The Student Room Group

Is Alzheimers a first world problem?

I just had a horrible thought; when I was watching a YouTube video, there was an advert beginning with "Alzheimers... Alzheimers... Alzheimers is becoming a major medical challenge in the 21st century". Then I made the thought that it's a first world problem (in comparison.) How grim.

Thoughts? And would you say Alzheimers is a first world problem in comparison to other problems faced in third world countries?
Reply 1
Third and second world people also suffer from this. I don't understand what you're getting at.
Original post by saeed97
Third and second world people also suffer from this. I don't understand what you're getting at.

But it's not really at the top of their priority list, is it? I know that's not exactly how first world problems are defined, but it has the connotations for it.
Original post by XcitingStuart
I just had a horrible thought; when I was watching a YouTube video, there was an advert beginning with "Alzheimers... Alzheimers... Alzheimers is becoming a major medical challenge in the 21st century". Then I made the thought that it's a first world problem (in comparison.) How grim.

Thoughts? And would you say Alzheimers is a first world problem in comparison to other problems faced in third world countries?

Alzheimers is one of the most degrading conditions people can suffer from, hardly a "first world problem".
Unless you think that Alzheimers doesn't affect people in third world countries?
Original post by plasmaman
Alzheimers is one of the most degrading conditions people can suffer from, hardly a "first world problem".
Unless you think that Alzheimers doesn't affect people in third world countries?

I think the point is being misunderstood. I know that's not exactly how a first world problem is defined, but I would have doubted it being anywhere at the top of their priority list.
I think the point is being misunderstood. I know that's not exactly how a first world problem is defined, but I would have doubted it being anywhere at the top of their priority list.

So you're saying that weconsider Alzheimers such a problem because we have a grip over other diseases/conditions, whereas third world countries have more pressing concerns, like starvation, so deem it to be less of a problem?
Reply 6
http://www.alz.co.uk/research/statistics

As of 2013, there were an estimated 44.4 million people with dementia worldwide. This number will increase to an estimated 75.6 million in 2030, and 135.5 million in 2050. Much of the increase will be in developing countries. Already 62% of people with dementia live in developing countries, but by 2050 this will rise to 71%. The fastest growth in the elderly population is taking place in China, India, and their south Asian and western Pacific neighbours.

Demographic ageing is a worldwide process that shows the successes of improved health care over the last century. Many are now living longer and healthier lives and so the world population has a greater proportion of older people. Dementia mainly affects older people, although there is a growing awareness of cases that start before the age of 65.

There are 7.7 million new cases of dementia each year, implying that there is a new case of dementia somewhere in the world every four seconds.

ADI's World Alzheimer Report 2009 presents the most comprehensive global prevalence study of dementia to date and looks at levels of mortality, disability, strain on carers and dependency. The report includes estimates of the number of people with dementia in each world region. Our Policy Brief: The Global Impact of Dementia 2013-2050 gives updated numbers of people with dementia based on new estimated prevalence rates for China and Africa and new population estimates.
So you're saying that weconsider Alzheimers such a problem because we have a grip over other diseases/conditions, whereas third world countries have more pressing concerns, like starvation, so deem it to be less of a problem?

Kind of. The other part of the thread was the grimness to make such a comparison.
I'm not undermining it, as a close relative of mine has it, but I was curious at the thoughts as well.

I wouldn't have expected it to be a prioritised problem (but I haven't done any research onto the matter if I'm wrong anyway.)
I wouldn't have expected it to be a prioritised problem (but I haven't done any research onto the matter if I'm wrong anyway.)

You probably have a point.
I suppose education about Alzheimers in a lot of poor countries is, well, poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending