The Student Room Group

Allow Transgender people to self define their gender

Poll

Should transgender people be allowed to self define gender?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104639

Transgender people in the UK are forced to pay to prove their identity to a Gender Recognition Panel. This process is humiliating, outdated and unnecessary. We urge the government to introduce an act equivalent to the Irish Gender Recognition Act, and allow trans* people to self-define their gender.

Having your gender recognised by the Gender Recognition Panel requires trans* people to go to pointless expense - whether requiring them to pay administration fees (and having to go through the lengthy and underfunded NHS gender transition system) or paying to attend a private clinic to receive the required evidence as well as paying to be seen by the panel.

Furthermore: no provisions are made for non-binary gender identities.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This may be in the wrong fourmn
Reply 2
bump
Reply 3
I think the gender recognition process makes little sense now we have equal marriage. It only effects birth certificates (you can change passport etc much easier) which to the best of my knowledge only effects marriage and retirement age. We have equal marriage now, if NI needs some special clause then they have have it, so in practice it makes no difference what your birth certificate says. Retirement age has also been equalised since the Gender Recognition Act, I've no idea what else HMRC would care about gender for.

It also gives additional legal protections to trans people but since the Equality Act came in and improved legal protections for all trans people it's not really important.

So what we have is a system that is based upon a legal style judgement but has no real legal implications. What it is it actually achieving? It seems a waste of everyone's time and money and generally pointless now
Reply 4
Original post by BKS
I think the gender recognition process makes little sense now we have equal marriage. It only effects birth certificates (you can change passport etc much easier) which to the best of my knowledge only effects marriage and retirement age. We have equal marriage now, if NI needs some special clause then they have have it, so in practice it makes no difference what your birth certificate says. Retirement age has also been equalised since the Gender Recognition Act, I've no idea what else HMRC would care about gender for.

It also gives additional legal protections to trans people but since the Equality Act came in and improved legal protections for all trans people it's not really important.

So what we have is a system that is based upon a legal style judgement but has no real legal implications. What it is it actually achieving? It seems a waste of everyone's time and money and generally pointless now

Exactly, just let people choose and you will save time and money
Reply 5
Original post by Thisguy11
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/104639

Transgender people in the UK are forced to pay to prove their identity to a Gender Recognition Panel. This process is humiliating, outdated and unnecessary. We urge the government to introduce an act equivalent to the Irish Gender Recognition Act, and allow trans* people to self-define their gender.

Having your gender recognised by the Gender Recognition Panel requires trans* people to go to pointless expense - whether requiring them to pay administration fees (and having to go through the lengthy and underfunded NHS gender transition system) or paying to attend a private clinic to receive the required evidence as well as paying to be seen by the panel.

Furthermore: no provisions are made for non-binary gender identities.

Sorry this is the student room, not tumblr.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Mr.bob

What
EEEEK, my uni friend Ashley Reed made this petition!

I think more recognition of trans and non-binary people is important. Even you don't know a single thing about trans* rights, the question you need to ask yourself is wtf does the government whether you identify as a male, female, neither or anything in between. The government should not be involved in people's self identity.
Reply 8
Original post by Thisguy11
What

What i have emboldened is just another one of them bullcrap "states of existence/identies" or sexualities that tumblr generates on a regular basis.
They can self define their gender if they want but do not hate people for second guessing a relationship or sexual experience with them because at the end of the day they were born with a body of the same sex as you.
Original post by battycatlady
EEEEK, my uni friend Ashley Reed made this petition!

I think more recognition of trans and non-binary people is important. Even you don't know a single thing about trans* rights, the question you need to ask yourself is wtf does the government whether you identify as a male, female, neither or anything in between. The government should not be involved in people's self identity.

Medical Research
Community surveys
Any kind of statistics on a general population level

The government doesn't really give a toss about what you identify as. Biologically, are you male or female, will do.

I'd imagine that the panel exists so that you don't get random people changing their gender for the hell of it, or changing it every 6 months.
This will just be used as a way for men to go into the women's bathroom and snap pics. And vice versa
Reply 12
Original post by ChickenMadness
This will just be used as a way for men to go into the women's bathroom and snap pics. And vice versa

Have you ever had your birth certificate checked going in to a toilet? cause that's all gender recognition certificates changes- it's effectively a re-issue of their birth certificate with the correction made
Original post by Mr.bob

Non-binary genders exist outside of tumblr, and have done for quite a while. There are several societies that recognise a gender that is neither male or female, or one that is both.
Reply 14
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Non-binary genders exist outside of tumblr, and have done for quite a while. There are several societies that recognise a gender that is neither male or female, or one that is both.

In the case of say hermaphrodites then, yes, i agree with you. However in the context of this thread, the OP discusses non binary genders with no physical basis and types which are instead fabricated at the discretion of the individual - which I personally do not agree with.
Original post by Mr.bob
In the case of say hermaphrodites then, yes, i agree with you. However in the context of this thread, the OP discusses non binary genders with no physical basis and types which are instead fabricated at the discretion of the individual - which I personally do not agree with.

The term is intersex, hermaphrodite refers to animals, like snails, that can alter their sexual characteristics or have both male and female sex characteristics.

And no, there are societies that have a third gender, regardless of what their physical body looks like, they recognise the existence of genders that aren't male or female. Seriously. What gender someone identifies as affects you in no way whatsoever. You can be whatever gender you want and leave everyone else free to be what they want.
The state should only be interested in what your biological sex is, what gender YOU identify with is your business.
Reply 17
Original post by ChickenMadness

Because of non-binary people, we should combine all toilets anyway
there are many cases of transgender people being beaten as they enter the "wrong" toilets
Reply 18
Original post by Mr.bob

If someone wants to fabricate, let them, but stop the humilation of people trying to change legal gender
Legal gender should only be changed through a legal process.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest