The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT- Nov 4th 2015

Here is a MAT prep post that I've created in a similar style than that of LOTF's STEP post, because why should the STEPers' have all the fun :wink:. Let me know if I should change/add anything.

MAT 2015

First things first:

-Do not start full MAT papers until at least mid September. Instead, just scroll through past papers to gain a feel of the structure and attempt any questions that look interesting

-Learn C3 and C4. This will deepen your understanding in C1/2, whilst also adding fluency in trig manipulations. It may also help in some max/min questions

-Leave the 2012, 2013 and 2014 papers for timed mocks nearer to the actual exam

\star

Useful Links:

Syllabus
Past papers for MAT/STEP/AEA here
Official MAT Website
If you run out of questions look here
MAT 2006 solution thread
MAT 1992-1995 solution thread
(unfortunately the original op has not been updated so you may need to look through the thread to find your desired solution)

\star

Structure of the exam

-There are 10 multi-choice questions, each marked out of 4. There are no method marks on these questions, you will either get 4 or 0

-The last multi-choice question is often the most challenging (especially in the last two years)

-There are 5 options for the multi-choice section from 2014 onwards, all other years have 4 options per multi-choice question

-Everybody answers questions 1,2 and 5

-Question 2 is a test of algebra skills, question 3 is often graph related, question 4 is geometry of some sort, question 5 is more in the style of the maths challenge, question 6 is logic based and question 7 often introduces new situations/rules

\star

Exam Conditions

-The paper is 2 hours and 30 minutes
-You do not get a formula booklet or a calculator
-You are given blank paper to write on, not lined
-There is only 1 or 2 pages to write on for each of questions 2-7, so be prepared to dot your working around

\star

Tips and Tricks

Spoiler

\star

Pitfalls to avoid

-Don't get bogged down on multi-choice questions as they are only worth 4 marks. If you are struggling, skip and come back at the end (you can always guess if you run out of time)
-Make sure your multi-choice answer is correct by eliminating all other possibilities (eg, 2008 1A, you may think that your calculus method has got the right answer, but can you eliminate all the other possibilities?)
-Square rooting gives 2 possible solutions!
-Take care around inequalities, don't divide by a potential negative number without flipping the inequality!
- If calculus is used to find a max/min, you must justify it is a max/min
-Pay attention to domains, especially in trig questions (this will make sure you don't have more/less solutions than required)

\star

Graph Sketching

Spoiler

\star

Notation

Know when to use \Rightarrow and \Leftrightarrow, for an example see 2008 question 4ii
Know the difference between \equiv and =
You should use \Leftrightarrow whenever you deal with inequalities. Why you should not use \Rightarrow is spoilered below

Spoiler

\star

Overall, the MAT is an aptitude test, so having familiarity in lots of mathematical techniques is crucial to success. Naturally this comes with practice and experience, so try to do all of the past papers from 2007-2014 + all the specimen papers, C3/4, AEA questions and dabble in some STEP questions.

Good Luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just started to prepare for the MAT, looking to apply for maths at Imperial, Oxford, Warwick, Bristol and Bath.
Don't know anyone else doing it, if you are feel free to message me :smile:
I havent seen a thread for this yet, so I made one :smile:

This year the Mathematics Admission Test used by the University of Oxford (and Imperial College London) will be sat on November the 4th 2015, by all those interested in applying to study Mathematics, Mathematics with Statistics, Mathematics with Computer Science, Mathematics with Philosophy & Computer Science.

How is your preparation going? What are you doing to prepare? Discuss here :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by Eux

This year the Mathematics Admission Test used by the University of Oxford (and Imperial College London) will be sat on November the 4th 2015, by all those interested in applying to study Mathematics, Mathematics with Statistics, Mathematics with Computer Science, Mathematics with Philosophy & Computer Science.

