The Student Room Group

Conclusion for PS

I have written pretty much my entire PS for university on mathematics, however not the conclusion yet. My intro paragraph talks about how my passion for mathematics began and which part of maths I enjoy the most. My 2nd paragraph goes on to talk about my skills and now I'm just stuck on what to include in my conclusion. Can someone please help me and give any advice on what else I can include in it :smile: 😊 it would really help if someone replied as soon as possible thank you 😊
Reply 1
Why the course is right for you and what you'll get out of it in the long run maybe?
Reply 2
Original post by Detiri17
Why the course is right for you and what you'll get out of it in the long run maybe?

Does that mean I can include the fact that I want to be a teacher..or? 😊
It's best not to talk about career aspirations like that. Just focus on summing up why you are interested in the course
Reply 4
or why you love maths so much.
Original post by Fahmida777
I have written pretty much my entire PS for university on mathematics, however not the conclusion yet. My intro paragraph talks about how my passion for mathematics began and which part of maths I enjoy the most. My 2nd paragraph goes on to talk about my skills and now I'm just stuck on what to include in my conclusion. Can someone please help me and give any advice on what else I can include in it :smile: 😊 it would really help if someone replied as soon as possible thank you 😊

Talk about how you are looking forward to starting University.
Reply 6
You could talk about how mathematicians are constantly needed in an increasingly technologically dependant world (maybe talk about financial markets??), and how your passion and dedication to the subject means you are the best person for this type of course..
Reply 7
Do you need a specific concluding paragraph or can/should the conclusion be just a sentence? It's just I do not think I'll have enough characters for s paragraph even a short one and I think it would seem a bit disjointed. Thanks.
Original post by sombm
Do you need a specific concluding paragraph or can/should the conclusion be just a sentence? It's just I do not think I'll have enough characters for s paragraph even a short one and I think it would seem a bit disjointed. Thanks.

It should really be at least two sentences and in a separate paragraph. It's surprising how much space you can cut out by rewording sentences or removing some words completely
Just a couple of pointers:

Don't talk about anything that happened more than 2 years ago.

Don't try and link all your A levels to maths. Your A levels are detailed elsewhere on your application and people doing similar A levels will have similar skills. So don't waste space.

Extra curriculars should only be a para of about 100 words with a focus on relevant transferable skills.

Your conclusion should come back to your interest in maths, why you want to study it at uni and why you feel prepared for uni.
Original post by *Interrobang*
It's best not to talk about career aspirations like that. Just focus on summing up why you are interested in the course

I disagree. Uni's like that you have done your further reasearch and know exactly where you want to go after doing your course as this obviously keeps you more motivated and they know you're more likely to succeed. Of course only keep it to two sentences though. Maybe this is just my course though as I'm applying for Accounting and finance so it's more obvious. But there is certainly no harm. I've said the career I want and how the Course will develop my skills to succeed in the industry.
Original post by alexp98
I disagree. Uni's like that you have done your further reasearch and know exactly where you want to go after doing your course as this obviously keeps you more motivated and they know you're more likely to succeed. Of course only keep it to two sentences though. Maybe this is just my course though as I'm applying for Accounting and finance so it's more obvious. But there is certainly no harm. I've said the career I want and how the Course will develop my skills to succeed in the industry.

This is coming from years as a PS advisor. The reality is that most people don't go on to do what they think they will at the end of their degree, and most jobs don't need a specific degree, just a grade. I said it's unnecessary, not that it's particularly ill-advised, although it does depend on what they want to do. And having a specific career goal doesn't necessarily make you more motivated
Original post by *Interrobang*
This is coming from years as a PS advisor. The reality is that most people don't go on to do what they think they will at the end of their degree, and most jobs don't need a specific degree, just a grade. I said it's unnecessary, not that it's particularly ill-advised, although it does depend on what they want to do. And having a specific career goal doesn't necessarily make you more motivated

Hmm, ok maybe I should rethink my few sentences then. Thanks for getting back to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending