The Student Room Group

Shia Western Muslim - I need advice

Hello everyone,

i am a Muslim and follow the School of Ahlulbayt (so basically im Shia Believer not Shiite!)
My situation is that i dont know any other Muslims with parallel beliefs as me due to our belief system being a minority in Islam.

In my secondary school multiple people held grudges against me to my beliefs to the extent of trying to use physical violence, this is given that we would have been friends for years and when they find out they turn on me immediately.
The underlying reasons to this im not sure AND THERE ARE MANY 'Sunni' who have no problem and respect my belief but a large proportion dont.

So im heading of to University and for a Muslim its a test of will to stick through while doing nothing religiously unacceptable, but this just makes it more difficult.

My question is that is there anyone else here in my situation?
Should i still try join a Islamic Society regardless of the risk of what happened in my secondary school recurring?

I appreciate any advice i can get as this situation has kept me lonely for a while and has prevented me from being relaxed this summer. Please do not tell me i believe wrong as ive spent many days into researching Islam and this is the route i chose, i dont want to open a debate thread.

Thanks in advance to all who can help.:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by hayderm
Hello everyone,

i am a Muslim and follow the School of Ahlulbayt (so basically im Shia Believer not Shiite!)
My situation is that i dont know any other Muslims with parallel beliefs as me due to our belief system being a minority in Islam.

In my secondary school multiple people held grudges against me to my beliefs to the extent of trying to use physical violence, this is given that we would have been friends for years and when they find out they turn on me immediately.
The underlying reasons to this im not sure AND THERE ARE MANY 'Sunni' who have no problem and respect my belief but a large proportion dont.

So im heading of to University and for a Muslim its a test of will to stick through while doing nothing religiously unacceptable, but this just makes it more difficult.

My question is that is there anyone else here in my situation?
Should i still try join a Islamic Society regardless of the risk of what happened in my secondary school recurring?

I appreciate any advice i can get as this situation has kept me lonely for a while and has prevented me from being relaxed this summer. Please do not tell me i believe wrong as ive spent many days into researching Islam and this is the route i chose, i dont want to open a debate thread.

Thanks in advance to all who can help.:smile:

Assalaam Waliakum,

There is a recognition between scholars of both sides which recognise each other as Muslim....there are a few groups which rule you guys out, the majority is I suppose that you guys are within the folds of Islam.

Universities usually have two, the ISOC and the Ahul Bayt society.
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
Assalaam Waliakum,

There is a recognition between scholars of both sides which recognise each other as Muslim....there are a few groups which rule you guys out, the majority is I suppose that you guys are within the folds of Islam.

Universities usually have two, the ISOC and the Ahul Bayt society.

Thanks alot i didnt know that! i will seek out to see if there is an Ahlul Bayt society at my Uni
Original post by hayderm
Thanks alot i didnt know that! i will seek out to see if there is an Ahlul Bayt society at my Uni

Its because of the difference, hence why there are two separate ones as a result of the differences, very rarely do any collaborate
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
I assume ur a follower of the sunni school and id like to thank you since you are a prime example our elders dont need to be enemies but instead friends of eachother who can collaborate, inshallah Allah makes this religion 1 school.
I'm not 'religious' per se but coming from a sunni family, we have strong ties to Shia families and have always been accepting of one another. IMO though, why do you need to disclose what sect you belong to? I usually just keep quiet about my faith.
Original post by hayderm
I assume ur a follower of the sunni school and id like to thank you since you are a prime example our elders dont need to be enemies but instead friends of eachother who can collaborate, inshallah Allah makes this religion 1 school.

Yeah......a few ISOC's do collaborate, its because of a few issues, so for example I think there are views that shias cannot pray behind a sunni and vice versa. Different views, different aims and different religious perspective, so doing any sort of event becomes a complication hence the existent of different societies to cater for each group. Which technically is better as there is a minimal chance of conflict between the two.
Reply 7
Original post by High Stakes
I'm not 'religious' per se but coming from a sunni family, we have strong ties to Shia families and have always been accepting of one another. IMO though, why do you need to disclose what sect you belong to? I usually just keep quiet about my faith.

Problem arises where if I join a prayer it will immediately show and there will be things (like mutah for example) where if I do it it wouldnt be accepted and cause issues so I try to avoid it.
You should definitely join whatever groups you want to! Sorry about what happened at your secondary school that's really ****ty. Goodluck!
Reply 9
Original post by Soldado
Join whatever you want. This country gave you freedom, dont waste it being intimidated by muslims who see you as a apostate and should be put to death. Do you see how wrong that is. Magic man in the sky isn't there, if he was do you think he would let a group of people physically assault you because you believe a different strain of what they believe?

Thanks and as the fellow above said i will do what i wish :smile: But well that's to your opinion my friend im 100% certain 'magic man' is there and im not an apostate, i simply follow a different path.

Quick Reply

Latest