How is your preparation going? What are you doing to prepare? Discuss here :colondollar:

I'm taking it.
Well, the only way I can see of preparing is taking the old papers. I intend to do that at the end of august(and lucky enough that I convinced my teacher to grade it. Well, it's also great that we did some of the exercises together in class)
Original post by Bearbert
I'm taking it.
Well, the only way I can see of preparing is taking the old papers. I intend to do that at the end of august(and lucky enough that I convinced my teacher to grade it. Well, it's also great that we did some of the exercises together in class)

Awesome, have you decided on which course/ college yet or are you just focusing on getting in first?
Reply 5
Original post by Eux
Awesome, have you decided on which course/ college yet or are you just focusing on getting in first?

Course? What do you mean? Maths course
And I'm interested in St John's. But you kind of have to choose it before the test
Course? What do you mean? Maths course
And I'm interested in St John's. But you kind of have to choose it before the test

The MAT is taken by applicants to 5 different courses, so you could have been CompSci or Maths+Subject. You do but I'm focussing on preparing for the MAT before i start to look at colleges. Dreading results day as its make or break as to how my AS levels went :s-smilie:

How did you decide which college you want to go to?
Reply 7
Original post by Eux
The MAT is taken by applicants to 5 different courses, so you could have been CompSci or Maths+Subject. You do but I'm focussing on preparing for the MAT before i start to look at colleges. Dreading results day as its make or break as to how my AS levels went :s-smilie:

How did you decide which college you want to go to?

Visiting on open days.
Reply 8
I'm taking it :smile:
What made you choose Oxford over cambridge may I ask? (if you have) :smile:
Original post by Akhaten
I'm taking it :smile:
What made you choose Oxford over cambridge may I ask? (if you have) :smile:

MAT is easier than STEP
Bigger and better city in oxford
Wont get high enough ums for cambridge

Wbu?
Reply 10
I imagine I will be. Have you looked at it much so far?:ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Eux

You probably want to put this in the maths exams sub-forum, as you are likely to get more response/help there :smile:

Edit: Nvm, there's already one here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3480701
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Very useful post, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Akhaten
Just started to prepare for the MAT, looking to apply for maths at Imperial, Oxford, Warwick, Bristol and Bath.
Don't know anyone else doing it, if you are feel free to message me :smile:

Im planning on doing it too. :tongue:
For those who've started the preparation, of the long questions how would you rank them? I find the geometry the most difficult and either 2 or 5 the easiest.

Oh, and I'm envious of those applying for computer science as they get question 6
Reply 15
Im also finding the geometry questions the hardest :smile:
As for multiple choice I have gone from getting 10/10 to 3/10 so its very inconsistent :smile:
I like you mentioned in the long post dont want to waste the past papers earlier on :smile:
With the multiple choice I seem to understand as long as the questions dont involve logs...

I personally will struggle to get into Oxford because of my A level choices, my UMS i dont think will be awful but there is no way i can do step paper three so :P :P
Reply 16
I've added the 2006 and 1992-1995 solution threads under useful links :smile:
Reply 17
For those who've started the preparation, of the long questions how would you rank them? I find the geometry the most difficult and either 2 or 5 the easiest.

Oh, and I'm envious of those applying for computer science as they get question 6

2 is normally the easiest. Don't worry if you struggle on one type of question. When I sat the MAT (last year), I only did 3 marks worth of work on question 5. This is because in past papers I often wasted a lot of time getting nowhere on these questions, so told myself I was just going to do the easy parts and focus on other things (would not recommend this strategy btw, in hindsight I probably could have got about 8/15 on it using results they gave in the question)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Akhaten
As for multiple choice I have gone from getting 10/10 to 3/10 so its very inconsistent :smile:
I like you mentioned in the long post dont want to waste the past papers earlier on :smile:
With the multiple choice I seem to understand as long as the questions dont involve logs...

I personally will struggle to get into Oxford because of my A level choices, my UMS i dont think will be awful but there is no way i can do step paper three so :P :P

Which paper did you get 3/10 on out of interest?

STEP lll looks impossible at the end if year 12, but you'll be surprised by how much you can do after one year of studying!
Original post by Akhaten

What were you A Level choices?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending