The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers Megathread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by elishabee
My surname starts with a Y, but I'm coming down Saturday because apparently if you arrive on Sunday people have already started forming friendships and it just makes it more awkward

Yeah, they're probably expecting most people to come on the Saturday anyway. I don't want to miss out on a day of freshers either.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by BlueSam3
Will you be joining the annual train of non-freshers wandering around freshers' fair acquiring free pens?

and free pizza...
Saw on their Facebook page that our welcome packs will be arriving soon! :biggrin:
Reply 63
Got In for Maths! Really looking forward to October now!
.... What's all this about surnames from l-z? :s-smilie:
Original post by JM-97
Got In for Maths! Really looking forward to October now!
.... What's all this about surnames from l-z? :s-smilie:

Whether they expect you to turn up on Saturday or Sunday- personally I suggest turning up on Saturday no matter what.
Got in to study History!
Reply 66
Original post by TheIrrational
Whether they expect you to turn up on Saturday or Sunday- personally I suggest turning up on Saturday no matter what.

Oh right, I probably will end up doing that haha
Original post by JM-97
Oh right, I probably will end up doing that haha

The 'l-z' thing is just so they don't have everyone turning up at once. You can still turn up on whichever day you want though. I'd also recommend turning up on Saturday, you'll get a better choice of cupboard/ fridge space and you'll get to know people slightly earlier.
Reply 68
I was wondering whether it is possible to move in on the Friday at all, if you asked permission from the university?
There's only my dad and I, and we're full-time carers, so Saturday/Sunday are really difficult days to organise since no care help is locally available on weekends. I really hate the idea of having to bother administration with this, but I'm a little stuck :/
Reply 69
Original post by D.H.2746
I was wondering whether it is possible to move in on the Friday at all, if you asked permission from the university?
There's only my dad and I, and we're full-time carers, so Saturday/Sunday are really difficult days to organise since no care help is locally available on weekends. I really hate the idea of having to bother administration with this, but I'm a little stuck :/

Only way would be to contact the University. International students typically arrive the preceding week so it can probably be done, but it will need arranging as the keys will otherwise be with your resident tutor, who will only be on hand over the weekend (unless otherwise organised)
Reply 70
Original post by jrs971
Only way would be to contact the University. International students typically arrive the preceding week so it can probably be done, but it will need arranging as the keys will otherwise be with your resident tutor, who will only be on hand over the weekend (unless otherwise organised)

Okay, thank you ^.^ I was thinking that I'd have to contact the uni and ask them. Urgh, effort :P
Reply 71
Hello everyone :smile: I'm quite excited but also nervous as a lot of us probably are. Is anyone studying Computer Science?
Can someone tell me the policy in the halls for a mini-fridge? Ive heard they're banned but does this vary from different halls if they are intact banned at all :smile: would be very grateful!
Also whats a good size TV to bring?! And is there room for like a little cabinet/stand to place it on so my desk space is free?
Reply 74
Original post by harry4625
Can someone tell me the policy in the halls for a mini-fridge? Ive heard they're banned but does this vary from different halls if they are intact banned at all :smile: would be very grateful!

They're banned without a medical reason. But some people have had them all year and they haven't been noticed. Having said that, people have been caught out when Estates have come to fix stuff.

Original post by harry4625
Also whats a good size TV to bring?! And is there room for like a little cabinet/stand to place it on so my desk space is free?

You don't really need one - you probably won't find much time to use it! If you bring a console or something then you might play together or so. Most people hang out in the kitchen, common room, each others room and whatever. I guess like upper 20's " would work or say a 32". But there isn't a lot of room for that kinda stuff unless you're in one of the large room accommodations - Westwood, Bluebell, Sherbourne or so.
Reply 75
Everyones taking about moving in?! I don't even know which of their accommodation I'm in :P What Saturday should we movie in? And anyone else studying Physics?
Reply 76
Original post by SB0073
Everyones taking about moving in?! I don't even know which of their accommodation I'm in :P What Saturday should we movie in? And anyone else studying Physics?

I believe the 3rd and 4th of October are the days we can move in
Original post by jrs971
They're banned without a medical reason. But some people have had them all year and they haven't been noticed. Having said that, people have been caught out when Estates have come to fix stuff.

You don't really need one - you probably won't find much time to use it! If you bring a console or something then you might play together or so. Most people hang out in the kitchen, common room, each others room and whatever. I guess like upper 20's " would work or say a 32". But there isn't a lot of room for that kinda stuff unless you're in one of the large room accommodations - Westwood, Bluebell, Sherbourne or so.

thanks i'll ditch the fridge but my 32' tv will have to come but ill just hope i don't get rootes then haha. Personally I'm hoping for Jack Martin despite the extra costs.
So... do any current/ex students have any little tips or things to look out for for us freshers?
Reply 79
does anyone know when we find out what accommodation we've gotten. And how likely is it that you get your first choice? I'm hoping for Sherbourne

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending