The Student Room Group

Can someone give me an insight of the great culture of the Middle East & South Asia?

Hi! I'm a uni student but also a creative writer. What i'm really interested in is the culture, imagery and life of the middle east and south Asia. This obviously includes Egypt, Tunisia, Lebanon, India, UAE, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Persia/Iran etc.
If you have origins/family background in any of these places or somewhere else in these regions, I would love to hear from you and your experiences.

Thanks!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have any origins in the Middle East or South Asia, and the only countries I've been to in these regions are Tunisia, Turkey, Jordan, UAE and Sri Lanka. But I do have 2 books in mind that I can strongly recommend if you want to learn more about Middle Eastern culture and history.

Arabian Sands (by Wilfred Thesiger) - is about the author's travels through the deserts of the Arabian Peninsula in the 1940s, and captures the Bedouin lifestyle in a fascinating way.

The Road to Oxiana (by Robert Byron) - is about the author's travels through Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Persia and Afghanistan in 1933 and 1934. His journey ended in Peshawar, India (now part of Pakistan).
Pakistani background. What would you like to know?
Reply 3
Original post by Vindobona
I don't have any origins in the Middle East or South Asia, and the only countries I've been to in these regions are Tunisia, Turkey, Jordan, UAE and Sri Lanka. But I do have 2 books in mind that I can strongly recommend if you want to learn more about Middle Eastern culture and history.

Arabian Sands (by Wilfred Thesiger) - is about the author's travels through the deserts of the Arabian Peninsula in the 1940s, and captures the Bedouin lifestyle in a fascinating way.

The Road to Oxiana (by Robert Byron) - is about the author's travels through Palestine, Syria, Iraq, Persia and Afghanistan in 1933 and 1934. His journey ended in Peshawar, India (now part of Pakistan).

Thank you very much for recommending these books, I will check em out, how do you find going to those places yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Zain-A
Pakistani background. What would you like to know?

Can you give me a little insight into your culture, traditions etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BB1523
Can you give me a little insight into your culture, traditions etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um,being a bit more specific would help but i'll do my best lol.

Usually middle eastern counties/ south Asian will be predominately Muslim, excluding countries like India. So Islam has a big impact on our culture. What I have noticed though is Middle Eastern culture is similar but also very different to South Asian countries like Pakistan, so perhaps its a bit ambitious to try to tackle them all? Why don't you pick a more specific region and focus on that?
Im Indonesian, so many cultures and traditions here, moreover Indonesia has many languages , almost each district has their own language, but its located in south east asia, unlike you want middle east or south asia,

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Middle Eastern cultures is the same In Almost all Arab speaking countries in the Middle East. Many dialects of course but in countries like Dubai most people speak English. So many traditions that have to be followed
Reply 8
9 years on and off living in Turkey, Istanbul and Izmir. Still visit regularly and speak nearly fluent Turkish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest