The Student Room Group

Advice on doing Philosophy and Ethics AS-level (OCR)

Hi I have decided on doing RS to AS-level, along with biology, chemistry and maths to A2. I just wanted ask how you found RS, any general information or advice about studying for the subject and also any wider reading or textbooks that you can recommend ?Thank you
Original post by nihil_nimis
Hi I have decided on doing RS to AS-level, along with biology, chemistry and maths to A2. I just wanted ask how you found RS, any general information or advice about studying for the subject and also any wider reading or textbooks that you can recommend ?Thank you

Its very difficult and it will either be your most loved subject, or your most hated one. There is no in between. It's a very rewarding subject if you do well in it and understand it. It's the sort of thing you need to apply yourself to. It requires you to know a lot of pre-requisites to understand the conclusion. It was my hardest subject, despite doing OK in it. But, you will soon enough experience the amount of stress it is.

Just type in OCR Philosophy and Ethics in TSR forum search bar and read some of the exam threads. Those might help you. I believe in 2014 which I was part of, the subject seemed very popular, so go with that date and if you have time, read through some and see if that's the sort of thing youll like being taught.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Its very difficult and it will either be your most loved subject, or your most hated one. There is no in between. It's a very rewarding subject if you do well in it and understand it. It's the sort of thing you need to apply yourself to. It requires you to know a lot of pre-requisites to understand the conclusion. It was my hardest subject, despite doing OK in it. But, you will soon enough experience the amount of stress it is.

Just type in OCR Philosophy and Ethics in TSR forum search bar and read some of the exam threads. Those might help you. I believe in 2014 which I was part of, the subject seemed very popular, so go with that date and if you have time, read through some and see if that's the sort of thing youll like being taught.

Thank you, which bits in particular were the most difficult ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nihil_nimis
Thank you, which bits in particular were the most difficult ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's quite a subjective question. It depends. For me, it was the some of the ideas and theories. There's a lot of blackholes and contradictions in Philosophy which makes it hard to write about because ultimately you end up contradicting and battling against yourself.

My Philo teacher always said when you're writing a philo response, pretend you have bi-polar 'cause that's what it is! Philosophy is a wormhole of paradoxes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending