The Student Room Group

Questions for current vet students- international EMS

Current veterinary students of TSR, we would be incredibly interested to hear your opinions on a possible project to help vet students find global work placements.
We are trying to ascertain whether there would be an audience for an online directory for clinical and non-clinical EMS opportunities all over the world, as well as available travel grants and bursaries available to veterinary students. It would include price and application details, reviews and user-submitted photos. It would be regularly updated, and also provide information on how to travel abroad for vet placements cheaply and safely.

1. Would an online database of global EMS opportunities be useful to you?

2. Would you consider a very small monthly (£1-3) membership in order to access the database and be alerted to new opportunities?

3. Would if you be more likely to pay to use the database if some money were to go to selected animal charities?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Yes BUT it would be helpful to know which are endorsed by the universities (Liverpool, for example, will only approve certain placements abroad)

2. Would you consider a very small monthly (£1-3) membership in order to access the database and be alerted to new opportunities?
No, because although a database might be easier, I think I could ask older students/friends for information for free. Being a stingy student here. :P

3. Would if you be more likely to pay to use the database if some money were to go to selected animal charities?
Maybe
Original post by globalvet
Current veterinary students of TSR, we would be incredibly interested to hear your opinions on a possible project to help vet students find global work placements.

What are your motivations? If it is genuinely to "help" you would be best off partnering up with the BVA, AVS and/or SPVS. If it is a business decision you may be able to convince some students to part with their cash but its unlikely to make you rich.

Most of the vet schools have their own restrictions on what counts as overseas EMS, as well as where you can go and how much you count. Generally it is very restrictive and most of the people I know who did stuff overseas had to do it in their own time on top of their existing EMS.

The BVA already offers good (and free!) advice regarding placements overseas plus a 14 page document of supported charities and organisations. If I remember rightly AVS also offers similar advice and has a directory of contacts.

No. There's the whole issue of paying for freely available resources plus the fact that most EMS has to be planned months, even years, in advance so getting "live" updates isn't necessarily going to be particularly helpful.

Slightly. I personally would rather donate my time and expertise to help a charity rather than pay a business to make a token gesture on my part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending