The Student Room Group

How long does it take to become a child psychologist?

Hello! I've just finished my GCSE's and I'm thinking about my future career options. I'm thinking of becoming a child psychologist ( not certain though) and I wanted to know how long it would take to become a child psychologist/how many years would it would take? Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)
You need to be sure that this is what you wanna do cause you'll be doing it for a long time. Roughly it'll take you college/sixth form 2 years
And a uni course 3 years
1 or 2 more years if you choose to do further uni study
You're looking at around five years so yep. .

Note: You could do a btec in health and social care to open your opportunities a bit more but they are putting two exams in it now but if you do okay in GCSE you shouldn't be bad at the health and social exams. Or you could just do the a levels but there aren't specific ones directly poignant for child psychologist careers.
GOOD LUCK 👌
Reply 2
It depends on what you mean by child psychologist? There are two main psychology career paths that would involve working with children, and they would be educational psychologist or clinical psychologist. At this moment in time, child psychologist isn't a career in itself.
I don't know much about the educational psychologist path, but for clinical psychology you need to complete your three year undergrad degree (make sure it is a BPS accredited course). Try and do as well in this as possible as to get onto the professional training, many courses are specifying that you need to have achieved at least a high 2:1 to be considered.
Reply 3
Whoops, accidentally posted before I had finished!

So yeah, three year undergrad, followed by three years doctoral training where you combine teaching, research and clinical placements (at least one placement will be working with children and/or adolescents). However, getting onto a clinical training course is renowned for being highly competitive, so you will need to boost your chances by getting a couple of years of relevant work experience and considering post graduate study to bolster your application. It is exceedingly rare to go straight from your undergraduate degree onto the doctorate.
Reply 4
Original post by memifer
Whoops, accidentally posted before I had finished!

So yeah, three year undergrad, followed by three years doctoral training where you combine teaching, research and clinical placements (at least one placement will be working with children and/or adolescents). However, getting onto a clinical training course is renowned for being highly competitive, so you will need to boost your chances by getting a couple of years of relevant work experience and considering post graduate study to bolster your application. It is exceedingly rare to go straight from your undergraduate degree onto the doctorate.

ah right, so it would take roughly 6 years?
Reply 5
Absolute minimum, more like 8-10 years with the time required to get relevant experience to apply for postgraduate training. I completed my undergrad (3 years) have worked full time for two years as an assistant psychologist and am about to start training this autumn. So it will have taken 8 years after I started my degree, but this is quite fast progress.
Original post by Shaistaaa
ah right, so it would take roughly 6 years?

You could also train as a child psychiatrist by going through med school then doing appropriate house jobs. But before all this you need to decide what you actualy want to be because 'child psycologist' isnt really a job.

Quick Reply

Latest