The Student Room Group

Greatest Defender of all time?

For me it's one of Vidic, Puyol or Maldini.

Scroll to see replies

I think most would say Maldini. Vidic lol you're avin' a larf m8.
Reply 2
Original post by Wilfred Little
I think most would say Maldini. Vidic lol you're avin' a larf m8.

I don't understand Vidic was the best defender in the prem for a good few seasons.
Maldini

Mind you, Franz Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore weren't bad either.
Reply 4
Original post by barnetlad
Maldini

Mind you, Franz Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore weren't bad either.

Also Baresi, not that any of us have seen them play.
Beckenbauer, obviously. He's in a league of his own, then there are loads in a tier below him. Like Moore, Baresi, Figueroa, Scirea, Maldini, Phil Jones and a few others I can't think of. Probably put Moore up there with Beckenbauer actually.
(edited 8 years ago)
Sol Campbell in his prime was pretty hard to beat.

And Tony Adams before drink got the better of him.

But I'd had to pick just one player...Roberto Carlos all day.
(edited 8 years ago)
Eboue by a long shot
Alessandro Nesta.
Before my time obviously but from what I've seen Beckenbauer, Moore and Baresi were class.

Maldini and Hierro were brilliant in their day too, and in terms of full-backs it's hard to beat Roberto Carlos and Cafu.

In terms of the best defensive line-up of all time the Milan team of the late 80s and the French team of the late 90s were both very impressive.
Can't compare anyone to Bobby Moore. Won us the World Cup mate. Well, West Ham in general won us the World Cup thanks to their players but we're talking about defenders so Bobby Moore was class.
Yeah all the major culprits have been named in the thread. Baresi, Beckenbauer, Maldini, Nesta, Moore...

Cannavaro and possibly Ronald Koeman too. Also Paul McGrath.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Yeah all the major culprits have been named in the thread. Baresi, Beckenbauer, Maldini, Nesta, Moore...

Cannavaro and possibly Ronald Koeman too. Also Paul McGrath.

My dad insists Paul McGrath is the best CB in PL history actually...

Amazing given that he was half drunk, and basically couldnt train due to a busted knee.
Reply 13
For me Puyol, though I remember Terry (some years ago) as a wall, especially in the Barça vs Chelsea. He was a great defender at that time, though he keeps being a great defender for Premier League. I would say Maldini, but just for the videos and comments about him, since sadly I could not have the pleasure to watch him
Original post by Zürich
My dad insists Paul McGrath is the best CB in PL history actually...

Amazing given that he was half drunk, and basically couldnt train due to a busted knee.

You'll get no complaints from me. PFA Player of the Year.

Only caught the end of his career and can't remember much. The Villa fans call him "God".
Philip Anthony Jones
Judging only on players i've seen consistently (from the 1990's onwards) I would say Marcel Desailly. The guy was absolute class and a phenom in defence.
Reply 17
Lucio. Maldini. Nesta.
Carragher

Those classy own goals... :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Haraam police
Carragher

Those classy own goals... :sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Big John O'shea too

Quick Reply

Latest