The Student Room Group

College Choices

Hi, I'll be starting college in september and I know the A-levels I wish to take. These are English Literature, Geography, Psychology and Religious studies. My choice is betweenn Cadbury College and Joseph Chamberlain. I really cannot decide which one to go to! Geographically they are both accessible to me and I'm not worried about making freinds as I'll know quite a few people at both.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Wondergirl_xx
X

Have you been to both? If so, which did you prefer?
Which has the best grades for the subjects you're taking?
Which has the best facilities?
If they use different exam boards, which would you prefer (think of the different course content)?

Questions like that should help you :h:

Out of those subjects I took English Literature so feel free to ask me questions if you have any (or just about College in general) :hugs:
Original post by Neuth
Have you been to both? If so, which did you prefer?
Which has the best grades for the subjects you're taking?
Which has the best facilities?
If they use different exam boards, which would you prefer (think of the different course content)?

Questions like that should help you :h:

Out of those subjects I took English Literature so feel free to ask me questions if you have any (or just about College in general) :hugs:

After reading that I'm leaning more towards Cadbury because I feel in terms of the environment I would fit in better there. I have heard of more people getting into russell group universities too which is a good sign. Thanks that really did help! :h:
Also in regards with going to college, did you find it difficult to adjust from GCSE to A-level or was it more of a smooth transition where you just fell into it? and regarding English Lit, lots of people have told me there is a lot of work load, which seems probable as there was a lot at GCSE level too but is it quite difficult to keep up with it? :curious:
Reply 3
After reading that I'm leaning more towards Cadbury because I feel in terms of the environment I would fit in better there. I have heard of more people getting into russell group universities too which is a good sign. Thanks that really did help! :h:
Also in regards with going to college, did you find it difficult to adjust from GCSE to A-level or was it more of a smooth transition where you just fell into it? and regarding English Lit, lots of people have told me there is a lot of work load, which seems probable as there was a lot at GCSE level too but is it quite difficult to keep up with it? :curious:

Ah - I'm glad the questions have helped :h:

I found it was a really smooth transition :yes: As it's College, everybody is new, and the college will work hard to make sure you all fit in and adapt to new workloads, etc. There shouldn't be any issues! :h:

With English Lit... I didn't have a very big workload at all, but I know people who were on different exam boards who had a lot more "extra work" to do than me. It really depends on the exam board you're on - do you know which exam board they use? :smile:
@Gingerbread101 had a much bigger workload than me, so her point of view might be a little better :redface:

:wavey:
@Neuth is right about what she's said with the exam boards :smile: I was on AQA, and one half of the exam is based on your wider reading- you need a piece of poetry, prose and drama which you can use to refer to each of the 'contexts' of your course (we did Victorian literature, so this was stuff like women, poverty, empire etc- with about 6 contexts overall). You need to read these, make notes on them and learn some key quotes, as you can't take the wider reading texts into the exam.
At the start of the year, this looked absolutely petrifying! We all started trying to read as much as we could to fit it all in, but it did relax later in the year :h: As we'd finished our coursework texts in class, we started going over potential bits of wider reading in class rather than it being strictly 'wider' external reading. This made the workload a lot better :awesome: There is obviously a lot of writing, and your coursework will take a lot of fine tuning and drafts, but I wouldn't say it's difficult to keep up with :smile: The only major problem we came across was if we were reading a novel for wider reading and it was taking ages- this can be aided with the use of online guides though :h:
Original post by Gingerbread101
:wavey:
@Neuth is right about what she's said with the exam boards :smile: I was on AQA, and one half of the exam is based on your wider reading- you need a piece of poetry, prose and drama which you can use to refer to each of the 'contexts' of your course (we did Victorian literature, so this was stuff like women, poverty, empire etc- with about 6 contexts overall). You need to read these, make notes on them and learn some key quotes, as you can't take the wider reading texts into the exam.
At the start of the year, this looked absolutely petrifying! We all started trying to read as much as we could to fit it all in, but it did relax later in the year :h: As we'd finished our coursework texts in class, we started going over potential bits of wider reading in class rather than it being strictly 'wider' external reading. This made the workload a lot better :awesome: There is obviously a lot of writing, and your coursework will take a lot of fine tuning and drafts, but I wouldn't say it's difficult to keep up with :smile: The only major problem we came across was if we were reading a novel for wider reading and it was taking ages- this can be aided with the use of online guides though :h:

Thanks for that, that was genuinley quite useful :u: I'm not sure which exam board Cadbury do for Lit but I'll soon try and find out. And it sounds like to me that as long as you stay on top of your work it shouldn't be a problem and as I like reading and enjoyed GCSE Literature hopefully A-Level literature will be enjoyable too. Thank you both! :h:
Thanks for that, that was genuinley quite useful :u: I'm not sure which exam board Cadbury do for Lit but I'll soon try and find out. And it sounds like to me that as long as you stay on top of your work it shouldn't be a problem and as I like reading and enjoyed GCSE Literature hopefully A-Level literature will be enjoyable too. Thank you both! :h:

Glad to help, let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest