The Student Room Group

A levels for a degree in Law?

Do I need to do law to get into law at uni? I really want to study law at UCL, does anyone know a good combination of subjects? my current option is biology, chemistry, psychology and history, but I'm not sure about chemistry or history. I can change them but I don't know which would give me the best chance at getting in, I was considering politics etc but I can't debate, but obviously lawyers do so would it be good experience??? oh and there's no chance I would do a language.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your actual grades are more important than which subjects you choose. You can do Law A-Level if you wish, but you definitely do not need it, and some universities actively dislike it. The subjects you mentioned above are all fine, but I would probably choose to have at least one arts subject (so in your case that would be history) as the skills are arguably more transferable to a law degree than all sciences BUT some people do 3 science A-Levels and then study law. Basically I would just pick what you enjoy most because you're more likely to get the best grades in those subjects, and your grades are what matters most.

Personally, at A-Level I did Government & Politics, English Literature & Language, French, and General Studies (lol). I also did Philosophy at AS-Level. I hated science all through schooling though so I couldn't wait to be rid of them.
Hey, I'm a Law student. And no you don't have to do law in A levels in order to do at uni. I never did Alevel law but I still got in. I would say the best combo of subjects would be humanities, e.g. English Lit, History or Sociology and a language. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending