, N would equal 0 - this still counts as a multiple of 4 right? as 0 x 4 = 0

Yes it would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: Will try and write up a full solution for this soon.

Yes but be careful when saying this, r cannot be 0 as defined in the question.
Original post by SCalver
Yes but be careful when saying this, r cannot be 0 as defined in the question.

Oh no, I was stating that if r was 0.25, then surely it wouldn't meet the first 4 points. Would having a radius of 0.25 be viable?
Oh no, I was stating that if r was 0.25, then surely it wouldn't meet the first 4 points. Would having a radius of 0.25 be viable?

If N = 0, 0 is a multiple of every integer, hence N = 0 is a multiple of 4 so its obviously viable for r > 0, and we will start getting non 0 multiples of 4 when r >= √2 / 2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending